Texas @ Cal State Fullerton Series Thread

Horny Bull

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horrible series because we came up small in key situations. It is one thing to just not be good and another to be losers who find a way to lose.

Enormous stretch coming up where we have to win. I hope these guys can find some confidence in that stretch or the Big 12 is going to destroy us....except Baylor. Probably.

Just now, TornACL said:

I don't want to watch that walk off hit again but I don't understand why Brown was shaded so far right in LF and why he wasn't tearing ass after that ball.

Wish whitehead was worth a fuck at the plate. Would be nice to have him in left and DH Brown

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Horrible series because we came up small in key situations. It is one thing to just not be good and another to be losers who find a way to lose.

Enormous stretch coming up where we have to win. I hope these guys can find some confidence in that stretch or the Big 12 is going to destroy us....except Baylor. Probably.

Yeah... Cal State is not a good team this year either

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hits and only 4 runs? That's NEVER good.

And easy way to judge a team is to look at their record in one run ballgames. Through 11 games we are 0-4 in those , and we have two other games lost by two runs. 

Might want to have plenty of booze on hand and your blood pressure meds handy if you're going to continue to follow.  

The Big Lebowski Reaction GIF

Edited by BillyGoatHill

Best pitcher didn’t have his best stuff Friday night, and then today get Arkansas’d. If we can’t learn to play a full nine and finish, the future is going to be hard to watch. Also, I don’t think I’ve seen this many hard hit balls right at the defense in such a short time frame. Maybe those start to fall. 

Just now, Levi said:

Best pitcher didn’t have his best stuff Friday night, and then today get Arkansas’d. If we can’t learn to play a full nine and finish, the future is going to be hard to watch. Also, I don’t think I’ve seen this many hard hit balls right at the defense in such a short time frame. Maybe those start to fall. 

Yeah I am still patient.

Everything looks bad but things can turn around quickly in this crazy game. Especially if we keep pitching decently.

But I cannot deny they seem similar to 2013, 2015, 2016, and 2019 so far.

Wish whitehead was worth a fuck at the plate. Would be nice to have him in left and DH Brown

Do we know he’s not? 1 AB a week won’t do anything for timing or confidence.

But based on what we saw last year, I’m not sure he’s good defensively.

Thought someone said Thomas had some OF in him. Powell at 1st, Brown at DH.

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah I am still patient.

Everything looks bad but things can turn around quickly in this crazy game. Especially if we keep pitching decently.

But I cannot deny they seem similar to 2013, 2015, 2016, and 2019 so far.

I’m not to 2019, yet. Our guys expected to produce are not getting it done at a high enough clip. Then you look at the inexperienced/young guys and see too many holes in their game. Take Faltine for example. He didn’t have the best bat but was already borderline elite in the field as freshman. He had guys with experience in front of him that could pick up the slack. Both Flores and Thompson at times look completely lost at the plate and in the field. Guys like Daly, DC, O’Dowd and Guillemette are not not consistently pulling their expected weight. Hopefully Powell can help put another spark in the lineup. Right now, Kennedy is the only guy in the lineup consistently worth a damn. You could maybe put Brown in their but he’s had some wtf moments. 

51 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I don't want to watch that walk off hit again but I don't understand why Brown was shaded so far right in LF and why he wasn't tearing ass after that ball.

He’s probably used to a SS or third baseman that can make the play. Faltine gets that out 100% of the time. But I was wondering the same thing. 

Edited by jw4381

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We can shit on the dude all we want and it’s shitty that we keep putting him in these situations, but I would 100% rather have Duplantier on the mound than Chase Lummus or Sam Walbridge.

I am not shitting on Duplantier.  I am saying that he is more effective in other situations.  He has good off-speed shit and he needs to come in in situations where he has the freedom to allow a runner on base.  

Bringing a guy like him in the 9th and 11th respectively, when there are multiple runners on base is a disaster.

1 minute ago, WBT said:

What is their expected weight and based on what?

For starters, Daly could maybe go to his freshman form where he was hitting .316, fielded .964 and tied for second in hits on the team. I guess he set the bar too high and we shouldn’t expect anything from him. DC showed what he’s capable of last year but again I guess we are dumb to think he should take the next step. O’Dowd you probably have a point. I wasn’t expecting much out of him in the beginning and he hasn’t done much to make me think he can be a consistent contributor going forward. Guillemette was a solid contributor at USC and should be better at this point of the season. 3 experienced players and junior not getting it done consistently. 

This upcoming stretch of the schedule could be where these guys, along with the others that are struggling, find their groove. They go into conference playing good ball through out, and we look back at this time as growing pains or whatever. Or, they do the same with the upcoming schedule but when conference play starts against better competition, their inabilities start to shine again. We will have to come to the unfortunate conclusion that they are simply not that good, and Pierce fucked up in the off-season big time, weak NIL or not. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

I am not shitting on Duplantier.  I am saying that he is more effective in other situations.  He has good off-speed shit and he needs to come in in situations where he has the freedom to allow a runner on base.  

Bringing a guy like him in the 9th and 11th respectively, when there are multiple runners on base is a disaster.

We didn’t have much of a choice today. It was either Lummus or Duplantier, and I believe we made the right choice even with the result that happens.

But yes, I agree moving forward there are certain scenarios where he is better set up for success.

12 minutes ago, Levi said:

We will have to come to the unfortunate conclusion that they are simply not that good, and Pierce fucked up in the off-season big time, weak NIL or not. 

I admittedly didn't follow the offseason that much but this is what it looks like to me.  My question was snarky out of frustration for sure but...

Daly has still not been as good as his freshman year but after last year, I'm not that unhappy with what he's done.  His average is up from last year but unfortunately he's not walking as much.  DC got hot at the end of last year but both of his first two years he's had stretches where he's looked bad.  I'm not really surprised at his start.  He'll have better stretches ahead of him this season too.  I'll admit to not knowing much about Guillemette or what to expect from him.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, WBT said:

I admittedly didn't follow the offseason that much but this is what it looks like to me.  My question was snarky out of frustration for sure but...

Daly has still not been as good as his freshman year but after last year, I'm not that unhappy with what he's done.  His average is up from last year but unfortunately he's not walking as much.  DC got hot at the end of last year but both of his first two years he's had stretches where he's looked bad.  I'm not really surprised at his start.  He'll have better stretches ahead of him this season too.  I'll admit to not knowing much about Guillemette or what to expect from him.

All fair points. Daly should still be playing better in the field and he’s showed the hitter he can be. I don’t think anyone expected him to be the same as Faltine at short, those would be unwarranted expectations. I think the thought was he had a sophomore slump and the expectation was that he would figure it out in the offseason to be closer to his better form. DC definitely got better towards the end last year. I still think the slower start shouldn’t carry over to this season because his role is a for sure full time starter. Last year it was up in the air at times in the beginning. 

12 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

We’re about to play 10 games in two weeks. Is 7-3 asking too much?

If we can’t win at least 9 of the next 11 against SHSU, Mercer, Manhattan (x3), North Dakota State (x2), New Orleans (x3) and Incarnate Word, then light the cigarettes.

• Like 3