Indycar 2024 - Thermal Club $1 Million Challenge 11:30 am Central Sunday March 24

elfenix

Man I so want to really like this series. I like the cars, I like a lot of the personalities, I like the mix of street, road, and ovals. And of course the Indy500 is one of the best events in the world.

But it's sometimes brutal getting through a race because of all the bone headed crashes. A good percentage of the drivers are world class drivers, but an equally big percentage should not be in a race car.

A third of the field crashed out here. There is almost always a lap 1 incident in Indycars. 

The quality of bottom third of the drivers needs to seriously improve and the number of stupid crashes needs to go way down or Indy will never be a series that really makes it to level it should be.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I don’t think this course design did them any favors. Especially the 10ft wide corner with ten ft of tire wall sticking out onto the track 

True, but they all know it's there. But time again the go into the corner thinking "well maybe THIS time there's room"

Only there never is.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

Man I so want to really like this series. I like the cars, I like a lot of the personalities, I like the mix of street, road, and ovals. And of course the Indy500 is one of the best events in the world.

But it's sometimes brutal getting through a race because of all the bone headed crashes. A good percentage of the drivers are world class drivers, but an equally big percentage should not be in a race car.

A third of the field crashed out here. There is almost always a lap 1 incident in Indycars. 

The quality of bottom third of the drivers needs to seriously improve and the number of stupid crashes needs to go way down or Indy will never be a series that really makes it to level it should be.

This is how I feel. I want to get into IndyCar, but I feel like every time I watch someone pulls the same bullshit and just shoved a faster driver into the wall with no penalty. McLaughlin did it to Grosjean earlier in the race but Grosjean backed out. On lap 71, he pulled the same bullshit, Grosjean doesn’t back out and they both crash out. Makes for a shit product when you’ve been invested in the race for 71 laps only for the two leaders it be gone. They need to start penalizing guys hard or watching the whole race feels really pointless. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

Completely agree with the above.

Every season I watch at least a couple of races and try to get back into this series.  I really enjoyed seeing them at COTA in 2019 and came away very impressed with the amount of performance they get out of the cars given their budgets compared to a series like Formula 1.

But the boneheaded crashes are just inevitable and really spoil the sport for me.  There are just too many bad drivers.  If they can't fill the field with quality drivers, then they should just limit the field.  I assume that economically, that's not feasible for the sport and they need all of that participation, but if it ends up leading to diminished attendance and viewership, then is it really working in their favor?

On a somewhat related note, Will Power liked a bunch of NASCAR COTA pics my 19 yo posted on IG. Maybe he's not such a dick after all. They're really great shots, though.

Also ... go to the 500, at least once. Incredible experience, at a first-class facility run by people who care about their product. It's a really great day.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Completely agree with the above.

Every season I watch at least a couple of races and try to get back into this series.  I really enjoyed seeing them at COTA in 2019 and came away very impressed with the amount of performance they get out of the cars given their budgets compared to a series like Formula 1.

But the boneheaded crashes are just inevitable and really spoil the sport for me.  There are just too many bad drivers.  If they can't fill the field with quality drivers, then they should just limit the field.  I assume that economically, that's not feasible for the sport and they need all of that participation, but if it ends up leading to diminished attendance and viewership, then is it really working in their favor?

Maybe they could use something akin to the 107% rule in F1 (but actually enforce it strictly).

Man, as much as my previous post was bemoaning the lows of IndyCars, today was the highs.

Fantastic race overall, lots of great action. Texas back to a legit two raceable lane track produced a ton of action.

Feel bad for Grosjean as he looked really solid all day, but one mistake on a super speedway will get you.

Also a bit crazy how O'Ward was so dominant in the mid-race lapping all but one car to then come back to reality in the final 10 and just not able to get around Newgarden.

Overall a really fun race. This is when Indy is at its best.

Edited by Hawndoh
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, wood said:

Grosjean'd

It’s amazing how the guy drives a great race for 90-95% of it and then consistently finds new ways to throw it away 

1 hour ago, Hawndoh said:

Man, as much as my previous post was bemoaning the lows of IndyCars, today was the highs.

Fantastic race overall, lots of great action. Texas back to a legit two raceable lane track produced a ton of action.

Feel bad for Grosjean as he looked really solid all day, but one mistake on a super speedway will get you.

Also a bit crazy how O'Ward was so dominant in the mid-race lapping all but one car to then come back to reality in the final 10 and just not able to get around Newgarden.

Overall a really fun race. This is when Indy is at its best.

Yeah, I watched the extended highlights and this race was incredible. If they would just police the dirty driving tougher/more consistently, it would be an incredible product. I still enjoy it, but too many of their races feel like the F1 race today where the first 80-90% of the race was pointless. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

Holy shit!  Kirkwood upside down, one of his tires cleared the catch fence and luckily shot through a gap in the stands and didn't hit the crowd. Tire is in the parking lot somewhere.

I hope you are correct. 
That was scary as shit.

Just saw the slo-mo …… the tire did go through the gap and not into the stands (where it would’ve killed somebody.

My great aunt’s husband was killed driving a midget racer in the 1940s. All they had for protection was a helmet and a lap belt like this outfit…

8ABB3B63-B3EC-4F5C-ABB8-E211B3A8C6A7.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

• elfenix changed the title to Indycar 2024 - Thermal Club $1 Million Challenge 11:30 am Central Sunday March 24