Survivor 44

TonyTexas

They always seem to be surprised when they win one of those and get told to pick a couple to go with you. Don’t win. I’d tell Jeff I’m giving my spot away and let the rest draw a straw or rock paper scissors to let it be chance. There is never a benefit to picking who gets any contact from a relative.

Frannie had a shot and fucked it up. I hate that little NASA shitbird and YamYam.

8 hours ago, WBT said:

I mean she played her idol unnecessarily but sure I guess

Damn you're right.  I just watched the very end and the votes were Danny with 3 and Carson and Heidi with 2 each.  It seems like nobody really knew what was going on in that TC.  

I thought Carolyn is just losing her shit. I was hoping she was going to launch on Jeff on pull an eye out. She says she’s not sleeping but she looks like someone who has been licking tropical hallucinogenic frogs for a week.

She can’t figure out why no one talks to her. Uhh Carolyn you go straight to the target and spill the beans. The rest of the sheep can’t seem to figure out the game. Carson and YamYam are driving. Lord.

11 hours ago, WBT said:

I mean she played her idol unnecessarily but sure I guess

I guess I didn't pay close enough attention to the votes. But she still has been seeing the situations better than people have been giving her credit for.

Danny had been too confident for a while, bout time that it bit him.

8 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Carson gets zero votes if he sits next to Yam Yam and Carolyn.

I think Carolyn is taking this thing.

It sure feels like it is going to be Carolyn or Yam Yam, unless Carson does what he should.  I don't know if he has it in him to turn on either of them at this point, especially Carolyn. 

While in hindsight, she didn't have to play her idol to save Carson, it was absolutely the right move.  It may have bought Carson's loyalty for the rest of the game, and it gives the appearance that she engineered the Danny blindside.  If Jamie and Lauren voted for Carson, Danny still would have gone home, so they won't get much credit. 

2 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

heidi and yam seem to be the stealthiest, most strategic players left.  i'm convinced that jamie is just a loony as carolyn.  they are both dingbats and crazy as a loon.  though carolyn made a big move, i see zero chance she makes it through.  

and oddly enough, of the players left heidi is the most athletic.  maybe lauren, but i'd put my money on heidi.  

57 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

heidi and yam seem to be the stealthiest, most strategic players left.  i'm convinced that jamie is just a loony as carolyn.  they are both dingbats and crazy as a loon.  though carolyn made a big move, i see zero chance she makes it through.  

I think you are underestimating Carolyn.  Don't misunderstand, she definitely has some issues, but she has been able to overcome them and play a really solid game.  And as I said in an earlier post, we saw last season that odd balls can win.  If she makes it to Final Tribal, the only person who could currently beat her is Yam Yam, and even that is unlikely.  Things can and probably will change.  Tika needs to get rid of Jamie or Lauren next, and then they can start cannibalizing their own.

Man, Heidi really fucked that up.

If she was going to play her idol, then all she had to do to guarantee a Tikka 3 went home was vote with Jaime and Lauren for Carolyn. It leads to 3-3 tie, putting Yam-Yam and Carson in a position where they either have to vote Carolyn on the re-vote or it’s a another tie between Jaime and Carolyn where the only people drawing rocks are Yam-Yam and Carson.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

yep, thats two idols flushed in a row.  i dont think they should allow idols after we're down to 5 players.   yam is running the show.  he is going to win it, just like danny was, if they dont stop him from winning it.  heidi is has the least social game but is constantly scheming.  she hasnt led or orchestrated a vote yet.  lauren, heidi, and carolyn are going to have to team up to get yam or carson out.  

23 hours ago, DanRydell said:

Hide contents

Man, Heidi really fucked that up.

If she was going to play her idol, then all she had to do to guarantee a Tikka 3 went home was vote with Jaime and Lauren for Carolyn. It leads to 3-3 tie, putting Yam-Yam and Carson in a position where they either have to vote Carolyn on the re-vote or it’s a another tie between Jaime and Carolyn where the only people drawing rocks are Yam-Yam and Carson.

Really good call-out that I did not catch.

Thinking this is Yam Yam's game

I agree that Heidi wasted an opportunity.  It's been a weird idol season, with only those played for someone else being meaningful. 

I doubt it happens, but I would love to see an all-Tika final 3.  I have no idea who would win in that scenario, but would be okay with any of them. 

37 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

would not have given it to jam had i been on the jury.  he played a cowardly, hiding behind a shield game.  both heidi and carolyn were stronger players, and played a more respectable game.

Interesting, I honestly couldn't disagree more.  Genuinely curious who the shield was that you think he was hiding behind?  

I'm surprised Carolyn didn't get any votes, but I think the best player won.

