What are you listening to right now?

UDontKnow

19 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Knowing the surly range of musical tastes, this group is probably on this thread, but I just learned about them when I found out my old DCI corps is gonna do this tune this summer.  Very Berklee.  Not bad.

Couple things

She has an awesome set of pipes and I find her sexy AF. Bass player seems nice, too.

I'm trying to imagine this tune with a Corps treatment and I'm striking out. Be sure to post a vid whenever you catch one.

• Hook 'Em 1

Heard it again this morning. It’s a great song. I’ll never hear it without thinking back to the day my older brother was out bicycling with the neighbor dude (Dave) on some country road. They had a transistor radio with them and my brother reported that this was the song playing when Dave got clipped by the side view mirror of a passing truck. Fucked him up pretty bad but fortunately didn’t kill him. (Dave’s older brother Ken introduced me to Frank Zappa but it would be years later before I got it.)

• Hook 'Em 1

Such a smooth intro. This opened the second set. The song originally debuted as “Wave That Flag” but it evolved. There’s a great scene in The Grateful Dead Movie where a happy dude on the rail is singing along in total joy.

This is from Providence, RI the day before From The Mars Hotel, the album where the song appears as a studio version, was released. 

Been on a string kick lately. Itzak Perlman just an absolute treasure. One of my children was in orchestra through high school and still plays now and then. One of her friends plays professionally with a symphony here in the States. I don't know classical music the way I should but I do enjoy it.

Two that were in the queue:

There is an amazing one that is on YouTube that unfortunately the user blocks  from being 'shared'.

It is a duet from 1997 with Perlman and Pinchas Zuckerman (viola)  playing Halvorsan-Passacaglia and Sarabande with variations on a theme by Handel. Outstanding. If you're interested just visit YouTube and use the key words above and it should pop up.

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

ive been obsessed with this song, and never knew it was the biggest dude in the band doing the falsetto

I was initially confused by 1967, because I would have guessed late 50s or early 60s.  And I was right, initially recorded in 1959 and charted in 1960.

Surprised it was still getting run in 1967, with the psychedelic "asbestos" background.  Da fuq.

37 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Thanks for sharing. This one speaks to my 90’s pop punk sensibilities.

I prefer the live versions of social d’s prison bound more than the studio version.

Skip to the 1:20 mark of the live at the roxy version unless you want storytime from Ness.

Lake Street Dive did a new video from the park in Boston where they first went 'viral' with the Jackson 5 song.  This time, Bonnie Raitt.   Man, when they get a great song, they are hard to beat.  I'm glad they added back a guitar player. The new keyboard guy is really good, esp on vocals, but they were missing that guitar. 

From 2012:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2