My Bariatric Surgery Journey

Wulaw Horn

I only clicked on it because I like you. I have to google bariatric surgery, because I don't know what it is, but from the context of your first post I assume it has something to do with being fat. 

I don't know everything involved, but I do know I wish you all the success you deserve in your journey, and I hope all the struggles end up being fulfilling ones in whatever way they're meant to be. It sounds like a serious decision and commitment. A sincere good luck with everything from me. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Ok- who here's favorite number is 10? It's mine, but unlike many longhorn fans of a certain age that isn't because of Vince Young (a happy coincidence) but because that was always my jersey number in sports growing up. 

Why was that my number?  Because #1-3 was for small, #4-7 was for Medium, 8-10 was for large and 11-13 was for XL.  Or some variation with numbers being more or less like that. 

I was never skinny.  I was, what you might refer to, as husky. I played every sport around.  Was pretty good until athleticism became a determining factor in success in sports (aka- puberty), but always was on the bigger side even with a very active lifestyle.  Swimming in the summer.  Skiing in the winter.  Always playing hoops, soccer or baseball in organized leagues, always playing games all recess long- it was a normal, active 80's childhood in California.  And I was always #10.  

Did we eat great?  Probably not. But mom cooked most of our dinners.  We had pizza night on Friday night when she didn't cook.  We didn't drink much water back then (did anyone?) and had a fair amount of liquid calories (Milk and Mountain Dew), but it wasn't like what you see nowadays when families eat out 4 times a week and live in the McDonalds drive throughs.  And still, not skinny.  But not fat.  Barely not fat.

My dad was fat (300 pounds at 5'11" when that was a massive number that you just didn't see) though, even as a former athlete.  He played Hoops and baseball at the NAIA level, was pretty much a stud as near as I can tell, stopped playing, stopped working out, got busy, kept eating and was 300 pounds.  Mashed potatoes and gravy, comfort foods- no liquid calories just massive portion sizes.  Mom was petite.  My paternal Grandma was fat even though she ate incredibly disciplined and exercized even before that was a thing.  Bad genes on that side.  Everyone on my mom's side of the family was thin, except for my maternal grandma when she'd drink too much.  Good genes on that side of the family.  

• Hook 'Em 2

So- the surgery I had was the bariatric sleeve.  What they do here is go in through 5 places in your stomach and slice out 80% of the stomach. The new stomach is now the size and shape of a banana.   

There is a gastic bypass surgery where they set up a little pouch for you as a stomach and bypass most of your intestines, but my plumbing is all in the same order.  That can be reversed I believe.  There is also a Band that they can place around your stomach to constrict it and hopefully keep you from overeating.  That can for sure be reversed- but not mine- it is going to be like this forever.  

Basically there are 2 sells to this:

1) Most of your hunger enzimes are in the part of your stomach that is removed- without those your body doesn't tell you it's hungry anymore; and

2) even when you are hungry you now have such a small stomach that there's not much room for a bunch of food. You eat 3 bites and are full.  So the story goes. 

Problems:

If you drink your calories you can stay fat.  If you eat a lot of small in size but high in calorie foods (chips and candy bars) you can stay fat.  If you keep after it you can stretch your stomach back out again and stay fat.  But, if you are a person that is fat b/c you get hungry a lot and immediately want to get full and to the point of exploding and eat until you achieve that this is ideal territory to make a big difference in your life. 

This is for people with a BMI of 40+ or a BMI between 35-19 with contributing health problems. I was a 41 BMI when I signed up and a 38 BMI on the day of surgery but had bad BP, Cholesteral and sleep apnea.  When I signed up I weighed 319.4  I couldn't do the surgery for 6 weeks b/c I had to quit smoking.  The week before the surgery was a diet of only protein shakes- 600 calories worth a day.  When I got on the livestock scale at the doctors office before the surgery I weighed 296.8.  Now, 4 days after the surgery and being on a clear liquid diet still I weighed 286.8. I'm losing more weight than a holocaust survivor. I'm going on 2 weeks of 7000 calories total- so I'm probably consuming less calories than one as well.

I had the surgery in Fort Worth on Tuesday. Insurance did not pay- it was $8500.00.  I did it in Ft. Worth b/c the doc had great reveiws and she was significantly cheaper (average in Houston is like 15K for the surgery) and my wife wouldn't let me do it in Mexico (where you get a legit surgeon and stay at a 5 star resort for $4500.  That was my preference but it was a non-starter for her. 

