What are you listening to right now?

UDontKnow

So I just "found out" about Pet Shop Boys. West End Girls came on at a place I was at and I immediately dug it and decided to research further. First album "Please" is very solid and completely ahead of the curve for '86. Second album "Actually" ('87) I thought was fairly meh (vocals are way too 80s at times and don't age well) and instead of continuing down the track I hopped over to "Behaviour" ('90) based on snippets I'd read doing some cursory wikipedia reading. 

As I'm doing this, I realize that Hot Chip (an artist I'm a big fan of) is basically just a Pet Shop Boys tribute (NTTAWWT) and it kind of opens the musical catalog part of my brain and induces a "oh okay... I fucking get it now" moment. 

So I throw Behaviour on and it takes all of 2 minutes before I'm hooked. There are certain records that I've listened to over the years that sort of just instantly speak to me, but unfortunately the more you dig and unearth the harder it becomes to find those gems that you haven't experienced yet. It's like getting back in touch with how you appreciated things as a child and it becomes more and more fleeting, but fortunately I'm young enough to where there's still some of these records floating around out there. 

This is definitely one of them. Just completely blown away. I know I'm supposed to link to something, so here's a couple stand outs I guess.

Reading the Food and Travel board I came across to the 2022 crawfish thread. The OP mentioned a warm December and it reminded me of the Counting Crows song A Long December. And how I used to own that album. And how Adam Duritz, the lead singer of Counting Crows, recently performed it on Seth Meyers show when David Letterman, who was a fan, was a guest. And how different Adam looks now than he did then, and how silly stupid posturing and going for a “look” is. But it really is a nice song.

Then:

Now:

^^Food and music are wonderful together.

I made meatballs yesterday for the freezer, but held back a portion for tonight's meal. Kiddos are away until late so it's Italian night for the grownups. Here's the lineup for this evening:

Americano cocktail in hand, during the meal prep:

Evening in Roma and That's Amore by Dean Martin, Quando, Quando, Quando by Tony Renis (the first to record it I believe)

During the meal (salad, pasta with meatballs and homemade red sauce), a nice red wine--whatever spouse picks)

Bella Ciao I prefer just the piano, but went with the vocals this time.

The rest I won't list it's mostly a top ten of Italian composers and, like the songs above, ones with which you're likely familiar (composers such as Rossini, Vivaldi, etc)

And then dessert but that's all I've got to say about that:

Spoiler

It probably would've been easier just to play the soundtrack from Moonstruck, but I like to mix and match songs and listen to my husband's comments about the picks.

22 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Oh shit - didn't know they dropped an album. These guys are awesome. Remind me of a lot of the dream pop that was going around when I was in HS. 

In fact - they sound a LOT like Yumi Zouma - which isn't a bad thing. 

Edited by ztejas

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Oh shit - didn't know they dropped an album. These guys are awesome. Remind me of a lot of the dream pop that was going around when I was in HS. 

Yeah, her look reminds me of Gwen Stefani, but the band vibe is much more chill than her music was. This one is also good, with that slow chill vibe. 

Edited by Dutchrudder