4 US Citizens Kidnapped in Matamoros

Incredulity

My kid brother and his friend were on South Padre Island for a high school graduation party and decided to go to Matamoros.  My brother's friend somehow was thrown in jail (probably public intoxication) and my brother had to go all the way back to their condo on the island to get "bail" money, eventually getting his friend out.  That was in 1996, and even though the town might have been relatively safer then, I always felt like they got lucky.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, chainsaw said:

north carolina plates is a bad idea

Not really. There’s a fuckton of cars with American plates driving around down there everyday.

I’m wondering why this made the news. There’s US citizens killed/kidnapped on roughly a weekly basis down there. The teenager from EP was hardly a story 2 weeks ago. I suppose 4 at once is probably why. That or the victims were white. 

• Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, South Austin said:

My kid brother and his friend were on South Padre Island for a high school graduation party and decided to go to Matamoros.  My brother's friend somehow was thrown in jail (probably public intoxication) and my brother had to go all the way back to their condo on the island to get "bail" money, eventually getting his friend out.  That was in 1996, and even though the town might have been relatively safer then, I always felt like they got lucky.

We went over damn near every night in spring break 99 when we were underage.  Was an absolute blast although a different time for sure.  

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Hate said:

It’s long past time that we go full “Clear and Present Danger” on the cartels.

23 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

that should do it!

I can't find the link, but Peter Zeihan gave a talk to some kinda miltary think tank where he offered a perspective: Mexico is like Afganistan.  You have a rugged country with enclaves within it, run by warlord/drug lords.  The country itself has a govermnment that can't exert force on these areas.  To be clear, he wasn't advocating for a military invasion of Mexico, but said if, IF we wanted to go after the drug lords, violence and lawlessness, take what we wish we'd done in Afganistan, and do it in Russia. 

Interesting take.

It does happen, but it’s really not super common for cartels to randomly kidnap Americans that are “unaffiliated”. I’m wondering if these 4 got mistaken for another group. But the fact that they got shot at first could mean they tried to run a checkpoint maybe. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I agree with that, but it won’t happen as long as the cartels remain in power…and they will. They have to be taken out one way or another. Legalize drugs, move manufacturing from Asia (China specifically), and somehow get rid of the cartels are all things I support and have for a long time.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Friend of mine (State Dept) did a tour in Matamoros.  There were only three restaurants in the entire city where US personnel were allowed to eat.  He got hazard pay.  The town ain't safe, and hasn't been for a while.  That said.....would like to hear more about 4 Americans in Matamoros in a white van....doubt this was random.

Man....the War on Drugs has seriously fucked some shit up.

I'm with you on my first suspicion being this isn't random. I wonder if the NC plates van wasn't somehow connected to the trade versus this being 4 bachelor party guys wanting to drink coronitas and see a donkey show.

38 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Friend of mine (State Dept) did a tour in Matamoros.  There were only three restaurants in the entire city where US personnel were allowed to eat.  He got hazard pay.  The town ain't safe, and hasn't been for a while.  That said....

Pretty sure I’ve ate at more then four restaurants in Matamores back in my spring break days but three of my friends were like 6’5 250 plus so we never had a issue.   

I fell off a bar stool blackout drunk during a Matamores spring break and was actually kicked out of the bar. Bordertown Mexico was too classy for me, in my hey day. 

Another way us Gen X-ers have ruined the world that our Gen Z-er's are inheriting; no more American privilege to just be able to go cheaply crap all over the country across the border and wantonly act like animals as a birth right.

Edited by HamsterHookah
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You couldn't pay me to cross anywhere along the Texas border. 

Lol. I actually pay the $2.50 or whatever to walk across the bridge in progreso a couple times a year. Its safer than a lot of places in America.

But it’s pretty common knowledge that you stay the fuck out of Matamoros if you can. I haven’t been there in 10 years probably. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I'm confused by the story. It mentions 3 bodies being photographed at the scene. Were those related to the kidnapped Americans or not? 

It is a very poorly written article.  

Were they shot?

Who was on the ground?

Ambulance arrived.  

But they were abducted and loaded into a van.

This may as well be a tweet or series of tweets from drunks.  Journalism is dead.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

In the ‘stupid shit’ column of my life…

Back in 03, when I was still a phone rep, the guy in the next cubical over and I were sorta buddies…his ‘uncle’ was the mayor of Matamoros and asked him to bring him a car he’d purchased in SA.  This dude asked me and a large black man named GB to come along.  We said fuck it, why not. 

Turns out the car was a demo/whatever Jeep from a dealership and had a wrap in the form of a giant American flag for July 4th.  So this tiny Hispanic dude, large black dude and my 6’ white ass drove that damn thing across the border into Matamoros.  It was gaudy even for South Texas.

