2023 NCAA tournament survivor pool

HornOnTheBayou

We've done this the last couple of years and it's worked out well. It's definitely a fun wrinkle to a NCAA tournament pool. You pick one team each day of the tournament to win straight-up. If they win, you advance. If you lose, you're out. You can only pick a team once so you may not want to use a #1 seed on the first day. The only exception to the "one pick per day" rule is in the Elite 8 round where you will still have to pick two teams, but you can pick both the Saturday games, both the Sunday games, or one of each.

The pool is at https://www.tournamentpools.com/pools.cfm?poolid=182847&p=2&pwd=p9nrt5. If it asks for a password, use p9nrt5.

It's $50 to join, but tournamentpools.com does charge $1/entry, so please send me $51. PM me for paypal or venmo details.

Edited by HornOnTheBayou

Congrats to everyone that is going on to the second weekend. I would have joined y'all if Missouri hadn't choked against a bunch of trust-fund nepo babies.

Just remember that you have to pick a winner for both Thursday and Friday. If you make it to the weekend, you still have to pick two Elite Eight games, but you can do the two Saturday games, the two Sunday games, or one of each.

Point of clarification- I assume it's not last person eliminated and the winner has to win the entire round (i.E. if someone gets eliminated with a pick on Saturday and I get eliminated on my pick Sunday that doesn't make me the winner- right?)

Second question- if nobody is left standing after a round what happens- split the pot equally?

Yes, in order to win, you have to pick correctly while everyone else picks wrong. If everyone left gets knocked out in the same round, it resets and everyone who was alive in that round moves on to the next round.

The only thing I'm not sure about is what happens if two people are left standing for the weekend and one person goes 0-2 on Saturday/Sunday and the other goes 1-1. I'll look at the official rules when I get home tonight.

• Hook 'Em 1

From the site.....still don't really know what happens if someone goes 1-1 and other goes 0-2.

I don't think we have ever gotten that far lmao

REVIVE ALL
When all the remaining survivors get eliminated on the same day, they will be revived to keep the game going. For example, say the pool had 20 players to begin with. Say by Day 7 there were only 3 players remaining and they all lost that day. Those 3 people would be revived to continue on to Day 8.

POINT SPREADS
This pool does not use point spreads. Wins are determined on a straight-up basis.

DAILY PICKS
You will make 1 pick per day of the tournament.

ELITE 8 SPECIAL RULE
In the Elite 8 Round, when there are 2 games on Saturday and 2 games on Sunday, you will pick any 2 teams from either day. You may pick 1 Elite 8 team from each day, 2 teams from Saturday, or 2 teams from Sunday. The deadline for making your 2 picks is at the regularly scheduled time on SUNDAY. However, you will not be able to pick a team from a game that has already started. All picks get LOCKED at the scheduled tipoff time.

TIEBREAKERS
There are no tiebreakers. If more than one player makes it to the championship and wins, they will split the pot.

When a player makes a winning pick (technically advancing to the next day) but doesn't have any teams left to pick, that player is still in the running and will only be knocked out when someone else in the pool makes another winning pick. It is the eventual number of winning picks that determines who wins the pool.

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

When a player makes a winning pick (technically advancing to the next day) but doesn't have any teams left to pick, that player is still in the running and will only be knocked out when someone else in the pool makes another winning pick. It is the eventual number of winning picks that determines who wins the pool.

To me, that last sentence sums up the 1-1 vs 0-2 decision. If that happens, the 1-1 person wins the whole thing because they have more wins. If anyone has thoughts on it, feel free to share, but if I don't hear any complaints, that's the ruling we'll go with.

And, @Scraps, you're right, we've never gotten this far before. So I guess it's one of those good problems to have.

Edited by HornOnTheBayou
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scraps said:

4 of yall have a tough pick

3 of us have an easy pick, but will our boy blow it?

Tbd

Oh I disagree man- Tenn isn’t an easy pick over FAU and I LOVE the Ricktator. 
there’s actually a pretty easy pick on the board tonight I just want don’t want to make it bc I will need to make that pick again in the final 4 if it’s still going on. 
Fuck it. Play for today and deal with tomorrow tomorrow. If I get knocked out without making a losing pick so be it I guess. 

On 3/20/2023 at 3:26 PM, HornOnTheBayou said:

To me, that last sentence sums up the 1-1 vs 0-2 decision. If that happens, the 1-1 person wins the whole thing because they have more wins. If anyone has thoughts on it, feel free to share, but if I don't hear any complaints, that's the ruling we'll go with.

i'm good with that.

11 minutes ago, Scraps said:

4 of yall have a tough pick

3 of us have an easy pick, but will our boy blow it?

Tbd

Wanted to take KSU but just couldn’t. Fired away on UCONN even though I like them to the final 4 and would have taken them over either Zags or a banged up UCLA. 
Me taking UConn was a bet against y’all. 

Just now, BigOrange1 said:

i'm good with that.

Me too. 
I’d also be good with a split pot to whoever all loses in the same round but I guess that’s not an option. 

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

going bold tonight!  probably dumb but we'll find out soon.

I wanted to do that. I even had them tee’d up bc I really wanted to be able to take UCONN later on in the tourney, and then wimped out and decided to win today and let tomorrow take care of itself. 
I imagine we will all be on the same team tomorrow.