Texas Boys State Championship - Alamodome

March 10 Semis

7:00 pm 6A Beaumont United(35-1) vs. Northside Brennan(32-7)
8:30 pm 6A Richardson Lake Highlands(32-3) vs. DeSoto(30-8)

I've been following little Lake Highlands and they look pretty good.  I think Tre Johnson has some solid help from some of the others on the team.   

Go Lake Highlands!  Go Brennan!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

State winner should have to play Duncanville for the true title but I digress.

If they wanted to play for the state championship they shouldn't have committed recruiting violations. I get the NCAA has turned into the wild west but it would be nice to maintain some level of decorum when it comes to high school athletics. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, ztejas said:

If they wanted to play for the state championship they shouldn't have committed recruiting violations. I get the NCAA has turned into the wild west but it would be nice to maintain some level of decorum when it comes to high school athletics. 

Sure, the NCAA often punishes a program thats caught with recruiting violations with postseason sanctions. The UIL needs to punish programs that are caught with recruiting violations as well, but they don’t have to follow the model of the NCAA. They have the option to punish the violating programs in ways that won’t hurt the kids who had nothing to do with the violations and those should be considered. 

Edited by perfectchaos007

12 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

March 10 Semis

7:00 pm 6A Beaumont United(35-1) vs. Northside Brennan(32-7)
8:30 pm 6A Richardson Lake Highlands(32-3) vs. DeSoto(30-8)

I've been following little Lake Highlands and they look pretty good.  I think Tre Johnson has some solid help from some of the others on the team.   

Go Lake Highlands!  Go Brennan!

In before @Porterhouse chimes in to claim Tre Johnson sucks and is highly overrated.   Right up the road from me so I've watched them a couple of times.  They have a decent big man as well and skilled PG that I believe is going to North Texas.  Really solid overall team but Tre was really dialed in the last game where they blew out Byron Nelson (7 3P's).  BN made a little run while Tre was on the bench with 3 fouls to keep it within striking distance at half (they had a kid committed to Butler), but were just dismantled in the 2nd.  Hoping LH can bring it home.  If they are shooting well from outside I think they will.

53 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This is bullshit in the Duncanville case.  They were punished for Anthony Black moving into the district to live with his mother.  Of all the transgressions to prosecute, the UIL seems to have chosen one of the most flimsy, imo (Black accused his father (former Baylor player Terry Black of abuse).

I think the girl's program has had multiple violations and the boy's may have suffered as a result.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Sure, the NCAA often punishes a program thats caught with recruiting violations with postseason sanctions. The UIL needs to punish programs that are caught with recruiting violations as well, but they don’t have to follow the model of the NCAA. They have the option to punish the violating programs in ways that won’t hurt the kids who had nothing to do with the violations and those should be considered. 

20 minutes ago, cochamps said:

This is bullshit in the Duncanville case.  They were punished for Anthony Black moving into the district to live with his mother.  Of all the transgressions to prosecute, the UIL seems to have chosen one of the most flimsy, imo (Black accused his father (former Baylor player Terry Black of abuse).

I think the girl's program has had multiple violations and the boy's may have suffered as a result.  

I'm not saying there isn't nuance or that it shouldn't be case by case. And maybe it is too harsh a penalty. I just think high school sports are better when it's our kids vs. your kids. And isn't the state tournament kind of more fun without Duncanville? 

As far as punishing the kids - I'm not really sure how you punish the school without the kids getting caught in the fallout. They did all get to play in the tournament last season (granted their title was stripped) and they got to play a regular schedule this season. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not saying there isn't nuance or that it shouldn't be case by case. And maybe it is too harsh a penalty. I just think high school sports are better when it's our kids vs. your kids. And isn't the state tournament kind of more fun without Duncanville? 

As far as punishing the kids - I'm not really sure how you punish the school without the kids getting caught in the fallout. They did all get to play in the tournament last season (granted their title was stripped) and they got to play a regular schedule this season. 

I don't think the state tourney is better without Duncanville - I am agreeing with posters above who would like to see the best teams.

Think the genie is out of the bottle on "our kids vs your kids", that vanished long ago imo.

edit: not sure I referenced "punishing the kids", but Black did play at Arkansas this year and only his teammates were punished.

