I could make a hat, or a broach or a pterodactyl

C-Man

The inspiration for this thread was Airplane II being on one of the HBO channels while I was eating lunch. Some of Johnny’s best lines are from Airplane II, which is pretty damn funny still.

“First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came but they got too big and fat so they all died and turned into oil. Then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes.”

“Fresno! Nobody goes to Fresno anymore.” (Said with such disdain)

• Haha 3

Ted Striker: My orders came through. My squadron ships out tomorrow. We’re bombing the storage depots at Daiquiri at 1800 hours. We’re coming in from the north, below their radar.
Elaine Dickinson: When will you be back?
Ted Striker: I can’t tell you that. It’s classified.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

I find the character and  both films devoid of any humor.  Everyone on this thread sucks for perpetuating the scripts.  

There will be 99 with one opinion and one with the other.  Let's figure out which side you're on.

Oh c'mon man, you're an adult.  You can skip past my posts any time, but instead you choose to bitch on a weekly basis about how you don't read them despite incessant posting about not wanting read them.  Only time we worry about Surly Bevo is when he quits bitching.

Here's how I know you guys are fucking morons.  I love those movies and quote them regularly.  Johnny Jacobs was a national treasure.  How they went from Zero Hour to number two with almost the exact same framework is sublimely wonderful.  20 years of incessantly quoting Airplane/II, and you guys quoting me quoting shit and you pick one sarcastic post to bitch and moan?  Your fathers must be terribly proud of your cuntiness.  

We don't have a tower, sir.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The ongoing, increasingly outrageous Lloyd Bridges "Guess I picked the wrong week to stop smoking/drinking/sniffing glue/amphetamines" is also a highlight.

Also, 12-year-old me fucking died at the guy waiting for Striker to return to the cab the entire movie. Think he pops up after the credits saying something like, "20 more minutes and then I'm giving up" or something like that.

"The shit's gonna hit the fan" and "Boys, let's get some pictures" bits are so silly/stupid but I still laugh every time.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I can't remember where I read it, but there's some story that the guy in the cab was an associate producer and filmed those scenes as a gag with the Zucker Brothers.  

Close.

The dude in the cab is Howard Jarvis, who was the front man for California Prop 13 tax initiative (capped property tax in at 2%).

He was in a cab though, so you got that correctly.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I think you're the greatest, but my dad says you don't work hard enough on defense. And he says that lots of times, you don't even run down court. And that you don't really try, except during the playoffs.

The hell I don't. Listen kid, I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

My mom, unaware of what she was getting into, took my sister and I to see Airplane! in 1980.  I was seven.  So her timing was perfect.

At the time, the mayhem (and boobies) that followed the line, "No, we're also out of coffee" was my favorite part.

"Listen, Betty.  Don't start up with your white-zone shit again."

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1