Survivor 44

TonyTexas

Spoilering just to be safe.

Spoiler

Busting your head open and concussing yourself within the first 30 seconds would be a less than ideal experience. 

Judging by that first tribal, I'm not convinced this cast has ever watched the show before - which honestly was kind of a welcome change to the gamebots we have seen in recent years.

Carolyn is fucking batshit.

13 minutes ago, futureman said:

there have been 44 of these fucking things?  that’s unreal. 

Saw a quote from Probst that on Season 1, the filming crew was less than 50.  Along with local crew in Fiji, they're now up to 1,000.

You have to wonder if Survivor is now critical for the local economy since they film at the same location every time now. I'm surprised they don't run a Survivor experience resort there during the non-filming times.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Saw a quote from Probst that on Season 1, the filming crew was less than 50.  Along with local crew in Fiji, they're now up to 1,000.

You have to wonder if Survivor is now critical for the local economy since they film at the same location every time now. I'm surprised they don't run a Survivor experience resort there during the non-filming times.

I did not realize it's always in the same place now.  Season 32 was the last time they did it somewhere else.  

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

No theme.

Good. The themes are always lame. Let the natural story flow.

I used to laugh at the "seasons" of shows like Survivor and DWTS that would be on 2 or three times a year. But you can't argue with a 20+ year franchise that's still going strong.

glad to see they're changing it up.  the challenges seemed new, the idols seemed new, etc. i'd like to see the historical data for how many people that have gone off to a different island and come back and lied.  how many tell the truth, how many lie?  what a weird tribal that smacked of rookiedom.  playing your shot in the dark right off the bat (which turned out to be stupid)?  playing your idol right off the bat (which turned out to be smart)?

25 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

The woman playing shot in the dark in the opening tribal is clearly an idiot. Like come on, maybe try a bit of strategy. Why are you on the show if you're gonna do that.

Not to defend stupid game moves, but maybe when you're out there and living the game 24/7, paranoia creeps in and you'll do anything to not get voted out.  Even if it is a terrible decision.

Also, several nice sets of tites on this season.  Too bad one of those sets was voted off.

The first season of Survivor was so different than anything prior. We were hooked immediately but it took a while to understand that it was less about physical and more about mental game and relationships.

Had it been truly about survival Rudy would have killed the other men for food and made sex slaves of several of the women.

I like the new season so far. No stupid theme. No wokeness. Get on the beach and start the game. No coddling. Back to purer game play.

Jimmy Johnson’s story of being on the show is a great side story in his book. He really wanted to go on to help coach other players on how to win the game. It kicked his ass.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

The woman playing shot in the dark in the opening tribal is clearly an idiot. Like come on, maybe try a bit of strategy. Why are you on the show if you're gonna do that.

I had a similar thought, but read an interview with Maddy who said that Jaime wasn't really clicking with anyone and was 100% the target before they shifted to get out Brandon.  Obviously ended up being unnecessary, but her paranoia was more legit than they showed us.  No idea why Matt did it though, other than not wanting to publicly take sides that early in the game.

On 3/3/2023 at 10:49 AM, Chuckie Finster said:

I had a similar thought, but read an interview with Maddy who said that Jaime wasn't really clicking with anyone and was 100% the target before they shifted to get out Brandon.  Obviously ended up being unnecessary, but her paranoia was more legit than they showed us.  No idea why Matt did it though, other than not wanting to publicly take sides that early in the game.

You just answered your own question.  That's exactly why he did it.  Under the circumstances, I thought it was a smart move.  No matter how the vote went, he could plausibly argue that he thought he was a target because if his injury.  Being on the wrong side of the vote seems to be more damaging in modern Survivor.  We'll see if it impacts Kane at all. 

1 hour ago, Pokoloco said:

There has to be a wake of destruction behind her back home. holy moly she's nuts.  

absolutely the craziest person ive ever seen on the show.  the expressions on her face say it before she even opens her mouth, and then there's usually some guttural shriek or scream or manly bass-toned groan.  i would be sleeping on the beach if i were on her tribe.  cant vote her out quick enough.  she must realize she doesnt speak well because she was the quietest person at tribal. hardly said a word even when jeff addressed her.

• 2 weeks later...

That little weasel rocket science dweeb fucked the game up by partnering with the crazy drug counselor and that stupid YamYam. That sent the game off it’s axis. Now it’s all fucked in the head. Some of these folks have not watched the game it appears. You don’t vote off the hood looking chicks or the folks that win challenges.

Question: when did they change the rule allowing the same person to sit out challenges over and over. Used to be you had to cycle thru the batting order to sit out twice, or couldn’t sit out two in a row, etc.

