What are you listening to right now?

UDontKnow

• 2 weeks later...

This is such an underrated, absolute powerhouse track.

I know it's been played to death. That might be partially to blame for why I don't think it gets the credit it deserves. This is an amazing song. 

(And it pairs with More Tears, which is one of the greatest songs ever recorded by anybody)

Edited by ztejas

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2023 at 10:43 PM, CooterBrown said:

I clicked expecting a jam but what I got was some milquetoast G rated corporate pop music. Was that the right link?

On 3/16/2023 at 10:20 PM, Fondren & Main said:

This band, Austin’s own, they fuck.

Felt super 80's and trying to be ironic or retro?

42 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Felt super 80's and trying to be ironic or retro?

I don't know.  I think it's their style.  They've had some newer songs released that have some folk/country influence and even some steel guitar.  Mainly I like the ethereal synth/guitar sound.  That song was with the vocalist I prefer, but I like the guitar player too but he's got more of an emo style of vocals.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/8/2023 at 9:46 PM, HiggyBaby said:

Takes me back to some late nights at the pool hall… b05b1e4e541a65625defcab66aedb8a4.jpg

Ch 349 on Sirius XM is Dwight Yoakum & The Bakersfield Beat. Fairly eclectic mix of songs and genres. About every fourth song is from DY. You never know what you will get for the other three. Found the station last week and have enjoyed it. 

In fact, I was listening on Saturday night when the song I posted directly above came on. 

Edited by squib

Any Natalia fans? I completely missed that she released an album at the end of 2022. I honestly don't speak as much spanish as I'd like to understand every song without having to translate a lot of it, but damn she makes beautiful music. Makes me feel like I'm listening to art and poetry at the same time. 

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Daughter's latest video:

Damn, I’ve actually heard of them before. My friend said he saw them live once in austin and was pretty impressed. And he’s a guy with his own band that has over 50k monthly Spotify listeners. So tell your daughter that her band is legit.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Damn, I’ve actually heard of them before. My friend said he saw them live once in austin and was pretty impressed. And he’s a guy with his own band that has over 50k monthly Spotify listeners. So tell your daughter that her band is legit.

Thanks, I'll pass it on.  I'll tell you, I'm biased, but I'm not an idiot . . . the first time I saw them ~ 14 months ago I thought "holy shit, these gals have something going on here".  It's only skyrocketed since then.  They're touring North America twice in the next 6 months and just got added to ACL Fest for both weekends.  I hesitate to post too much (because surly) but I think plenty of our surlies would like them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Back in June 2021 we went to see the 20th anniversary of Grupo Fantasma at ACL Live.

The opening band was a group called Nané. We had never heard of them. The portly lead singer strolled out with white pants and bright orange shirt, looking nothing like a lead singer. I actually nudged my girl and chuckled because, who was this guy?

That chuckle ended quickly when they started, and just crushed it for 45 minutes. They were non-stop energy in an incredible performance from one song to the next. We were blown away. It was rock, funk, soul and just a ridiculously good show. And he could SING.

I bought tickets to see Austin FC a few weeks later for my kids, and they happened to be playing before the game with Daniel, the lead singer, performing the national anthem. They were quickly one of our favorite bands and local acts. They were unique, intense, fun and Daniel was charismatic and dynamic.

About 8 months later he died, age 29. Totally shocked. It was only a few days after the city of Austin had proclaimed a "Nané Day" to recognize their growing influence and popularity. I found out they started while at UT in 2016. They were just taking off.

That was about a year ago. I've been listening a bit more lately.

Their album is damn good and if anything has grown on me more since then. Blue Velvet, Always On My Mind and several others are great.

This one currently - Clementine Tree

• Like 2

Every few weeks youtube's algorithm will push a link to Norm's Rare Guitars updates and I always think, man that Lemmo dude can play a f'n guitar, but I dont know that I ever heard anything by his band. I stumbled across his spotify page the other day, and he's actually got some good shit. I'm digging the guitar heavy sound  on this one and the solo at ~ 2:10 is a little ridiculous

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...