George would have been 80 today

Gil Bang

12 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

Not many know about George's totally custom Mclaren F1.  Probably one of the most valuable F1s in existence.  Easily well over 25 mil value.  

It made an appearance during the Anthology it made an appearance when George is driving up to Paul's studio in it.  Or perhaps he had another McClaren.

Edited by Chad Fuck

• 8 months later...

Great record. Most of the “all star tributes” one sees suck. But this one is one of the all time greats. I attribute it to good songwriting and the fact that you can feel the love each performer is giving. They weren’t there to show off, they were really there to remember their friend and that comes through. Plus they waited a year or so. It wasn’t a morbid immediate attempt to cash in on George’s death.

Anyhow happy birthday George and thanks for the reminder Gil.

On 11/18/2023 at 6:14 AM, G650 said:

It's really crazy to think its been over 20 years. I remember I was driving down Sunset Blvd when I heard on the radio he had passed, one of those flashbulb memories that you can remember every detail.

I have the same thing for the day Belushi died.   I was in High School, and went golfing (for the first time) with a buddy and two of our really great high school teachers. I got in my 67 Mustang after, with KMET on the radio, and they announced his death.  I  can remember that like it was yesterday.  I can even remember the freeway exit I was passing as I heard the news. 

On 11/18/2023 at 6:09 AM, Chad Fuck said:

Great record. Most of the “all star tributes” one sees suck. But this one is one of the all time greats. I attribute it to good songwriting and the fact that you can feel the love each performer is giving. They weren’t there to show off, they were really there to remember their friend and that comes through. Plus they waited a year or so. It wasn’t a morbid immediate attempt to cash in on George’s death.

Anyhow happy birthday George and thanks for the reminder Gil.

13 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Possibly my favorite Beatles song. 

The version of Something from that concert for George is magical. Starts with Paul by himself with a ukulele that George had given him and then gets bigger with Clapton joining.