That guitar tone

Superhero

The Fixx is great. Always dug red skies at night too.

Re: the Reverend and his hearing, I had a chance to have a conversation with him after a show a few years ago. I have a pic somewhere I’ll try to find.

Anyway his hearing was fine. He told us about the time Roger Waters flew him out to England to try to get him to join Pink Floyd. Said it was a pretty interesting weekend.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Fixx is great. Always dug red skies at night too.

Re: the Reverend and his hearing, I had a chance to have a conversation with him after a show a few years ago. I have a pic somewhere I’ll try to find.

Anyway his hearing was fine. He told us about the time Roger Waters flew him out to England to try to get him to join Pink Floyd. Said it was a pretty interesting weekend.

Hahaha. Man, can y’all imagine ZZ Floyd?

Anything from Billy Duffy is on point. Since I got my '77 LP the new pickups and pots, it's like dead on a 70s LP Custom sound. The Cult is my first thought. The Bauhaus shout out is strong too.

Gary Richrath was fucking clown though.
What is the creep and clown comment about Richrath? Outside of his addiction issues, I've never heard anything bad about him.

9 hours ago, hullabelew said:
On 3/4/2023 at 12:21 PM, G650 said:

Anything from Billy Duffy is on point. Since I got my '77 LP the new pickups and pots, it's like dead on a 70s LP Custom sound. The Cult is my first thought. The Bauhaus shout out is strong too.

Gary Richrath was fucking clown though.

What is the creep and clown comment about Richrath? Outside of his addiction issues, I've never heard anything bad about him.

Are you serious Clark? Richrath is famous for being one of the biggest dickheads in music.

@G650  Honestly.  I've was a fan from the Live album that came out in the 77 up until Cronin completely pussed out.  I've read a ton of articles and dozens of interviews with him (albeit, mostly guitar/music related, and I've never heard anything bad, outside of his addiction problems...and Cronin constantly whining about him. 

On 3/2/2023 at 12:54 AM, Superhero said:

What kind of guitar tone makes you wanna fiddle with your amp and pedals to emulate?

Here are a few tones that got me twisting knobs.

Anyone know who the guitarist is?

That is Kevin McKinney on that solo.  I saw him touring with Bob before this album wat released.  I have a recording of him doing an extended version of this....and it is KILLER.  That dude is HIGHLY underrated.  And when you combine him with Bruce Hughes and Conrad.....holy fuck, what a band.  

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

@G650  Honestly.  I've was a fan from the Live album that came out in the 77 up until Cronin completely pussed out.  I've read a ton of articles and dozens of interviews with him (albeit, mostly guitar/music related, and I've never heard anything bad, outside of his addiction problems...and Cronin constantly whining about him. 

Well, I wouldn't listen to much of what Cronin says for sure, but he was pretty well renowned as being a jerk.

14 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

The 'lead' guitar (call/response) on this.  Sounds like shit on youtube, but the album sounds fantastic.

Criminally underrated album and band. Brian Blush was the lead guitarist, played a Goldtop through a Matchless with maybe a tubescreamer

xpost from miles' jagged thread

1 minute ago, Celery Man said:

made me remember this video, which was great. watching it again now, but my recollection is he's like "this is my mexican strat through an $80 multi-effects pedal that i still have in the attic... and yep it's still there on those presets

look at that... chieftain probably?

hahahahaha it's in a playstation bag

LOL.  My friend engineered a Magnapop record that Bob produced, and he said Bob's hearing was damaged to the point that he would always crank the playback monitors in the control room to unholy levels.

Not that I don't love Bob, he's an absolute hero of mine.  Plus, he plays like me, which is to say "straight out of the Mel Bay book'.

• Like 1

This clip is an amalgamation of great tone:  Vince Gill's guitar, his voice, the fiddle players, the steel player, etc.  It's a Nashville weekly "supergroup" of sorts, a friend of mine's wife plays from time to time.

Note Vince's intro: 

"Something slow or something fast?  . . . Let's do something slow and pretty, 'cause a tornado's coming . . . I don't wanna go home and my last song being some damn zippity doo dah thing."

"There's two kinds of music:  the blues, and zippity doo dah."

Vince Gill is a national treasure.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1