Best Sequel?

MoJames

For me it is and probably always going to be Terminator 2. This might be due to the point in life when I saw it and the amount of effects and the amount of hype you walked out of the theater with. If I'd grown up when Godfather 1 and 2 rolled out it might be a different story. Anyways, I'm sure there are plenty of opinions, but mine always comes back to Arnold.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

If we're all honest, there's about a core group of 10 films that followed that were as good, possibly even better than their source original.  It's the same list over and over and over again.  You can debate where they belong on the Top 10 list, but it's about 10 films.  Every other attempt at reboots, prequels, sequels, et. al.  has been fucking garbage.  It's actually comforting.  we know that not every internet-inspired reboot is worth a shit.  Sometimes the original vision, and maybe one other version can stand the test of time.  We debate this every year and more or less, it's the same collective of films.  I like that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If you want to debate this topic, you're debating second place.  Godfather II is the gold standard.  Terminator 2 is great, as are Empire and the Two Towers.

Among those 4 I'd go Godfather II, Two Towers, Terminator 2, Empire

Edited by Al_4_ISU

1 hour ago, rage-a-holic said:

Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan Movie Review for Parents

Good call. While Empire Strikes Back is much better than Wrath of Khan, relatively speaking the Wrath of Khan was so much better than the original Star Trek movie. Empire is def better than Star Wars A New Hope but at a much smaller scale.

Khan more than likely allowed Star Trek to continue making movies leading to all of the other series. Star Trek 1 with Vger was horribly bad. Bald chick was hot though.

• Hook 'Em 1

Gremlins 2.

There's an interesting story behind this one, but the sum of it all is that the creator had no limitations to how silly he could be, and went all in.

Runner-Up but only because it was disqualified on a technicality:

Big Trouble in Little China

Started its life as a sequel to Buckaroo Banzai. Became this instead. And for that, we're all grateful.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Gremlins 2.

There's an interesting story behind this one, but the sum of it all is that the creator had no limitations to how silly he could be, and went all in.

Runner-Up but only because it was disqualified on a technicality:

Big Trouble in Little China

Started its life as a sequel to Buckaroo Banzai. Became this instead. And for that, we're all grateful.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rage-a-holic said:

Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan Movie Review for Parents

Good answer.

32 minutes ago, smuggs said:

bruce-campbell-evil-dead2.gif

Great answer. And I liked Army of Darkness even better.

And on the topic of Sam Raimi, Spider-Man 2 belongs here.

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Good call. While Empire Strikes Back is much better than Wrath of Khan, relatively speaking the Wrath of Khan was so much better than the original Star Trek movie. Empire is def better than Star Wars A New Hope but at a much smaller scale.

Khan more than likely allowed Star Trek to continue making movies leading to all of the other series. Star Trek 1 with Vger was horribly bad. Bald chick was hot though.

The director's cut vastly improved on the original. It's still no Wrath of Khan, but it's actually a good movie. A lot of the problems were caused by the studio's desire to rush the film out for the holidays, so the theatrical cut was... unfinished.

31 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

The director's cut vastly improved on the original. It's still no Wrath of Khan, but it's actually a good movie. A lot of the problems were caused by the studio's desire to rush the film out for the holidays, so the theatrical cut was... unfinished.

Yep. Anyone that was meh about the original should go watch the 4k director's cut. I have the 4k disk and it's fucking great.

https://trekmovie.com/2022/09/07/star-trek-the-motion-picture-the-directors-edition-stuns-on-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray/

sttmpde4kuhd3doslv_0-501x640.jpg

Edited by rage-a-holic
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Yep. Anyone that was meh about the original should go watch the 4k director's cut. I have the 4k disk and it's fucking great.

https://trekmovie.com/2022/09/07/star-trek-the-motion-picture-the-directors-edition-stuns-on-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray/

sttmpde4kuhd3doslv_0-501x640.jpg

i just have the 480p dvd edition because I'm poor but at any resolution it's still better than the shit show they tried to throw into theaters 

59 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Wrath of Khan is also a great movie as a stand-alone. Even if it wasn't tied to Star Trek, or sci-fi in general, it would still be a great movie. Sci-Fi was just a setting; it could have taken place at sea in the 18th or 19th century. It would have been great as a Master and Commander story with Russell Crowe. 

