My Bariatric Surgery Journey

Wulaw Horn

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I quit snuff 5 years ago.  Hardest thing I have ever done in my life.

Same, but 11 years ago.  Still think about it every single day.  

@Wulaw Horn good for you. I only know one man who did a similar surgery.  Was in the 400’s into his 40’s, and got down to about 225 or so.  It made his wife get serious about her weight and health, and lose a ton of weight, along with their teenage daughter who was trending that way.   Really helped out his family’s health overall, not to mention his knees, back etc.   Probably added decades onto his life.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Wait a fucking minute before you lose all that weight...........got any eligibility left?

Just kidding of course. It's great that you're ĝrabbing the bull by the horns to improve your health.  Prayers and best wishes for a successful journey.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Wishing you good luck with your life-changing endeavor. 
But please do stop the smoking. We both did it cold turkey in 1976 and never looked back.

But I have you beat with the titties….

2nd pic is from 1970.

07ED7FA8-F870-43CF-8067-905F13AB04C8.jpeg

9C534866-2854-48D3-8A84-4A2C4517031E.jpeg

You look like you shot Harvey Milk.

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I quit snuff 5 years ago.  Hardest thing I have ever done in my life.

9 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Same, but 11 years ago.  Still think about it every single day.  

It wasn't the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, but it's still pretty tempting.  

Dad passed away a year ago, and he chewed from 17-18 until he passed at 77.  When I visit him, I'll take a pouch and leave on his grave.   Couple of times last year, I opened it up and took a chew for a few minutes while I was there.  I miss it, but I don't need it any more.

• Hook 'Em 1

I quit smoking 7 years ago. I don’t miss it. Well, to be fair, I miss the lifestyle of going to a bar, having drinks, smoking, being younger. The easiest way to quit is to change your routines, or your life. I think this surgery qualifies as a major life change. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/3/2023 at 4:33 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

Eat what I’m supposed to and when I’m supposed to. 
Start at 10 minute walk on day 1 and add a minute a day they say until 30 minutes. At 30 days all exercise is ok. Body weight stuff recommended for first 6 months. Squats, push ups, lunges etc. walking. 30 minutes cardio and 30 body weight training. After 6 months lift real weights if you want. See what that looks like. 
If you are asking something else not sure, have to phrase the question differently. 

I can't stress that this is the most important thing.  If you return to your prior eating habits, this will be a waste.  There is no magic diet.  It's a mix eating healthy most days with some cheats thrown in, portion size, and moving every day.  For the record, I'm 48 and have lost 50 pounds at one point in my life.  

You can't outrun a bad diet.

Props to all you cats getting the weight under control. That's never been my vice, I start course correcting if I go north of 190 at 6-1
But it's amazing how fast the pounds add as we age.

In my friend group I've seen the most success from sustained hobbies like disk golf, pickleball/ tennis and golf. Whatever you can commit to.. But also people getting into yoga or hiking. Strength training has the best yield with a mix of yoga and some intense weekend activity. The best is of course doing all that shit as often as possible. Consider each workout as building life and health.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I can't stress that this is the most important thing.  If you return to your prior eating habits, this will be a waste.  There is no magic diet.  It's a mix eating healthy most days with some cheats thrown in, portion size, and moving every day.  For the record, I'm 48 and have lost 50 pounds at one point in my life.  

You can't outrun a bad diet.

There is no magic cure. There will be set backs. There will be successes. It’s about a lifestyle change. Eating more healthy than not. Eat more plants. Eat less sugar. Exercise more. 

I’m thankful that for all the faults I have, I can drop 20 pounds in 2-3 months if I put in a little effort.  I was 6’1” 185 as a high school senior varsity athlete, ballooned up to 205 in college, lingered between 205-215 for most of my adult life, and hit 225 during Covid.  Back down to 195, which is honestly as good as it’s gonna get given certain lifestyle choices.  I eat a lot of fish and drink too much.  It is what it is at this point, but my blood pressure is back to within normal range after a brief scare a few years ago and I’m happy.

15 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I moved to houston when I was 12 dickhead. And then, you know, became a fan of the local team. Like normal people do. 