Edited by cochamps
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

In before @Porterhouse chimes in to claim Tre Johnson sucks and is highly overrated.   Right up the road from me so I've watched them a couple of times.  They have a decent big man as well and skilled PG that I believe is going to North Texas.  Really solid overall team but Tre was really dialed in the last game where they blew out Byron Nelson (7 3P's).  BN made a little run while Tre was on the bench with 3 fouls to keep it within striking distance at half (they had a kid committed to Butler), but were just dismantled in the 2nd.  Hoping LH can bring it home.  If they are shooting well from outside I think they will.

He’s going to Yale unless he changed his mind. Samson isn’t much of an offensive player but is a defensive stud. Tre is overrated with an insane dad. LH is a decent, well-coached team that isn’t close to Duncanville. 

Edit: sorry, thought you said big man going to UNT. 

Also, I know Dville only beat them by 1. I went to the game. Dville is far more skilled. 

Edited by Porterhouse

I went to Duncanville in the 90’s, mom was a teacher there and dad was an administrator, but I’ll try and be unbiased.  The girls team, or head coach, has recruited and been caught multiple times.  She needs to go.  The boys team was punished for the coach following a court order that said Black could play.  The UIL is run by a bunch of crooks who don’t know their ass from a hole in the ground.

The UIL told Duncanville if they didn’t accept their title being stripped and no postseason this year, that they were going to dig and find something with football.  This was in the midst of football starting the playoffs and being one of the faves(which they won).  

In short, women’s suspension was more correct due to multiple recruiting issues.  Boys was pure bullshit.  Since when does the UIL take precedent over a state judge?

Both teams would have won championships this year.   Just my opinion.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Also.  The state tourney in San Antonio isn’t changing because the UIL execs get to go on vacation to San Antonio for 2 weeks.  Staying on our tax dollars at the nicest hotels.

it belongs in Austin, but SXSW and hotel availability killed that.  Would love to see it somewhere with some actual atmosphere and not at the Alamodome.  

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

He’s going to Yale unless he changed his mind. Samson isn’t much of an offensive player but is a defensive stud. Tre is overrated with an insane dad. LH is a decent, well-coached team that isn’t close to Duncanville. 

Edit: sorry, thought you said big man going to UNT. 

Also, I know Dville only beat them by 1. I went to the game. Dville is far more skilled. 

What exactly, makes his dad insane? 

22 minutes ago, HalfSack Horn said:

I went to Duncanville in the 90’s, mom was a teacher there and dad was an administrator, but I’ll try and be unbiased.  The girls team, or head coach, has recruited and been caught multiple times.  She needs to go.  The boys team was punished for the coach following a court order that said Black could play.  The UIL is run by a bunch of crooks who don’t know their ass from a hole in the ground.

The UIL told Duncanville if they didn’t accept their title being stripped and no postseason this year, that they were going to dig and find something with football.  This was in the midst of football starting the playoffs and being one of the faves(which they won).  

In short, women’s suspension was more correct due to multiple recruiting issues.  Boys was pure bullshit.  Since when does the UIL take precedent over a state judge?

Both teams would have won championships this year.   Just my opinion.

Cathy Self - Self-Morgan after she married my Westlake classmate’s and one of her former player’s father after her mom died - will cheat her ass off. Fuck her. 

2 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

What exactly, makes his dad insane? 

Everything. Helicopter dad extraordinaire. 

29 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

HP butthurt…serious bidness.

Ha. Not really. I root for LH and always have (except against HP). It is well known amongst basketball circles his dad is nuts. Like, common knowledge. 

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

The second best player on LH is Quinten Perkens (Jaylon Washignton is the NT signee).   He can rise to the occasion if TJ is off. 

7 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

The second best player on LH is Quinten Perkens (Jaylon Washignton is the NT signee).   He can rise to the occasion if TJ is off. 

LH looked good when they beat North Crowley in the regional semis.  Looked to be a fairly well-balanced team that I could see hanging with Duncanville.  Did not think Tre Johnson looked overrated (small sample size).

16 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Remember him as well.  Kicking myself for not watching that squad play more often this year.   My son will be more into it by next year (will be in 1st grade) so will make more of an effort but Tre won't have the same team around him.

