4 US Citizens Kidnapped in Matamoros

Incredulity

I’m sure in a few minutes the surlyites who go down to Mexico a lot and have never had an issue will be here quoting crime statistics of Chicago. 

The unfortunate reality is that the new cartels in charge do not care about a code of conduct wrt civilians, like the old cartels. The country is a mess and simply isn’t safe. I’ve traveled down there for decades, and all of my Mexico friends have become worried. If they’re worried, screw it. Go elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

Just putting this here because you can’t have a thread about Matamoros without talking about the night they took Mark Kilroy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Mark_Kilroy

https://www.texasmonthly.com/true-crime/the-work-of-the-devil/

Was there that night. They tried to snatch my best buddy from hs that very night. He came running up to me and my future wife in that border plaza and told us about it in real time. He was lucky he had three older brothers because he was able to fight his way out of getting thrown in the back of that truck. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Obviously, it sucks for Mexico, but it really is a national security issue for the United States at this point.  I definitely favor doing all we can to move manufacturing from China to Mexico so we can try to stabilize Mexico while reducing our dependence on a hostile superpower rival who has to ship everything across the Pacific.  Win win.  

Try convincing companies to move manufacturing to an unstable area. Security pretty much has to come first.

7 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Mexico has had the highest murder rate in the world for years now (I guess you can throw in caveats about the reliability of statistics in some parts of the world, but I would guess it’s accurate).

Your guess would be wrong, but ok. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Try convincing companies to move manufacturing to an unstable area. Security pretty much has to come first.

Tons of American cars are already being manufactured in Mexico. Japanese and German cars too. Ford E-Mustang, Chevy crew cab Silverados, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Honda… the list goes on.  Every major brand makes cars in Mexico. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Mexico has had the highest murder rate in the world for years now (I guess you can throw in caveats about the reliability of statistics in some parts of the world, but I would guess it’s accurate).  Ukraine is probably the only country where it’s currently more likely for someone minding their own business to catch a bullet.  There were years when Mexico was statistically more dangerous than Iraq while we still had troops in Iraq fighting insurgencies.  

Obviously, it sucks for Mexico, but it really is a national security issue for the United States at this point.  It’s also what drives the huge numbers of illegal immigration from Mexico and Central America to the USA. Nobody risks their lives to cross the border from the Netherlands to Germany.  They do it here because it’s a choice between the most prosperous country and a really messed up country.

I definitely favor doing all we can to move manufacturing from China to Mexico so we can try to stabilize Mexico while reducing our dependence on a hostile superpower rival who has to ship everything across the Pacific.  Win win.  

Clearing out the cartels would be necessary as part of that plan, too.  We don’t get what we need or improve the situation if we still have cartels running everything and now fighting over who has control of the manufacturing, too.  It’s going to take a combination of US military, big business foreign investors, and the Mexican government (which basically means they’ll have to be convinced they make more siding with the legit businesses than the cartels) all clearing out the cartels and then making sure they stay down so other, less chaotic paths to prosperity can arise besides the drug game. 

do you have any sources for any of this fearmongering?

3 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

do you have any sources for any of this fearmongering?

LMGTFY - https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/murder-rate-by-country

image.png.602a7aa37865092082f3518e561c3c16.png

Mexico nowhere to be found, but South America dominates the list.  That's where most of the illegal immigration into the US is actually coming from.  Now I know nothing of how much this is because of Mexican drug cartels. 

Edit:

Looks like Mexico is #13 on the list with a rate of 29.07.  Almost half the rate of El Salvador

image.thumb.png.74af65456c2803618c4d0d743e954167.png

Edited by JesusSweatDuck

4 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

LMGTFY - https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/murder-rate-by-country

Mexico nowhere to be found, but South America dominates the list.  That's where most of the illegal immigration into the US is actually coming from.  Now I know nothing of how much this is because of Mexican drug cartels. 

Edit:

Looks like Mexico is #13 on the list with a rate of 29.07.  Almost half the rate of El Salvador

I wouldn't have guessed St. Kitts, the Grenadines and Belize.

I don't believe Lesotho is a country. It is made up.

How did Haiti not make the list?

You have to know it’s undercounted in Mexico. But it’s also undercounted in all the other countries on that list. I suppose if you squint it could probably crack the top 10 sometimes. “Highest murder rate in the world for years” is pretty outlandish though. It’s on average more dangerous than America for sure. It’s just always funny on these threads to hear people that never go or have never been talk about how you’ll die if you go and how it’s just some war torn hellscape everywhere. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I wouldn't have guessed St. Kitts, the Grenadines and Belize.

I don't believe Lesotho is a country. It is made up.

How did Haiti not make the list?

No one reports shit in Haiti. You are kidnapped and you disappear. What is interesting is El Salvador being #1. According to their President it has dropped quite a bit. Not everyone agrees with his tactics, but you don't have bodies on the streets anymore. Grew up there and stay in touch with friends from all walks of the social spectrum. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

You have to know it’s undercounted in Mexico. But it’s also undercounted in all the other countries on that list. I suppose if you squint it could probably crack the top 10 sometimes. “Highest murder rate in the world for years” is pretty outlandish though. It’s on average more dangerous than America for sure. It’s just always funny on these threads to hear people that never go or have never been talk about how you’ll die if you go and how it’s just some war torn hellscape everywhere. 

