LSU @ Texas - 6:30 on LHN

Horny Bull

Another O'Dowd...guy that's been around way too long to have never shown anything.

Powell. First two seasons. 22 ABs. 7 hits, 3 doubles, 2 HRs.

So he got 8 ABs the next season. He’s about to have a career high in ABs.

He had a big RBI off the bench in the series clincher versus USF in 2021.

I don’t know if he can hit long-term, but he showed enough early here to warrant more chances.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Who knows how this team will turn out. They’ve played 8 games and been competitive in 7.

Position players are playing in situations they haven’t previously. Campbell has never been a full time starter. When is the last time ODowd got consistent playing time? Dalys at a new position. Freshmen at the corners.

In baseball, 8 games isn’t shit. At every level, there are teams every year that start slow and finish strong. We were dominant to start last year then had a pitiful CWS showing. For this team, I’d prefer a slower start and stronger finish.

As to the pitching, Pierce needs to try more guys. He needs to learn how to steal innings better. Stuart has pitched in 5 of 8 games. Same for the other bullpen guys. It’s either 5 appearances or 1. That’s too many particularly this early in the season. When your starters aren’t going deep into the game, you need to strategically fill innings. This also ties into him not defining roles very well. In a 12-2 win versus Corpus, we ran out guys that have pitched in 4/5 games already.

Baseball requires patience. This team will need to exhibit that.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Championship level baseball

- Hurd (their starter) had a 1.06 era with 48K's in 34 innings last year at UCLA

- Ackenhausen (reliever) had an era of under 2 while at juco (E. Okla).   Don't care what level,  era under 2.00...

- LSU was hitting .328 before this game (though weaker teams) but limited to 4 hits

- Hope Pierce develops full confidence in Woody and gives him control of staff

tl;dr:   Relax

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

As to the pitching, Pierce needs to try more guys. He needs to learn how to steal innings better. Stuart has pitched in 5 of 8 games. Same for the other bullpen guys. It’s either 5 appearances or 1.

I mean, isn't that how baseball works at this level? You have your 4-5 primary relievers and those dudes eat up the important innings therefore they are going to have the majority of the appearances. Pierce George and Sam Walbridge are going to get their work in against Houston Christian and A&M Corpus Christi.

I'm going to assume Tole wasn't available tonight. So at a certain point we had used Hurley, Shaw, Burke and Stuart. That's our top 5 bullpen arms burned or unavailable, and we were lucky to steal the outs we did from Shaw considering how shaky he looked.

Just now, torre said:

- Hope Pierce develops full confidence in Woody and gives him control of staff

What do you mean by this? Like you want him making all pitching decisions and going out to the mound to take the ball?

The head coach is the head coach for a reason. And I'm sure this coaching staff is like every other staff in the country where they meet every day to talk through their plan for games and who they want to use where and in certain situations, and I'm going to assume the pitching coach has heavy input in that plan.

I would totally like to win obviously, but nothing I saw tonight was terrible.  We hit hard hit balls right at people and lost to the #1 team in the nation.

We pitched into and out of multiple jams and performed well on defense.
I like this team and see some upside if we can get some hitting.

• Hook 'Em 3

58 minutes ago, HuntinHorn said:

Pierce needs to be kicked in his midget nuts for bringing in 88 in that situation.

Duplantier didn't look comfortable in his warm ups. You could see it on his face.  He was either nervous as shit, in pain or knew he didn't have it.

Burke should have been in the game in the 8th and 9th.  He has the correct mentality.  That dude is a closer.

I mean, isn't that how baseball works at this level? You have your 4-5 primary relievers and those dudes eat up the important innings therefore they are going to have the majority of the appearances. Pierce George and Sam Walbridge are going to get their work in against Houston Christian and A&M Corpus Christi.
I'm going to assume Tole wasn't available tonight. So at a certain point we had used Hurley, Shaw, Burke and Stuart. That's our top 5 bullpen arms burned or unavailable, and we were lucky to steal the outs we did from Shaw considering how shaky he looked.

I’m not talking about tonight specifically. This game was more important than last weekend or this upcoming weekend in certain respects. At the same time, a chance to win this one is probably not worth putting yourself at risk of losing two over the weekend. Whatever that looks like.

Against Corpus, we used 4 bullpen guys. All primary guys after we were up 10-1 after 5.

But, yes, pitching depth in college is limited. That’s why preservation for end of year is important. But no I do not think having all your bullpen guys pitching in 50% of games is normal. Our starters will likely start going deeper as the season progresses. We also have 1 or 2 more capable bullpen arms than last year.

My take aways from LSU game.

The good:

LBJ looked really fucking good.  I couldn't tell if it was a slider or split that he was throwing around 89mph but it moved like a mother fucker and LSU had no clue what to do with it. He located his fastball very well and ended up with a shit ton of Ks.

Campbell is finally seeing the ball.  He hit it hard just right at people. 

Burke is going to be a monster.

Guillemette had some nice swings and is solid on defense. 

Although our offense didn't produce a run, they were were competitive against stellar pitching.  

The first lefty out of the pen for LSU, who looked like a fat member of an outlaw biker gang, was nasty as shit. Everything he threw moved.

Kennedy is a great defensive player.

The Bad:

Daly continues to struggle at the plate and looks nothing like he did freshman year.

O'Dowd looked utterly clueless up there. 