Be warned (I don't know how to spoiler) you are going to get a picture of my stomach on the table and a picture of me in some weird thing at my kids school b/c my wife says I shouldn't post the one of me in my underwear the day before the surgery, and then a picture of my torso after the surgery. If you don't want to see that then don't keep scrolling:

353708BA-C7A1-4BE2-B355-EC7E4B927209.jpeg

1C5C1BC6-8626-47A2-80D8-17AEB5A98E82.jpeg

C80A23CF-5B39-4E84-B43B-90B5D0973FED.jpeg

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, choripan said:

Good luck!

You also may want to edit to take your name out of the pic of the body part.

I sponsor the website as the mortgage guy so I’m not exactly anonymous on here. Thanks for catching that. I’d black it out I guess if I knew how. 

2 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Dude, in a year or two, wifey's gonna be pulling your ass into that sex tent on a regular basis.

We have no problems there. I was actually worried that it might cause problems bc her love language is hanging out and doing stuff together and the way we usually do that involves food, sec, smoking and alcohol (not necessarily in that order) 

we are going to have to do some new stuff and form new behaviors. 

1 minute ago, Deej said:

Fuckin' Immamac....

I always assumed it was RGB3

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

I only clicked on it because I like you. I have to google bariatric surgery, because I don't know what it is, but from the context of your first post I assume it has something to do with being fat. 

I don't know everything involved, but I do know I wish you all the success you deserve in your journey, and I hope all the struggles end up being fulfilling ones in whatever way they're meant to be. It sounds like a serious decision and commitment. A sincere good luck with everything from me. 

^^^^^^

Same. Everything this fucking guy said. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My wife had a gastric sleeve put on, Dec 2019…lucky timing, in hindsight.  She was always curvy but after the second kid just couldn’t keep the weight off.  

It worked wonders for her. Since you’re going to take it seriously as a means to forcefully change your eating habits, it’ll work wonders for you too.  Do not fuck around with post-op eating guidelines. 

Regarding smoking, if you struggle with cold Turkey get yourself a good vape setup.  Start with a high nicotine level but taper (mix with next lower mg levels) as soon as you can.  

This is gonna be awesome for you

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

my dad has been smoking for 70 fucking years and was recently hospitalized.   They gave him nicotine patches, and he's amazed at how well they work. 

Definitely depends on the person.  If you’re just a nicotine addict they work great, if it’s more the act/oral fixation then vaping seems to work well.  

70 years is insane though wow

40 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Good for you, man. I really hope it turns out well. What's your fitness/conditioning strategy after this? Not for weight or fat loss, but for health. 

Eat what I’m supposed to and when I’m supposed to. 
Start at 10 minute walk on day 1 and add a minute a day they say until 30 minutes. At 30 days all exercise is ok. Body weight stuff recommended for first 6 months. Squats, push ups, lunges etc. walking. 30 minutes cardio and 30 body weight training. After 6 months lift real weights if you want. See what that looks like. 
If you are asking something else not sure, have to phrase the question differently. 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Gladeite said:

Good for you.  I have a friend that is 2 weeks post op.  Private pay in Austin for around $15,000 all in.  Very easy recovery.  Has already progressed to soft foods and feeling good.

As a smoker (former now) my recovery is longer. No soft foods until week 4. 

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Start at 10 minute walk on day 1 and add a minute a day they say until 30 minutes. At 30 days all exercise is ok. Body weight stuff recommended for first 6 months. Squats, push ups, lunges etc. walking. 30 minutes cardio and 30 body weight training. After 6 months lift real weights if you want. See what that looks like. 
If you are asking something else not sure, have to phrase the question differently. 

Body weight can go a long way. You'll be ready for the 10,000 burpee thread by 2024. Good luck!

44 minutes ago, Homercles said:

My wife had a gastric sleeve put on, Dec 2019…lucky timing, in hindsight.  She was always curvy but after the second kid just couldn’t keep the weight off.  

It worked wonders for her. Since you’re going to take it seriously as a means to forcefully change your eating habits, it’ll work wonders for you too.  Do not fuck around with post-op eating guidelines. 

Regarding smoking, if you struggle with cold Turkey get yourself a good vape setup.  Start with a high nicotine level but taper (mix with next lower mg levels) as soon as you can.  

This is gonna be awesome for you

Surprisingly it’s not the smoking it’s the nicotine. Snuff is out too (which I also did). It’s the nicotine itself. Constricts blood vessels and makes it likely your staples riP out and your guts spill to parts they shouldn’t which is a death or major injury issue. 

35 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I haven't always agreed with your thoughts on the population decline thread, but I appreciate you doing your part to allow for elbow room.