Shatner and Montalban were a fun watch, and I'd say it's Shatner's best work. 

6 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Gremlins 2.

A decade and a half ago, the Onion AV Club had a fantastic write-up on why Gremlins 2 is a classic.

https://www.avclub.com/the-new-cult-canon-gremlins-2-1798214634

Spoiler

Like it or not—and I happen to love it—Gremlins 2: The New Batch is pure Dante, a $50 million exercise in barely controlled chaos that doubles as a Mon Oncle-esque comment on sterile, mechanized modernity. And the film’s subversive nature is rooted in the fact that Dante secretly aligns himself with the gremlins. Like them, he’s a creature that thrives on disorder; he’s most at home when he’s scribbling outside the margins, picking apart tropes instead of following them. Also like the gremlins, he would like nothing more than to see the film’s ultra-sleek, gadget-filled New York office building fall apart; even before they arrive, Dante is already cracking jokes about runaway revolving doors and soulless corporate complexes. (The tagline for a proposed Chinatown Center: “Where business gets Oriented.”)

Spoiler

Gremlins 2 is a tribute to the mischief-making cogs in the machine, the kind that don’t lend themselves to cute merchandising. It’s also a great example of what happens when an iconoclast gets to do more or less whatever he wants on the studio dime. Warner Brothers probably didn’t get the sequel it wanted, but then, they didn’t have a cuddly suction-cup-creature directing the film. When gremlins like Dante muck up the works, that’s how Hollywood accidentally produces art.

First star trek movie was actually pretty good imo.

But I think Magnum Force was far superior to Dirty Harry, even if Magnum Force didn't have the easily quoteable one liners all the others in the series did.

Dirty Harry- Callahan violates killer's rights to save girl, killer gets released on a technicality, Callahan goes rogue and acts as jury and judge and kills the killer completely bypassing an ineffective criminal justice system.

Magnum Force- a "new breed" of cops are committing extrajudicial killings, inspired by Callahan doing the same in Dirty Harry. When Callahan doesn't join them, they try and  take him out. He kills them all, while making the argument that even criminals have rights and cops have to have oversight, even if that means some criminals get away with it. 

A decade and a half ago, the Onion AV Club had a fantastic write-up on why Gremlins 2 is a classic.
https://www.avclub.com/the-new-cult-canon-gremlins-2-1798214634
Spoiler

Like it or not—and I happen to love it—Gremlins 2: The New Batch is pure Dante, a $50 million exercise in barely controlled chaos that doubles as a Mon Oncle-esque comment on sterile, mechanized modernity. And the film’s subversive nature is rooted in the fact that Dante secretly aligns himself with the gremlins. Like them, he’s a creature that thrives on disorder; he’s most at home when he’s scribbling outside the margins, picking apart tropes instead of following them. Also like the gremlins, he would like nothing more than to see the film’s ultra-sleek, gadget-filled New York office building fall apart; even before they arrive, Dante is already cracking jokes about runaway revolving doors and soulless corporate complexes. (The tagline for a proposed Chinatown Center: “Where business gets Oriented.”)

Spoiler

Gremlins 2 is a tribute to the mischief-making cogs in the machine, the kind that don’t lend themselves to cute merchandising. It’s also a great example of what happens when an iconoclast gets to do more or less whatever he wants on the studio dime. Warner Brothers probably didn’t get the sequel it wanted, but then, they didn’t have a cuddly suction-cup-creature directing the film. When gremlins like Dante muck up the works, that’s how Hollywood accidentally produces art.

There was a great Key & Peele sketch on this.