Even thought Kennedy doubled, it was a very weird swing he put on that ball.  

Thomas missed an easy pick.

Pierce made some very odd decisions about who should be on the hill.

This team has no power.

Edited by Cousin Strawberry
spelling
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

“Yeah the announcers have been very complimentary of LSU and haven't shown major UT bias considering its a home broadcast on their own network. Professional job fellas.”

Zeke and Zonk are the best in the bizz. Truly enjoy their broadcasts. Sometimes I prefer listening to them over a telecast. They bring so much knowledge and experience from the mound and at the plate. Really enjoy their views of what approach and strategy should be takin on the mound and in the box. Surprisingly Roger Wallace does a fair enough job when his number is called.

Anyways..to the game. This was the first game of the season that I saw a glimpse of a ball club that could develope into a respectable team. Lotta ifs and development that need to happen inorder for this team to make it to postseason. And that should be the goal. Get to regionals likely Baton Rouge, or agygy, sec, 

LBJ had an outstanding outing and now needs to become consistent. He has a great chance to move into a weekend role if he can reproduce outing like tonight.

Staele (however it's spelled) has the physical tools, ++change. Just needs to become reliable and consistent. Hopefully he can take advantage against the lower level teams on the schedule and experience,learn, and get comfortable seeing teams the 2nd and 3rd time though the order.

Moorehouse, same as Staele, develope consistency and reliability to have extended outings. Learn that with the experience of doing.

Gordon is Gordon knock on wood. Of all the starters Gordon is obviously the most polished and focused pitcher. He has confidence, plans of attack and and the ability to adjust. His stuff may not be the best on the team but his locating, consistency, intangibles no doubt make him our best. Hopefully the rest of our starters can sponge up said skills with some successful experiences, much like LBJ just did.

Finally, alot of what this team can do will come down to Witt's elbow. Wonder if him coming back slowly as a setup man or closer is a good or bad option. If not and Witt comes back successfully as a starter, do you consider LBJ to closer?

I dunno, hopefully be a fun season of getting better throughout, make postseason, gel and spoil someone else's postseason

On the hitting uhhh well, too much to discuss tonight, maybe tomorrow.

Hook'm

• Hook 'Em 1

26d8b5a227d533f944dc800ba6e250b5.jpg
Took the boy to his 1st game. He loved it. Hated it ended that eay.
That fuckin ball was bombed out. Fuckin thing just drifted outta the lighted sky.
My kid wanted to get his baseball signed after the eyes. I told wed try but since we list it might be hard. Could tell the guts were down and didnt really want to come iver but a few did. Stabd up dudes doing it for the kids. Campbell, Porter and LBJ came over. Super cool guys and were great with not only my kid but a few others that were also there. Signed autographs and took pics. Told them thanks and they all replied, no thank yall for coming out and supporting the team.
My boy was super pumped.
Andcyes pierce is just a stupid mfer. Lucked into the job andbin over his head. He reminds of cowboys McCarthy. No fire, no energy. Sat on his ass as lsu pulled the timeout and time wasting bullshit. Mound decisions were so inconsistent and just plain stupid. Offense looked turrible.
I was pissed.
But hey the boy is a true longhorn and bleeds burnt orange.
Hook em

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Duplantier didn't look comfortable in his warm ups. You could see it on his face.  He was either nervous as shit, in pain or knew he didn't have it.

Burke should have been in the game in the 8th and 9th.  He has the correct mentality.  That dude is a closer.

That’s every game he’s in.  Every single one.  He’s like Snufalifagus taking the mound.

“Awwwwww, hokaaaaaaay, I guess I’ll throw the little ball for ya coach…”

He’s defeated before he ever puts his foot on the rubber. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

One bad pitch

one big swing

Unfortunate for Duplantier (AGAIN) to give that pitch up and the resulting BOMB/no doubter.

I found it more concerning last night ( and still today), though with Stuart not being able to find the strike zone with his first two batters and giving up the walks. If not for the check swing strike with his first pitch to Neal, he would have thrown 8 straight balls. Instead it was 9 out of 10, with another ball to Nippolt (3rd in the inning) before getting him to foul a couple off and getting a K. Not exactly the result you want from a reliever in the late innings, especially with the game tied 0-0 in the 9th.

12 hours ago, Massive Horn said:

Guy at 1B looks like he should be playing on the JV. Any random high school JV. He is brutal at throwing, picking, and hitting. 

Someone has been spoiled. Dude is a true freshman out there. Same on the other corner.

There was a guy here, that the job was basically his, and because he didn't get enough playing time last year (due to the Golden Spikes POY playing in front of him) he chose to leave and get Raider rash in Lubbock. Melendez had to wait (and learn) to get better because of Zubia. Zubia made great improvement in his Jr and Sr years. Before that, he was brutal in the field. Foot work sucked and he had trouble with low or errant throws. Last night with the scoop that he missed, it was a shitty throw from delayed, extra step throw from Jalin that he missed and was not an easy pick. (My seat is right in line from the mound/3rd base to 1st base)

We have 19 new players on the roster this year, being transfers, JUCO, or freshmen. Some of those freshmen are going to play and are going to have to learn (like Zubia did) that the college game is a different level.  We had a total of 4 hits last night, same as #1 LSU in a nice throw back game of college pitching. One of those hits (1-3) was by your JV first baseman.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1