I kid. I kid.

Really though: best of luck to you on your journey. You're doing it for yourself and those you love and that is a great start. You've got a good attitude and just keep taking it one day at a time.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

I've always thought you were a thoughtful, genuine guy, so I really hope this works out for you. I have a feeling if you put your thoughtfulness and genuiness into this, you will be one of the model use cases and success stories.

Thanks man. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Not that Bob said:

Don't know if you read my "body changes becoming your new normal" in the I caught the cancer thread. Not exactly parallel but I believe you will adapt to your new (and better) normal. 

You got this.

I didn’t. Will check that out now. 
Thanks

Good for you man. I have lots of patients who have had the surgery and successfully lost 100+ pounds. My uncle also did this and his diabetes went away as well as his hypertension. back pain that was significant enough to consider surgery went away, the knee replacement that he thought was a failure quit hurting. The people who are successful at keeping the weight off in my experience I want to take advantage of the smaller stomach volume to completely change the way they approach food in general. My uncle has gained a little weight back, but probably less than 30 pounds out of the hundred plus he lost. He only eats on small plates puts as much vegetables on the plate as he wants and sticks to a 6 ounce or smaller portion of protein religiously he also quit drinking, which helped as well. Little to no bread/starch 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Surprisingly it’s not the smoking it’s the nicotine. Snuff is out too (which I also did). It’s the nicotine itself. Constricts blood vessels and makes it likely your staples riP out and your guts spill to parts they shouldn’t which is a death or major injury issue. 

Few things in this world are nastier than smoking.  Snuff/dip is one of those things. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That’s what I’m asking. Sounds like a great approach. And don’t knock body weight stuff. 

44 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Good for you man. I have lots of patients who have had the surgery and successfully lost 100+ pounds. My uncle also did this and his diabetes went away as well as his hypertension. back pain that was significant enough to consider surgery went away, the knee replacement that he thought was a failure quit hurting. The people who are successful at keeping the weight off in my experience I want to take advantage of the smaller stomach volume to completely change the way they approach food in general. My uncle has gained a little weight back, but probably less than 30 pounds out of the hundred plus he lost. He only eats on small plates puts as much vegetables on the plate as he wants and sticks to a 6 ounce or smaller portion of protein religiously he also quit drinking, which helped as well. Little to no bread/starch 

I lost 128 lbs in 9 months in 1985-86 just by limiting my caloric intake to 1200 per day. Ate balanced diet, but occasionally grabbed a pint of Blue Bell.

gained it all back by 2000 when I needed my first angioplasty & stent implant.

Good luck Wulaw

I struggled with my weight for years.  It's one of the reasons we moved where we did and live the way we live.  I had to do something drastic or that surgery was in my future.  At my heaviest I was 405.  I'm down to 255.  Stay active, Dude.  Modern life does not make it easy. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Don't stop walking after 30 days. We were built to walk. Keeps the weight off. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Few things in this world are nastier than smoking.  Snuff/dip is one of those things. 

Did it for 28 years.  Quit because my oldest looked at a pouch of Red Man one day and asked me about the surgeon's general warning, and why would I do this if it caused cancer.  Good point she raised.

No health issues from it, but my dentist and I have come to know each other very well over the years.  The amount of sugar in tobacco is tremendous.

As for the OP, good luck with this.  Friend of mine had it done a year or so back, and he's dropped 105.  Looks great, and in his words, he wished he had done this years ago.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Did it for 28 years.  Quit because my oldest looked at a pouch of Red Man one day and asked me about the surgeon's general warning, and why would I do this if it caused cancer.  Good point she raised.

No health issues from it, but my dentist and I have come to know each other very well over the years.  The amount of sugar in tobacco is tremendous.

As for the OP, good luck with this.  Friend of mine had it done a year or so back, and he's dropped 105.  Looks great, and in his words, he wished he had done this years ago.

I quit snuff 5 years ago.  Hardest thing I have ever done in my life.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

Good luck Wulaw

I struggled with my weight for years.  It's one of the reasons we moved where we did and live the way we live.  I had to do something drastic or that surgery was in my future.  At my heaviest I was 405.  I'm down to 255.  Stay active, Dude.  Modern life does not make it easy. 

I'm imagining the size and weight of the shitstick needed by a 400 lb dude.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If that's not interesting to you then my God, why the hell did you click on this link- it's not like I titled it tit pics and free beer?

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Unsubscribe

FML, my daily search for "tit pics and free beer" took me right to this thread; guess I'll stop that search after the immense disappointment when I landed here 

• Haha 2