40 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Did not think Tre Johnson looked overrated (small sample size).

Porter is clearly a superior scout to every national rating service that has him as the overall top ranked junior and every college that offered him.  I believe his quote was something to the effect that Texas is better off without him.  I mean he's not a pure freak like Lebron, KD, Zion, etc. that might pop into your head when you say top overall player but from a skills standpoint he looks college ready now as a JR.  I hope we can get back into the mix once coaching situation settled.

11 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Porter is clearly a superior scout to every national rating service that has him as the overall top ranked junior and every college that offered him.  I believe his quote was something to the effect that Texas is better off without him.  I mean he's not a pure freak like Lebron, KD, Zion, etc. that might pop into your head when you say top overall player but from a skills standpoint he looks college ready now as a JR.  I hope we can get back into the mix once coaching situation settled.

You apparently have a problem with my opinion. In 2 games, I saw 6’2” - 6’4” white guys totally shutting Tre down. Like he didn’t even look like a college player. I know he’s polished. He’s unathletic and I see no upside for him beyond college ball. That he’s the #1 player in his class is a farce. I saw a LOT more promise out of Greg Brown III and he was an absolute nut job bust. 

12 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

You apparently have a problem with my opinion.

Not a problem. And I'm not claiming he's a future lottery pick.  I just think it's funny you are convinced that you are right after a 1 or 2 game evaluation (with no doubt a slight bit of bias considering they beat that HP ass 3X this season) and the professional and college scouts somehow have it all wrong.  

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

Not a problem. And I'm not claiming he's a future lottery pick.  I just think it's funny you are convinced that you are right after a 1 or 2 game evaluation (with no doubt a slight bit of bias considering they beat that HP ass 3X this season) and the professional and college scouts somehow have it all wrong.  

In one game he was very underwhelming. He had like 12 points including 5 FTs down the stretch when HP lost 65-59 and was fouling. In others he played better, but he struck me as a guy content shooting rather than driving - which is rare for HS studs. I will say he can easily get to his spots, is extremely skilled, and very smooth. When I say he’s “overrated” it’s because nothing in his game screamed best recruit in the nation. Would I love him at UT?  Yes. 

I’m not butthurt HP lost. HP was lucky to play LH as close as they did (and my contention as to why they did is because TJ is overrated). HP had a typical season under Piehler - won 26 games, 14-2 in district (losing only to LH) and got bounced in the 2nd round. He plays Morey ball, which I hate. All 3s and layups. When playing better teams (Plano this year and LH), he had a bunch of 6’4” athletic white boys driving to the rim and would get their shot blocked. No mid-range game whatsoever. You can’t argue with his sustained success because without Chris Young at 6’10”, he doesn’t have the talent to do a whole lot better, but I wouldn’t coach my kids that way. 

2 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Tre is a  good enough athlete, but he's clearly not overwhelming. He is, however, highly skilled. Easily the most skilled 2 guard Ive seen at his age in a long time. 

I would agree but he’s not the most skilled 2 guard simply because he can be taken out of his game with rough D with his lack of speed. Now, he prob won’t have that issue in college because he won’t be the focal point. I think the ceiling for him is a nice college career at a major program with no NBA future. 

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

That train left the station a long ass time ago.

4 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

I was impressed with Perkens when I’ve seen them play. Against N Crowley, I was very impressed with their team D, Samson’s D, and their unselfish play and ball handling skills. They have a lot of talent around Tre and are very well coached. 

I thought NC’s #1 and #2 were good players but they didn’t have much else. 

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

I watched a couple of minutes.  I’m getting a Glendon Alexander vibe for the Dallas area olds who remember him.

I get what you're saying because of their shooting ability and lack of upper level athleticism, but Glendon didn't have near the handle that Tre has. Of course a lot of that has to do with the difference in the way the game is played now compared to back then, but I don't remember Alexander being near as smooth or as fluid as Tre. One guy always thought was similar to Glendon back in the day and who ultimately had a better college career was Ryan Mendez. Nobody thought to compare them because of their racial differences but having played against both of them growing up I thought they were similarly skilled players. 

