RIP Jeff Ontiveros

TrashMaster G

I saw Jeff quite a bit every year. In fact I just saw him on a trip to Hawaii with his family at Thanksgiving. I had heard he had recent kidney issues. Didn’t feel well and asked to go to the hospital in the early morning hours. Didn’t survive. Just unbelievable. Total shock

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

surreal. will forever be a legend as part of that 2002 team/the guy who recorded the final out. Moss, Quintanilla, Majewski, Ontiveros is the best 1-4 of my lifetime. RIP Champ.

That team was so fucking badass. And how dare you forget the legend Kal Napoleon 

RIP, Jeff.  Luv ya !

Jeff Ontiveros, who set home run records at Texas and still holds the mark for games played in a Longhorns uniform, died this week, the school acknowledged Saturday.

A tweet from the Texas baseball program said: "We are saddened to hear of the passing of Jeff Ontiveros, ’02 national champion and the Longhorns’ all-time leader in games played. Our thoughts are with his family and loved ones."

The Twitter account belonging to the baseball team at Round Rock High School, where Ontiveros won a state championship in 1997, said he died Friday morning. No cause of death has been announced.

Ontiveros, 43, played at Texas from 1999 to 2002. The first baseman is still the Longhorns' all-time leader in games played (260), starts (253), at-bats (922) and total bases (510).

He also left Texas as the Longhorns' home run king, though his 55 career homers were surpassed by Kyle Russell's 57. The 20 home runs he hit in 2002 were bested by Ivan Melendez (32 in 2022), Russell (28 in 2007) and Kody Clemens (24 in 2018). While Melendez was resetting the school standard last season, Ontiveros told the American-Statesman: "Kid's a phenomenal player. It's fun to watch him compete at that kind of level."

On his final play in a UT uniform, Ontiveros scooped up a grounder hit by a South Carolina batter and stepped on first base to secure the 2002 College World Series title.

"Jeff was someone I grew up idolizing as a high school standout, then a college leader, then a teammate who provided all of us with his blend of absolute toughness and beautiful love for the game," former UT teammate Huston Street tweeted Saturday. "He is a Longhorn Legend, Champion, and made all those around him better."

After he left Texas, Ontiveros played for a few years in Boston's farm system.

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/longhorns/baseball/2023/03/04/former-texas-baseball-slugger-jeff-ontiveros-passes-away/69971648007/

image.thumb.jpeg.9a4ecc6dba2f8ded938be9cce58c51bc.jpeg

Edited by torre
  • Hook 'Em 2

It's been a while but recall the narrative was we didn't have thumpers in our lineup, mostly playing station to station. Then Biggie was the heart of that lineup (Q, Tim Moss, etc)....and we won the CWS in 02(I think? ) Was is stanford or some other team, he came up clutch in that moment. Pissed on a ball to left center gap....gave breathing room and always fun to beat stanford 

• Hook 'Em 1

As part of the Rice baseball community during that time period, Ontiveros was a monster and inspired fear every time he came to the plate. He was a fantastic player and had a swagger that was quite intimidating. Tragic to hear of his passing. Prayers of healing for the family and friends. 

• Hook 'Em 3