I moved to Oklahoma when I was 13. Are you telling me I should've become a sooner fan, like 80% of those dipshit kids????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

283.4. I think I’ve dropped below morbidly obese down to merely run of the mill obese. I’m now down 38.6 pounds from my fattest about 7 weeks ago. 
I’ve probably lost close to 400 pounds in my life (while finding 425 or 450 depending upon the reckoning, but never more than 65 in one go. Nice to be over half way there to that mark. 
250 should be the point where none of my current clothes really fit and I’m going to have a bonfire at that point in time. 
allegedly 8-16 pounds a month post surgery.  I’m at 10 or so 5 or so days in. Hope I get at least 25 by the end of March so I will be below 270. Haven’t seen 269 in 11 years. 

Morbidly obese is a BMI over 40. You can argue that BMI is stupid, or that the definition of morbidly obese is stupid, but those are the facts. I’m 6’3, and I’m pushing morbid obesity at about 225. Everyone is different, but dude you’re probably still 40-50 lbs away from “just obese” best case. 

im not trying to be a prick, but at the same time understanding where you are versus the labels is probably something worth noting in your recovery journey. And yes, BMI is dumb. 

18 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

You’ve got this. I definitely wouldn’t recommend my method for weight loss, but save up for a new wardrobe. I went from a size 40 waist to a 30-32. Can’t keep my pants up.

As long as you’re still shopping for clothes and planning for the future that’s wonderful. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Morbidly obese is a BMI over 40. You can argue that BMI is stupid, or that the definition of morbidly obese is stupid, but those are the facts. I’m 6’3, and I’m pushing morbid obesity at about 225. Everyone is different, but dude you’re probably still 40-50 lbs away from “just obese” best case. 

im not trying to be a prick, but at the same time understanding where you are versus the labels is probably something worth noting in your recovery journey. And yes, BMI is dumb. 

As long as you’re still shopping for clothes and planning for the future that’s wonderful. 

What the fuck are you talking about bro?  My BMI calculator says 37.5.
6’1” and 283. What calculator are you using?  
feel free to be a prick whenever you want but come correct with your fucking information dude. 
You read all that and your takeaway is I’ve spent a lifetime like this and I don’t know what fat is?  Like you can add to my self loathing in some way? 

fuck off with that dude. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

What the fuck are you talking about bro?  My BMI calculator says 37.5.
6’1” and 283. What calculator are you using?  
feel free to be a prick whenever you want but come correct with your fixing information dude. 

One that required me to get in a water tank and submerge myself while the computer measured me. Online calculators are trash, bmi is trash. 

you’re doing great changing your body man. We’re all cheering for you. 

1 hour ago, huge said:

Good luck and keep this thread moving.

Yessir. Aim to post daily if nothing other than shit I’m making and calories consumed. 
right now I’m still on clear liquids for another 36 hours but come Tuesday I graduate to milky liquids for 2 weeks!  It would only be one week but they said since I was a smoker I must be hit with 2 weeks of milky liquids.  
All told it will be 31 days between solid bites of food for me- and that “solid” bite of food will be cottage cheese or a scrambled egg. 

1 hour ago, huge said:

Good luck and keep this thread moving.

33 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yessir. Aim to post daily if nothing other than shit I’m making and calories consumed. 
right now I’m still on clear liquids for another 36 hours but come Tuesday I graduate to milky liquids for 2 weeks!  It would only be one week but they said since I was a smoker I must be hit with 2 weeks of milky liquids.  
All told it will be 31 days between solid bites of food for me- and that “solid” bite of food will be cottage cheese or a scrambled egg. 

Pretty sure dude was basically making a Metamucil joke, sir. 

21 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I’m thankful that for all the faults I have, I can drop 20 pounds in 2-3 months if I put in a little effort.  I was 6’1” 185 as a high school senior varsity athlete, ballooned up to 205 in college, lingered between 205-215 for most of my adult life, and hit 225 during Covid.  Back down to 195, which is honestly as good as it’s gonna get given certain lifestyle choices.  I eat a lot of fish and drink too much.  It is what it is at this point, but my blood pressure is back to within normal range after a brief scare a few years ago and I’m happy.