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I get what you're saying because of their shooting ability and lack of upper level athleticism, but Glendon didn't have near the handle that Tre has. Of course a lot of that has to do with the difference in the way the game is played now compared to back then, but I don't remember Alexander being near as smooth or as fluid as Tre. One guy always thought was similar to Glendon back in the day and who ultimately had a better college career was Ryan Mendez. Nobody thought to compare them because of their racial differences but having played against both of them growing up I thought they were similarly skilled players. 

I had to guard Glendon twice a year in district play, plus some more during summer league play, and he didn’t rank among the top 5 guys who wore my ass out.  I’m not passing judgment on a guy after watching a couple of minutes of one game, but guys who know how to get buckets in high school have a harder time getting them in college when guarded by better athletes.

25 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I also don’t recall playing against Mendez although I probably did.  The reason I brought Glendon up is because he was so highly rated.

I can’t think of 2 worse venues in the state than the Drum and Alamodome. Terrible places for hoops. 

It absolutely should be played at Moody. If not there then should rotate between AAC and Toyota. 

16 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

How did Duncanville recruit so much recently?  I mean, literally, how did a public high school get kids from all over the state who were already D-1 recruits to move in?  Are high school boosters really paying enough to get McDonalds All Americans?

I get how players will go off to boarding school at some elite private school with a fancy campus or some place like IMG  Academy where they only play basketball.  I get how players IN THE AREA can be recruited to the local powerhouse school or want to play there to raise their profile or just because it’s the cool place to be.  Usually that happens before they already played at a different high school for 3 years, or least it did back in the day.

But how is KJ Lewis, already a top recruit committed Arizona, going from El Paso to Duncanville for his senior year?  SMU’s Zhuric Phelps was from Midland and then suddenly he’s the state tournament MVP for Duncanville a few years ago.  Guys like Anthony Black are at least local in the DFW area, but even that doesn’t make a ton of sense.  He was already a 5 star recruit.  It’s not like he needed to play his last year at Duncanville to get noticed.

Who on earth is paying for a public high school to recruit statewide, and how much money are we talking here?  The whole thing just seems absurd.  

I think it’s more about the schedule they play. The do some big time pre-district tourneys, in addition to playing in a tough district. KJ Lewis wasn’t playing Bronx Cardinal Hayes or CA Norte Dame at El Paso Chapin. Plus the non-district DFW powers they face. Juan Reyna was a state champion MVP as a sophomore at Antonian in San Antonio a few years ago. He transferred to Duncanville for more exposure. I doubt anyone paid his family to go up there. 

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

How did Duncanville recruit so much recently?  I mean, literally, how did a public high school get kids from all over the state who were already D-1 recruits to move in?  Are high school boosters really paying enough to get McDonalds All Americans?

I get how players will go off to boarding school at some elite private school with a fancy campus or some place like IMG  Academy where they only play basketball.  I get how players IN THE AREA can be recruited to the local powerhouse school or want to play there to raise their profile or just because it’s the cool place to be.  Usually that happens before they already played at a different high school for 3 years, or least it did back in the day.

But how is KJ Lewis, already a top recruit committed Arizona, going from El Paso to Duncanville for his senior year?  SMU’s Zhuric Phelps was from Midland and then suddenly he’s the state tournament MVP for Duncanville a few years ago.  Guys like Anthony Black are at least local in the DFW area, but even that doesn’t make a ton of sense.  He was already a 5 star recruit.  It’s not like he needed to play his last year at Duncanville to get noticed.

Who on earth is paying for a public high school to recruit statewide, and how much money are we talking here?  The whole thing just seems absurd.  

Pretty sure Anthony Black's Mom married or lives with Peavy, Duncanville's head coach. 

13 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Well, that would do it.

On a related note, I have an idea for a new dating app focused on connecting coaches and agents with single moms whose kids can ball.   

You can call it “Ballin’ for Ballers”….

Are the championship games going to be broadcast anywhere? Typically the 6A championship game gets a live broadcast on Bally's sports (formerly Fox sports Southwest), but I can't find anything anywhere other than the bullshit NFHS network webcast, which requires a subscription. I guess the U.I.L is back to its former ways of blockading anything that's not high school football in an effort to dissuade high school boys from playing anything but high school football. 

• 3 weeks later...