• Like 1

i can see both he and carolyn getting some sympathy votes, because they're weak unconventional players, neither very competitive in challenges.  carolyn at least orchestrated a big move.  jam did nothing to orchestrate any votes.  the only thing he ever did was lobby for votes for anyone that put his name down.  he stayed in the background the entire time, in a sense using the entire tribe as a shield.  

I don’t get why Heidi didn’t earn some votes or even the win with her record setting fire event while sticking her neck out.  Guess she didn’t connect with the other players like Yam Yam did during the season and it came down to personality contest.

• Like 1

I would have voted for Heidi. Putting herself into the fire build and then just crushed it. She had to survive as a lone wolf for a lot of the game. I couldn’t vote for Carolyn as she was blinded to her Carson/YamYam devotion, and she just didn’t plead a good case. I thought Yam Yam played a good game but I think he was aided by Carolyn and Carson. I think if any of the three got whacked early they would have all been whacked.

The mistake was they needed to whack either yam yam or carson at 5.

• Like 2

I'll give Heidi credit for doing whatever she could at the end to get votes, but she was basically a mouse the entire game (unless it's editing).  I thought Yam yam played a masterful game.  He was never really threatened, and basically kept everyone in line with his social skills.  And you gotta respect his mantra of executing anyone who voted for him.  At one point someone said to him that she had never voted for him, and he said he was so glad, as she would be on the jury now.  Good stuff.  Well-earned win.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Count me with those surprised by the lack of any votes for Carolyn.  Carolyn being Carolyn meant it was harder for others to trust her, made her annoying to be around, and after playing her idol for Carson, made her a huge target, even within her Tika alliance.  Usually, people with her personality get voted out early, or if they survive to the end, they are the "they'll never win" person you want in final tribal.  She was a legitimate threat to win.    

Danny giving the credit to Heidi for voting him out was pure Soka homerism.  Tika engineered that move.  Heidi deserves credit for doing everything she possibly could, but it was way too little way too late for me.     

Yam Yam was likeable and persuasive.  He gets no credit from me for being a "you write my name down you go home" player.  That is almost always a losing strategy.  I do feel that Carson steered most of the Tika voting strategy, but since Carson voted for Yam Yam, I guess it wasn't a big deal.  I do feel Yam Yam's skill set was easier to win with than Carolyn's.

Having seen Carolyn's and Yam Yam's final tribal, I think Carson easily wins if he makes it there.  In hindsight, Tika should have targeted Heidi instead of Lauren at the final 5.  I don't think Lauren wins the ball challenge, and I suspect her fire skills are not incendiary.  That said, Carson had two chances to get into final tribal, and didn't get it done.  Yam yam and Carolyn "earned" their way by being less of a threat to earn votes and more of a threat at fire.   

It appears that the fire challenge to earn final tribal is here to stay.  I was surprised that Carson was not better prepared for that, considering he practiced so many of the other challenges.  Still, he had to face the fastest ever, so preparation may never have been enough.  Weeding out the strong fire makers needs to figure in to end game strategy. 

34 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Usually, people with her personality get voted out early, or if they survive to the end, they are the "they'll never win" person you want in final tribal.  She was a legitimate threat to win.    

Was she?  Her zero votes says she was the she'll never win petson you want to take to the end.

36 minutes ago, WBT said:

Was she?  Her zero votes says she was the she'll never win petson you want to take to the end.

Yam Yam made a better case to the jury.  That doesn't mean Carolyn wasn't a threat to win.  Carson and Yam Yam considered voting her out multiple times down the stretch because they thought she was a threat.

I would have voted for Carolyn. She and Yam Yam were both deserving. Heidi was carried along and was fortunate enough to win the final immunity. She was correct knowing that she had to make fire to have a chance. Still wasn’t enough. 

On 5/27/2023 at 7:09 AM, idigTexas said:

Yam Yam was likeable and persuasive.  He gets no credit from me for being a "you write my name down you go home" , and gets away with it, player.  That is almost always a losing strategy. 

fify

• 1 month later...

I made some changes to my streaming subscriptions recently, so I now have access to every season. 

I've been binging season 1, which I haven't watched since it first aired.  It's weird seeing how little personality Jeff Probst had back then, and how drab the overall production was.  There was only one alliance, and those not in it frowned on it, but yet did nothing to stop it.  The challenges were all very tilted toward the physically gifted.  Few contestants seemed genuinely interested in winning.  Hatch is remembered as a villain, but nothing at all in the editing has portrayed him as such...at least not yet.   Very trippy.    

Some of those challenges were nuts in the first seasons, some lasting hours. I miss the eat weird local foods challenges, or the food auctions.

You are correct, the alliance between Richard and Rudy was a secret to us until late. And Richard wasn’t a villain during the show but the slightly annoying gay guy.

We loved the early shows. It was one of the last water cooler shows when it started and reality tv was new.