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

That little weasel rocket science dweeb fucked the game up by partnering with the crazy drug counselor and that stupid YamYam. That sent the game off it’s axis. Now it’s all fucked in the head. Some of these folks have not watched the game it appears. You don’t vote off the hood looking chicks or the folks that win challenges.

Question: when did they change the rule allowing the same person to sit out challenges over and over. Used to be you had to cycle thru the batting order to sit out twice, or couldn’t sit out two in a row, etc.

I think a couple of the challenges she sat out were reward challenges, which that rule does not apply to.  So she probably sat out the last two reward challenges and the last immunity challenge.  If I'm completely wrong about that, change my original answer to "I have no fucking idea".  

• 4 weeks later...

I think a cool job would be a set builder or camera or audio crewman on Survivor for a year or two were I young and single. Tahiti and trim. The worst would be a inhome camera person on 600lb Life. A 750 pound human that eats 25000 calories a day will
Have a stench as will their house.

This season is free of wokeness but it’s mostly idiocracy level stupid and crazy. How does Yam Yam survive?

I'm still watching.  It does feel like we are being set up for one of the original Tikas to win.  Yam Yam, Carolyn, and Carson, have all been getting favorable edits, but as we saw last season, that does not always mean anything. 

I didn't like how Heidi played her advantage on the vote that sent Matt home.  She should have stolen Jaime's and used it on Lauren, which would have forced Lauren to use both of her votes to ensure a tie at worst.  It was a missed opportunity to pad her resume, but she chose to use it to protect her social game instead.  Yawn.   

10 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

I've always wanted to see a behind-the-scenes feature.  Show us how Probst lives in the islands off camera. Show us where the jury members hang out after they are voted off.  Where all the crew sets up, etc.

You should listen to the podcast “On Fire with Jeff Probst”. It is mostly about behind the scenes with a little bit of episode recap sprinkled in. 

12 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

I've always wanted to see a behind-the-scenes feature.  Show us how Probst lives in the islands off camera. Show us where the jury members hang out after they are voted off.  Where all the crew sets up, etc.

For years, they would release Ponderosa videos on Youtube, which was an inside look at what happens to each jury member after they get voted off.  They stopped doing them recently, no idea why.

In honor of former contestant Keith Nale's passing this week, here's an example of one:

18 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

The worst would be a inhome camera person on 600lb Life. A 750 pound human that eats 25000 calories a day will
Have a stench as will their house.

I can smell it through the TV.  The bathing scenes! Why???

• Like 1

I can smell it through the TV.  The bathing scenes! Why???

Those are nasty. You know their privates are worse than a septic tank. Especially the bed ridden ones that have some poor aunt having to care for them. My wife usually has a comment regarding their menstrual gravy, piss, shit, bugs, sweat, and fart odors.

Where do they get the money to eat what they eat? They can spend their disability check just on a lunch delivery from Domino’s. Wife also has a comment about these welfare folks moving to Texas to live in one of Dr Now’s slum apartments.

I’ve never really watched the show until the last. Couple of years. Season 41 was my first. I feel like this one has started slower than the previous 2. But it did seem to turn up a notch this week. I’m surprised yam-yam and Carolyn are still there too.

I see several of the old seasons are available to stream on Paramount+. Are there any worth going back to watch?

The first seasons are epic as there were very different environments, no one understood all the elements of the game, and the “Survival” part was much bigger. The annual “eat horrific foods of the region” contest was always a highlight. We’ve watched all of them except a few seasons in the late 20 range.

3 hours ago, DallasHorn26 said:

I’ve never really watched the show until the last. Couple of years. Season 41 was my first. I feel like this one has started slower than the previous 2. But it did seem to turn up a notch this week. I’m surprised yam-yam and Carolyn are still there too.

I see several of the old seasons are available to stream on Paramount+. Are there any worth going back to watch?

Most seasons are worth a rewatch. My favs are Cagayan, Heroes vs Villains and David vs Goliath. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was rooting for Frannie but she's one of the dumber smart people to ever be on this show.

I don't think she really anticipated being good at challenges and got so excited about the prospect of winning them that she got her boyfriend sent home by winning one she should have thrown and then got herself sent home by winning a worthless award challenge.

I was bummed about Frannie too.  Those big rewards are a death sentence.  Everyone sits back in camp plotting to get rid of you and half the people you take along will happily vote for you when they get back.

Edited by kevwun

I was rooting for Frannie but she's one of the dumber smart people to ever be on this show.
I don't think she really anticipated being good at challenges and got so excited about the prospect of winning them that she got her boyfriend sent home by winning one she should have thrown and then got herself sent home by winning a worthless award challenge.

From her post eviction interviews, that’s exactly what happened. Also, she convinced herself Matt had better relationships than Yam Yam so she thought he would be safe. The 2nd time I’d guess the lure of and margaritas was too strong to resist.