Does eating lots of fish make you gain weight or is it a euphemism for something?

39 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

How are you getting protein and vitamins? And does your clear liquid diet give you the shits?

21 minutes ago, mchookem said:

as long as your journey doesn't end with you accidentally ripping a giant hole in your head by hitting it on a...doorjam or something, i suspect you'll do well! 🤘

That’s basically how my dad got his traumatic brain injury and reverted to being like a 6 year old. Fingers crossed that doesn’t happen. 

10 minutes ago, Bevo said:

How are you getting protein and vitamins? And does your clear liquid diet give you the shits?

Like 4 kinds of Bariatric vitamins a day, but that doesn’t start until day 8 (Tuesday), so for now not much 

yes- liquid food liquid shit. 

28 minutes ago, blacklab said:

does vodka count as a clear liquid?

Nope. A point they made very clear. Allegedly at least 6 months no alcohol. 

23 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Does a white russian count as milky liquid?  

It should but doesn’t. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I fed South Austin's mom a milky liquid earlier today

• Hook 'Em 1

Why wasn't it covered by insurance? Why did you choose sleeve over bypass? Was a choice presented to you?

If you lose enough weight, consider body contouring surgery in the future. So save for that as well.

Good luck.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, naija said:

Why wasn't it covered by insurance? Why did you choose sleeve over bypass? Was a choice presented to you?

If you lose enough weight, consider body contouring surgery in the future. So save for that as well.

Good luck.

I have shitty insurance. I wasn’t grotesquely fat. These are assumptions, my wife checked into it and said no coverage and I assumed she’s right, but I didn’t do a huge check up on that. She’s in charge of all that kind of stuff at our house. 
we ended up going to Fort Worth to have it done. It was $8500 for everything- hotel stay for 3 days, surgery, checking for the hernia the day before and all the tests. No other bills, cash pay. 
I desperately wanted to go to Mexico to get it done. Fly in.  5 star resort. Well respected surgeon. $4200. That was an absolute no brainer to me. Wife said no way. Because it was Mexico and dangerous. I argued that was simply American arrogance to no affect. Couldn’t convince her. At the end of the day if something happened (and it’s surgery something can always happen) I didn’t want her to be bitter and hate the memory of me over that. Wasn’t worth it. But- if you were going to have something like this done that’s the way to do it. Basically a $5000 vacation and you come back with the surgery done. 
Bypass was more expensive and considered unnecessary.
It was presented to me, but as I didn’t have massive weight issues (110 or 130 pounds is on the skinny side in this world from what I could tell), no  history of GERD or Acid reflux, and didn’t want to have all the stuff associated with dumping and the like that comes with bypass it was pretty simple choice for me personally to go with sleeve. Also matched the doctors recommendations but truly not sure why doc recommended it.  Since it matched up with my thoughts on the issue I didn’t really pry into it. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

3 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Congrats on the progress and good luck!

I went from 316 to 185 and it was tough (6'2").  Best thing about it is being able to go into any store and buy clothes off the rack.

This hits close to home: I went from 175 to 169 and it was tough. And I'm back at 175 now. I think my metabolism has slowed because I'm not eating crazy.

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Congrats on the progress and good luck!

I went from 316 to 185 and it was tough (6'2").  Best thing about it is being able to go into any store and buy clothes off the rack.

Surgery or diet/exercise?  How long did it take? 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Surgery or diet/exercise?  How long did it take? 

Diet/exercise even though most people I encounter ask if I had the surgery.  I decided it was time to make a change on my 30th birthday (I turn 35 next month).  Complete diet 180, stopped eating out, stopped drinking calories, did low carb for the first 2 years.  Lost about 90 pounds within the first 4 months or so.  Then hit the exercise routine for about a year, then COVID hit and I started running for exercise.  I was probably 195 when COVID hit and kept running all the way down to 180.  Switched up my diet to be high carb, high protein, medium fat and when the gyms opened again, did a hybrid routine of gym/running.  To answer your question, I was down to 185 in about 3 years.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1