Best Tex Mex in Corpus

Patricio Swayze

I like Kiko’s. 

Funny this the first suggestion. Someone referred my folks to this place and they like it. They took my family and we had a good meal. Then they took my younger brother’s family and they hated it. So I thought I would come to the surly braintrust and get some other suggestions.

As a resident of Corpus for at least another three or four years,  I can confirm Corpus is void of memorable Mexican food.   You get better up in SA, Austin, and down in the RGV of course and we are right in the middle of those areas which one would think we'd have more than a handful of long standing places too.     Kikos as noted above is the standard, but most of the other stuff is the Taqueria Blah, Blah, Blah #10000 with cooks that are good one day and horrible the next and are located in former DQ's, Pizza Huts, and Whataburgers.  Snapka Drvie in has decent  Mexican food  and there is Hi-Ho, but they close early afternoon after the lunch crowd is done.

Rockport has a good place called Los Comales.   Haven't been in a few years since I no longer have business interest in Rockport, but it used to be a regular spot I'd go to.

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

As a resident of Corpus for at least another three or four years,  I can confirm Corpus is void of memorable Mexican food.   You get better up in SA, Austin, and down in the RGV of course and we are right in the middle of those areas which one would think we'd have more than a handful of long standing places too.     Kikos as noted above is the standard, but most of the other stuff is the Taqueria Blah, Blah, Blah #10000 with cooks that are good one day and horrible the next and are located in former DQ's, Pizza Huts, and Whataburgers.  Snapka Drvie in has decent  Mexican food  and there is Hi-Ho, but they close early afternoon after the lunch crowd is done.

Rockport has a good place called Los Comales.   Haven't been in a few years since I no longer have business interest in Rockport, but it used to be a regular spot I'd go to.

Where you headed?  

I don't get the Kiko's hype.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Where you headed?  

I don't get the Kiko's hype.  

Hill Country some where between Kerrville, north to Austin and back down to San Antonio.   My Wife likes Boerne, but I prefer to be up near Blanco or Wimberley.  She will probably win.... LOL!

Kikos is Tex Mex style and is one of the last long time family owned places here.  You are right, I have had better elsewhere in the state.  But it works compared to many of the others that start with Taqueria in their names or are named after a state in Mexico.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Nueces River Rat said:

Hill Country some where between Kerrville, north to Austin and back down to San Antonio.   My Wife like Boerne, but I prefer to be up near Blanco or Wimberley.

Kikos is Tex Mex style and is one of the last long time family owned places here.  You are right, I have had better elsewhere in the state.  But it works compared to many of the others that start with Taqueria in their names or are named after a state in Mexico.  

State?  I've had better 4 blocks down. Haha. Actually it's ok, I like the fried mushrooms, I just don't get the hype.

• Hook 'Em 1

Fulton/Rockport has better Mexican food than Corpus. As mentioned Kiko’s is ok. Unfortunately they need to drive to San Antonio for the good stuff.

Hmm, they disagree. I can’t say as I haven’t tried all the spots there even though my family has been in the area for decades.

I do like La Terraza in Seadrift.
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

State?  I've had better 4 blocks down. Haha. Actually it's ok, I like the fried mushrooms, I just don't get the hype.

Right.   It probably wouldn't make a legit top list for best Tex/Mex in the Texas.  Sadly this place is void of long standing ethnic food places of many sorts and BBQ.   It's like the whole focus is on Seafood and when many of the old timers died off that did have some good establishments,  their kids and other family  moved off to start their own up state in other parts of the nation.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Acapulco #1, 1133 Airline Rd, Corpus Christi, TX 78412 solid taqueria food

Out of the way, but damn good breakfast tacos, everything else is fair …. Feliz Amanecer In calallen 

southside barbacoa for breakfast 

Sonny’s is damn good breakfast, worth trying their lunch menu 

avoid yola, it was horrible 

not corpus, but tell them to go try Bubba’s in Seadrift for seafood. Weekend crowds are crazy. The Sunday fried chicken buffet is damn good, but be there at 11. The Taqueria in Seadrift is very good, I’ve had 200+ meals there 

canales cafe in tivoli is very classic Tex mex lunchz. I haven’t been there in a awhile, but had many good meals there 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

Linda's on Gollihar has really good breakfast tacos.  And it ALWAYS packed...so, take that for what it's worth.

It's actually owned by the mother of one of my engineers...

And Casa Vieja on the frontage road between Flour Bluff and Waldron is decent.

casa vieja is great tacos on the way to the beach 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Funny this the first suggestion. Someone referred my folks to this place and they like it. They took my family and we had a good meal. Then they took my younger brother’s family and they hated it. So I thought I would come to the surly braintrust and get some other suggestions.

you either love or hate kikos. It’s good, great tortillas and cheese enchiladas 

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Out of the way, but damn good breakfast tacos, everything else is fair …. Feliz Amanecer In calallen 

not corpus, but tell them to go try Bubba’s in Seadrift for seafood. Weekend crowds are crazy. The Sunday fried chicken buffet is damn good, but be there at 11. The Taqueria in Seadrift is very good, I’ve had 200+ meals there 

canales cafe in tivoli is very classic Tex mex lunchz. I haven’t been there in a awhile, but had many good meals there 

Bubba's is definitely a good spot, and the taqueria there in Seadrift as well from what my wife tells me, and I think I trust her with that. Have only ever had Canales in Tivoli once, and it was steak night. It wasn't terrible, and wasn't expensive, but I'd probably not go out of the way for it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Bubba's is definitely a good spot, and the taqueria there in Seadrift as well from what my wife tells me, and I think I trust her with that. Have only ever had Canales in Tivoli once, and it was steak night. It wasn't terrible, and wasn't expensive, but I'd probably not go out of the way for it. 

canales - true Texmex style, only been for lunch 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Since we’re talking that area ….

RiP Barkett’s  in Seadrift - it was easily top 3 chicken fried steak in the state and very very good seafood 

And Cathy's down the road in POC, just a few months back. Had a decent chicken fried steak themselves. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Bubbas in Seadrift if very legit.... Might have to take a little road trip this Saturday....

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I get to Seadrift periodically.  My GF's best friend owns the winery in Long Mott on the way into town so we stay with them several times a year.  I'll have to try that place.

• Hook 'Em 1