Tom Sizemore is on his deathbed

Parliament

On 2/28/2023 at 11:28 AM, Bateshorn said:

This one will hurt.  He was in several of the best action films of the last 30 years and was often the glue that held an ensemble cast together. He just had a natural ease for action acting. 

There’s a moment in Saving Private Ryan on the beach where he takes out a dip in the course of a scene transition.  It’s such a little movement, but it was so natural and easy.  Just a bit of umami, so to speak, that makes the shot .

For me, the action is the juice.

It was this scene. You’ll see it when you see it. The guy borderline out shown Tom Hanks.  RIP to a dude who burned out, rather than fade away.  He brought all of us a lot of joy in movies. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just re-watched Heat last week. For me the action is the juice. 

I read once that what makes actors like Christopher Walken so interesting is that you don't really know what's going to come next. Sizemore had that quality. Terrific presence in any movie he was in.

Rest in peace.

• Hook 'Em 3

True Romance is a pretty freaking weird movie. I guess the result is what happens when Tony Scott directs a Tarantino script. Most of it works. The Hopper monologue is just weird text, but the scene works because it’s Hopper and Walken. The Tony Soprano - Patricia Arquette fight scene was remarkably shitty. Way over the top Tony Scott action sequence + Arquette somehow beats the shit of a 6’3’’ 300 pound man. Sizemore sparkles a little, but they didn’t give him much to do. 

I wish Michael Mann had grabbed that script if the studios weren’t going to let QT direct it it. 

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

True Romance is a pretty freaking weird movie. I guess the result is what happens when Tony Scott directs a Tarantino script. Most of it works. The Hopper monologue is just weird text, but the scene works because it’s Hopper and Walken. The Tony Soprano - Patricia Arquette fight scene was remarkably shitty. Way over the top Tony Scott action sequence + Arquette somehow beats the shit of a 6’3’’ 300 pound man. Sizemore sparkles a little, but they didn’t give him much to do. 

I wish Michael Mann had grabbed that script if the studios weren’t going to let QT direct it it. 

It wasn’t the studios that didn’t let QT direct True Romance.  He had that script at the same time as Reservoir Dogs and he was offered the chance to direct both.  He passed on directing True Romance because he didn’t think he could do both.  Those are two of my all time favorite movies.