Indycar 2024 - Thermal Club $1 Million Challenge 11:30 am Central Sunday March 24

elfenix

Just now, Jshep34 said:

Do not end the 500 under yellow. Let them race.

Disagree. This kind of stuff is a bad look for Indy.

Just now, notre dame joe said:

So every red flag has fouled up the restart resulting in another accident.

Welcome to IndyCar

• Rage+1 1

indycar needs to control pit lane better.  legge binned her car doing a burnout, veekay would have binned his if palou wasn't there, herta took out grosjean, and there were several more burnout slides that could have ended badly

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

newgarden on the back straight on lap 200!

into the crowd!

We wound up a with much better finish than it looked like we were going to get for a bit there. That was a thrilling last lap. Good for Newgarden.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, elfenix said:

indycar needs to control pit lane better.  legge binned her car doing a burnout, veekay would have binned his if palou wasn't there, herta took out grosjean, and there were several more burnout slides that could have ended badly

Yep, and they need to control the crazy weaving/blocking too.

Not sure I have ever watched an Indycar race and am just a casual F1 fan.  Man that was fucking awesome yesterday.  But holy shit the pit lane stuff, is that normal?  Absolute chaos.  In addition to the multiple collisions, a car hit a tire and could have easily hit the tire man.

4 hours ago, Hozz said:

Not sure I have ever watched an Indycar race and am just a casual F1 fan.  Man that was fucking awesome yesterday.  But holy shit the pit lane stuff, is that normal?  Absolute chaos.  In addition to the multiple collisions, a car hit a tire and could have easily hit the tire man.

I've seen a whole lot of Indy 500s, and yesterday's was the least professionally run of all of those in my memory ... from the driving on the track and in the pits, to race control. Yeah, things happen, but that was an absolute shitshow.

Edited by wood

On 5/28/2023 at 10:19 PM, wood said:

Yep, and they need to control the crazy weaving/blocking too.

I don't watch Indy Cars that much, but good god the weaving was insane. I was ready for someone to go spinning from it. You just can't have that going on at 225 mph.

I've seen a whole lot of Indy 500s, and yesterday's was the least professionally run of all of those in my memory ... from the driving on the track and in the pits, to race control. Yeah, things happen, but that was an absolute shitshow.

The time or two made for some excitement, but after that I was like WTF is happening?
  • Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Some basic track limits might prohibit weaving into the damn pit lane. 

Yep. people are already talking about giving a drivethrough penalty to anyone crossing the pit entry line without pitting. That's a good start, but that wasn't the only dangerous/crazy weaving. They need to clamp down on that in general.

• Hook 'Em 1

NBC would charge too much. They have to make enough money on the 500 to fund the whole dang season. The other races don't get great ratings.

At least we mostly get picture in picture during the commercials, except for the Indiana Jones trailer 

The more I think about IndyCar allowing the weaving into the pit lane, the crazier it seems to me. 

- Leader cuts to the pit lane with a problem, out of fuel, puncture, engine issue. Whatever. Drivers behind follow him, thinking he's just trying to break the tow. Leader slows to make the pit speed limit line. All hell breaks loose, with the whole field behind them.

- A line of cars weave into the pit lane. Someone misjudges it and hits the attenuator at 235 mph. Possibly bouncing back onto the track in front of the field. 

- A car or cars loses control in the pit entry lane and comes down pitlane at 235 mph .............

IndyCar says that the dotted line is there merely as a reference. If they can't or won't change the formula so that there's no advantage to the crazy weaving (i.e. slower in the corners and faster down the straights), then the rule needs to be changed so that that line is treated like a wall unless you're actually intending to enter the pits.

By slowing the cars, IndyCar has basically created open-wheel pack racing. Pack racing has no place at all in motorsport, imho, but got damn ... it sure the fuck has no place in open-wheel racing at near 240 mph. The cars need to be slower in the corners and faster down the straights, so they can separate.

My first Indy was 73. Att Pollard had been killed on Pole Day. Kicked off with the starter going green flag a lap early which caused a huge mess with Salt Walther taking out 11 cars and setting hundreds of spectators on fire. We stayed for the race finally going off on Wednesday. We were sitting in the pits. We watched Swede Savage plow into the wall out of T4 head on and explode. Swede was in view of us as his part of the tub was in the track, fully conscious and engulfed in fire. A fire truck heading up the pit road the wrong way then hit a pot board guy who was running toward the scene. He flew about 50 feet, DOA at the hospital. I was 14 and it was a horrific thing to see and gave me plenty of nightmares and a real fear of a burning death. Swede hung on in a burn ward until July.

USAC made immediate rule changes and forced Indy to make huge safety improvements for 74.

Look at this field. Some of my all time favorites. AJ, Johnny Rutherford, Lloyd Ruby, Jim McElreith so Texas well represented. Revson and Donahue both died in 75 in wrecks.

Row Inside Middle Outside
1 United States Johnny Rutherford United States Bobby Unser W United States Mark Donohue W
2 United States Swede Savage United States Gary Bettenhausen United States Mario Andretti W
3 United States Steve Krisiloff United States Al Unser W United States Jimmy Caruthers
4 United States Peter Revson United States Gordon Johncock United States Bobby Allison R
5 New Zealand Graham McRae R United States Roger McCluskey United States Lloyd Ruby
6 United States Bill Vukovich II United States Salt Walther United States Jerry Grant
7 United States Mel Kenyon United States Wally Dallenbach Sr. United States Mike Mosley
8 United Kingdom David Hobbs United States A. J. Foyt W United States John Martin
9 United States Lee Kunzman United States Mike Hiss United States Dick Simon
10 United States Jerry Karl R United States Joe Leonard United States George Snider
11 United States Bob Harkey United States Sammy Sessions United States Jim McElreath
  • Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 9:46 PM, Anwar Namtut said:

Not nearly as bad as I expected. Still too many cautions but at least it wasn’t like the first Nashville race.

was kinda fun watching the cars slide around but every corner would be faster in a kart. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

nashville was really entertaining, not a yellow fest like the prior years.  will switch to running on broadway next year though it will still incorporate the bridge, so at least they get one good race from this layout.

today's indy gp was pretty great

Spoiler

scott dixon spin and win from way back after furious fuel saving with rahal tracking him down in the closing laps

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • elfenix changed the title to Indycar 2024 - Thermal Club $1 Million Challenge 11:30 am Central Sunday March 24