What are you listening to right now?

UDontKnow

This isn't me being drunk (per usual) or overreacting. This is the best album of any genre I've heard in 2 or 3 years. 

If y'all don't like hip-hop at all then maybe ignore it but for anyone that likes to explore genres I'd recommend you give it a spin. I'm pretty blown away right now. 

For those with a passing interested in the Dunedin Sound / Flying Nun / New Zealand music, drummer Hamish Kilgour passed away this week. So been listening to a lot of the Clean. My favorite of theirs

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/07/an-understated-power-hamish-kilgour-of-the-clean-remembered-as-a-restless-innovator

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2018 at 9:40 AM, Shoxthemonkey said:

I've been on a Samantha Fish kick lately.

I find this 4 years later. Thank you. I love finding stuff that's new to me. Especially a bad ass jam like this one. I am a little bored with the same music I've been listening to since 1975.

To get away from the album rock thing, may I suggest Duke Ellington and Johnny Hodges, Back to Back album. 

On 12/7/2022 at 11:38 AM, yoladu said:

For those with a passing interested in the Dunedin Sound / Flying Nun / New Zealand music, drummer Hamish Kilgour passed away this week. So been listening to a lot of the Clean. My favorite of theirs

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/07/an-understated-power-hamish-kilgour-of-the-clean-remembered-as-a-restless-innovator

Love the Clean and glad I got to see them.  Flying Nun Records is great--didn't catch the Chills last fall but would have liked to.  Also love me some Jean Paul Sartre Experience.  The Bats are touring now.  

12 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

Love the Clean and glad I got to see them.  Flying Nun Records is great--didn't catch the Chills last fall but would have liked to.  Also love me some Jean Paul Sartre Experience.  The Bats are touring now.  

i am guessing you and I could talk hours on this subject.. 3Ds, The Verlaines, Bailter Space, The Cake Kitchen, This Kind of Punishment, Straightjacket Fits, Tall Dwarfs, and on and on and on..

Did you see the Clean at Club DeVille was back when?

The Bats are touring the United States?! Any other info you can point me to? Not finding anything.

Edited by yoladu

1 hour ago, yoladu said:

i am guessing you and I could talk hours on this subject.. 3Ds, The Verlaines, Bailter Space, The Cake Kitchen, This Kind of Punishment, Straightjacket Fits, Tall Dwarfs, and on and on and on..

Did you see the Clean at Club DeVille was back when?

The Bats are touring the United States?! Any other info you can point me to? Not finding anything.

Sorry--wrong bats.  Thought I saw them listed but was Fruit Bats.  I do like The Bats.  I would have loved to attend this a few years ago:

https://www.flyingnun.co.nz/blogs/news/flying-nun-40th-anniversary-show

Saw the Clean a few years back at Rock and Roll Hotel in DC.  They were still really good.  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

A song off of this album wound up in my head because I was listening to a related track ("I can't go for that" by Hall and Oates) - so I went and pulled up the song in question for the first time in awhile.

This is a record that when I hear it it conjures some pretty vivid memories. Some of those are good some of those are bad. I actually had to pause the song I had pulled up because it was a total overflow of emotions from a previous chapter in my life and I wasn't ready for it. 

Needless to say - this is an insanely good record and I think has only gotten better as it's aged. There's really nothing before or after it that I could even compare it to off the top of my head.

(to a larger point - music is wild. I'm sure there are some songs or albums that elicit some pretty powerful emotions or memories for some of you - especially if you haven't heard them in awhile)

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I’ve been listening to some Prince hits this week for no particular reason. 

then I remembered that March was the 50th anniversary of DSOTM. And after that i realized that purple rain was released on 1984 which means 2 things:

1) it will turn 40 next year. Oof

2) it was released only 11 years after dark side of the moon. 

for some reason, that second thing short circuited my brain. It feels like they should be 25-30 year apart. But then I started thinking and 10 years is forever in music. 

also 11 years apart- Led Zeppelin breaks up and just 11 years later nevermind is released/grunge starts.