Between traffic and random stares, it took us forever to deliver it after which the mayor loaned us his black Suburban to tour the town for the day…suddenly traffic was parting like for Moses.  The mayor showed us around his villa and it was the first time I’d seen an AK-47, hanging against the wall just inside the door.  

Turned out fine but in hindsight I shoulda told Manny to fuck off.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

11 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Lol. I actually pay the $2.50 or whatever to walk across the bridge in progreso a couple times a year. Its safer than a lot of places in America.

But it’s pretty common knowledge that you stay the fuck out of Matamoros if you can. I haven’t been there in 10 years probably. 

Fair enough but I don't hang out in those places in America, either. 

• Hook 'Em 3

It does happen, but it’s really not super common for cartels to randomly kidnap Americans that are “unaffiliated”. I’m wondering if these 4 got mistaken for another group. But the fact that they got shot at first could mean they tried to run a checkpoint maybe. 

I'm with you on my first suspicion being this isn't random. I wonder if the NC plates van wasn't somehow connected to the trade versus this being 4 bachelor party guys wanting to drink coronitas and see a donkey show.

I don’t know if this has been updated since OP posted, or if it was just left out by OP, but the reporting indicates officials believe this is a case of mistaken identity. So, not random, but not the right people either, if that turns out to be correct.

We had a bad experience in Matamoros in '94 or '95.  A hot blond in the group got mad at her boyfriend and decided to walk back to the border on the other side of the street from the rest of us.  An International Scout kept driving by catcalling the young hottie until she yelled something back.  Scout stopped in the middle of the street and a few guys jumped out with bats and chains.  A few guys in our group decided to bow up to the Mexicans and a fight broke out.  I, being smarter and a bit of a pussy, decided not to partake in the brawl.  My wife, then girlfriend, and I hightailed it to the border which was several blocks away.  The fight was short and the rest of the party caught up with us while we were crossing.  As we were getting checked across, the Scout crossed the bridge to the US.  I think we had 13 people pile into my two-door Pathfinder.  We made it back to SPI without running into the Scout again.  It could have gone extremely bad.  That was our last trip to Matamoros and I have no plans of ever crossing the border again. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Friend of mine (State Dept) did a tour in Matamoros.  There were only three restaurants in the entire city where US personnel were allowed to eat.  He got hazard pay.  The town ain't safe, and hasn't been for a while.  That said.....would like to hear more about 4 Americans in Matamoros in a white van....doubt this was random.

Man....the War on Drugs has seriously fucked some shit up.

I agree with you, but ending it does not mean the Cartels go away. They have moved into the illicit avocado trade. Think about that next time you get some avocado toast! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

I agree with you, but ending it does not mean the Cartels go away. They have moved into the illicit avocado trade. Think about that next time you get some avocado toast! 

And limes.  Fuckers are fucking with my guacamole.  This aggression will not stand.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952cw8z873voc4yl3mxeok

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I don’t know if this has been updated since OP posted, or if it was just left out by OP, but the reporting indicates officials believe this is a case of mistaken identity. So, not random, but not the right people either, if that turns out to be correct.

I’ve seen some videos on tiktok. If it’s the correct incident, it looked like less of a kidnapping and more of loading dead/dying people into the back of a truck. I don’t know what transpired beforehand since the vid is just the aftermath, but the van was laced up with bullets.

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Correct. Along with the gasoline business, real estate (legit), and any other type of commodity that makes $$$. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

I fell off a bar stool blackout drunk during a Matamores spring break and was actually kicked out of the bar. Bordertown Mexico was too classy for me, in my hey day. 

Another way us Gen X-ers have ruined the world that our Gen Z-er's are inheriting; no more American privilege to just be able to go cheaply crap all over the country across the border and wantonly act like animals as a birth right.

Yea the Blackcat tried to kick me out once because there was a girl that took her shit off and was dancing around a pole in her bra so equal rights and all I took my shit off and danced around the pole and showed my licking my own nipple skills..  Don’t ask I was young and drunk, then they figured out we were half the people in the bar and they let it slide.  Lol. 

1 minute ago, Hook1997 said:

Yea the Blackcat tried to kick me out once because there was a girl that took her shit off and was dancing around a pole in her bra so equal rights and all I took my shit off and danced around the pole and showed my licking my own nipple skills..  Don’t ask I was young and drunk, then they figured out we were half the people in the bar and they let it slide.  Lol. 

That’s eerily similar to a night I had in Maddens about 2 years ago.   

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’ve seen some videos on tiktok. If it’s the correct incident, it looked like less of a kidnapping and more of loading dead/dying people into the back of a truck. I don’t know what transpired beforehand since the vid is just the aftermath, but the van was laced up with bullets.

weird that the article wouldn't mention this, unless they just don't have a confirmation yet