What are you listening to right now?

UDontKnow

2000s Muse is back? The hardest track they've released in nearly two decades. I tuned into octane several weeks ago and saw Muse was like ummmm wtf checked the station then the 2:23 part kicked in and I was like yeahhhhhh. Never would've thought Matthew Bellamy could growl.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 12:34 PM, TOR said:

Joe was incredibly underrated.  Dude hammered.

One of the GOAT guitar tracks. 

On 1/20/2022 at 8:29 PM, ohchaucer said:

For some reason I always forget to listen to the national. But good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't heard that in awhile. Great song off a very good album. I think they peaked on the next album but it was an extremely impressive back-to-back. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If I had to describe my music preferences, it would be unpredictable. It's all over the globe, but these were some throughout the day yesterday. First one, then spoilered a few others since it technically isn't/wasn't "right now":

Spoiler

Didn't listen to Birdland today, but that's usually one I'll lend an ear to when I'm in the mood for it.

My grammy used to sing around the house a lot, so I've always had a weird fondness for the songs she used to sing. Our oldest would go to preschool singing "Jeepers Creepers" because I sang it to her just like grammy did to me. Here was one I had on while making breakfast. *Headphones on because teenagers don't always share my jam.

Caffeine finally hit midmorning:

Followed by:

and then chilling after supper:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm getting old enough to where I totally forget about bands/artists that I adored until something happens to remind me and then I go back and get all emotional and nostalgic rediscovering shit that I used to love. Some posts above this I was reminded of The National and realized it had probably been a couple years since I'd played anything of their's.

The problem is - a lot of these artists are rooted in visceral memories. My high school/early college girlfriend (which remains the most serious relationship I've been in) told me she loved me for the first time after we went to see The National. Not everything is THAT poignant - but it becomes a compounded effect when you both hear great shit for the first time in awhile but also recall where you may have been when that was the soundtrack.

For some of these artists - I was in a pretty great place that I miss. For others - I was in a shitty place. It can be a pretty powerful experience regardless. I really can't imagine being 30 years older than I am now - and potentially hearing something that I haven't heard for 35 years. I'd try and imagine it has the ability to almost put you in a different plane of existence in that moment. 

All that to say, today's artist:

More if ya dig

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

Great post @ztejas and I have quite a bit of a similar refrain. Food, film, music, etc for me is a smorgasbord and I sample and enjoy based on whatever I'm feeling. I'm loyal to the artists I love, but am happy to invite new friends into the fold. Some of the works are irrevocably tied to painful memories, but what a testament to a life filled with emotion.

I'll give your song list a listen!

Today I'm going to the wayback machine and listening to a song my older brother introduced me to when I was about eight years old. It was before his time and mine, but praise the lord he was and is a vinyl aficionado. Here's to my bff at the time and the lip sync production that brought down the house at Macarthur Elementary.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sometimes I sit around wondering what Peter Gabriel thought the first time he heard Phil Collins sing “you can’t hurry love”. But then I remember Phil is one of the most talented musicians (drummer!) and songwriters of all time and then appreciate that he and Peter made amazing things together and then went and made amazing things apart. Anywho;

• Like 1