Is this a scam of some sort?

A guy I know who helped me build a pool some years ago sent me the following message on Messenger:

I need you help me with some confirmation code please my Facebook is acting up so they said they will refer some codes to my friends so they will send them to me and I'll put it back please you will receive the code

Is this a scam or should I help him out? I don't get the scam, if it is one.

Yup. I'd go and change the password to your account as well. This is a pretty well known scam where they claim it is a code for their account, when in reality, it's for yours. Then they change your password, and send the same thing to your friends list, getting more folks to give them access. There was a doc on one of the streaming services es about this. Hulu or Netflix I think.

Edited by UnivTex34
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Yup. I'd go and change the password to your account as well. This is a pretty well known scam where they claim it is a code for their account, when in reality, it's for yours. Then they change your password, and send the same thing to your friends list, getting more folks to give them access. There was a doc on one of the streaming services es about this. Hulu or Netflix I think.

Thanks. It was one of those things where I figured that it was a scam, but I couldn't figure out how it worked.

This recently happened to me. My buddy had told me he got suspended from facebook (again) and he was dealing with getting reinstated, or whatever the fuck they do. I told him to just...not use it and go live his life but whatever. But then a couple of days later, he sent me a message (on FB messenger) that he needed some code and coud I send it to him. We're always busting each other's chops but he wasn't really saying much. I sent him the code and then I texted him on the phone and asked him about it and he said he hadn't sent me anything. I immediately changed my password and nothing came of it. I then got a message from the hackers, asking for gift cards. I said I would do it if he sent nude pics of his wife. So far, no pics but I'll share them if I get any.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 9 months later...

CNN story about modern day slavery where educated tech workers are trafficked to Myanmar via Thailand to live in a city sized compound. Said to be run by Chinese criminals. They're effectively enslaved. They're the ones sending fake text messages that I assume many receive. Crazy story if true.

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2023/12/asia/chinese-scam-operations-american-victims-intl-hnk-dst/

Satellite image of the scam center.

Scam - Copy.JPG

CNN story about modern day slavery where educated tech workers are trafficked to Myanmar via Thailand to live in a city sized compound. Said to be run by Chinese criminals. They're effectively enslaved. They're the ones sending fake text messages that I assume many receive. Crazy story if true.
https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2023/12/asia/chinese-scam-operations-american-victims-intl-hnk-dst/
Satellite image of the scam center.

Scam-Copy.thumb.JPG.ca47614454a52413598e53976e13e4b0.JPG
It's a crazy racket and pretty well known about in the Asian community. Same with kidnapped youth laborors going to the Middle East and Africa.