I still go there but not as much as I used to go. Back in the day we would go whitewing hunting there. That isn't possible now. Lake Guerrero had great bass fishing, but I'd probably skip that now. I used to rent a car in Cancun and drive all over southern Mexico, but I pretty much stay at the resort now.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Was there that night. They tried to snatch my best buddy from hs that very night. He came running up to me and my future wife in that border plaza and told us about it in real time. He was lucky he had three older brothers because he was able to fight his way out of getting thrown in the back of that truck. 

Party like it's 1989

I was there too and guys tried to tackle me a couple blocks from the border and drag me off into the street but I had friends nearby and was not that drunk that night.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

No one reports shit in Haiti. You are kidnapped and you disappear. What is interesting is El Salvador being #1. According to their President it has dropped quite a bit. Not everyone agrees with his tactics, but you don't have bodies on the streets anymore. Grew up there and stay in touch with friends from all walks of the social spectrum. 

I haven't really followed it but did hear something last week about them building a gigantic prison and throwing something like 60,000 people in there, which just sounds insane, both that they felt they needed to do that and simply the sheer number of people confined in one place. If you've got more info, I'd be interested in hearing it.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Edit:

Looks like I'm cancelling my Bahamas trip as it's too risky.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I haven't really followed it but did hear something last week about them building a gigantic prison and throwing something like 60,000 people in there, which just sounds insane, both that they felt they needed to do that and simply the sheer number of people confined in one place. If you've got more info, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Joey, you ever... been to an El Salvadorian prison?

Edited by ztejas
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Just putting this here because you can’t have a thread about Matamoros without talking about the night they took Mark Kilroy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Mark_Kilroy

https://www.texasmonthly.com/true-crime/the-work-of-the-devil/

That happened during my time, but I missed some of the deets there.  Jesucristo.

• Rage+1 1

I’ve been all over Mexico as well in buses and cars. I never felt unsafe. There was the one time we were driving back from Bustamante that the local cops pulled us over and emptied our suitcases on the side of the road. The didn’t find anything so they just drove off. But I wouldn’t drive across the border nor would I catch a bus in Nuevo Laredo and go to Pacific coast. I’d probably still go to a resort in Cabo or Playa, but i wouldn’t venture too far off the beaten path anymore. It’s a shame though, because off the beaten path Mexico kicks ass!!! The people are unbelievably friendly and helpful and the food is amazing and different from town to town.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Yep, most with life without parole. They are placing them into 100 person cells about 2 hours from the Capitol. There are some videos out there of the first batch being taken in. 

The issue is how do you deal with the little cartel/mara members. Lock them up for life? 

I expect a prison riot and lots of dead within a year. The Maras do not like each other and this will be another of the President's shit shows (See bitcoin Beach). 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m not a mafia buff at all but I would assume the cartels are considerably larger in scale?    Slightly browner, but think the Italians have battled racism forever as well? 

Hey! I don't want any of you Italians
drinking out of my water bottle!
Damn Wops.

11 minutes ago, Hate said:

I’ve been all over Mexico as well in buses and cars. I never felt unsafe. There was the one time we were driving back from Bustamante that the local cops pulled us over and emptied our suitcases on the side of the road. The didn’t find anything so they just drove off. But I wouldn’t drive across the border nor would I catch a bus in Nuevo Laredo and go to Pacific coast. I’d probably still go to a resort in Cabo or Playa, but i wouldn’t venture too far off the beaten path anymore. It’s a shame though, because off the beaten path Mexico kicks ass!!! The people are unbelievably friendly and helpful and the food is amazing and different from town to town.

Grabbing a bus in NL and heading to the pacific coast used to be damn fun 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bolverk said:

https://ticotimes.net/2023/02/26/first-inmates-transferred-to-el-salvadors-new-terrorist-confinement-center

11 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yep, most with life without parole. They are placing them into 100 person cells about 2 hours from the Capitol. There are some videos out there of the first batch being taken in. 

The issue is how do you deal with the little cartel/mara members. Lock them up for life? 

I expect a prison riot and lots of dead within a year. The Maras do not like each other and this will be another of the President's shit shows (See bitcoin Beach). 

Yup. This will not end well.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’m sure there are parts of Mexico that are safer than parts of the US but so what. I don’t go to those US places either. I have no desire to go anywhere in Mexico even the resort towns. 

What else are scared of?

Mexico is magic. Don’t be such a pussy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, justhookit said:

I'm trying to imagine 150 people living in my little house. Holy shit.

Each one has 32 cells of about 100 square meters (1,075 square feet), designed to hold “more than 100” inmates, according to Public Works Minister Romeo Rodriguez. 

Each cell has only two sinks and two toilets. There are only 80 metal bunks for every 100 prisoners, and rights groups and observers have criticised the construction as a violation of incarceration standards.

/end thread derail

3 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Yeah my money is on the fact that this wasnt completely random

growing up in Greenspoint, when we had drive bys on our cul de sac, the gangs/drug dealers only shot up the houses of those involved in gans/drugs.

meh

Says the guy whose family wasn't dealing drugs.

21 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

What else are scared of?

Mexico is magic. Don’t be such a pussy.

What kind of magic are we talking about?

Country Summary: Violent crime – such as homicide, kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery – is widespread and common in Mexico. The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in many areas of Mexico, as travel by U.S. government employees to certain areas is prohibited or restricted. In many states, local emergency services are limited outside the state capital or major cities.

U.S. citizens are advised to adhere to restrictions on U.S. government employee travel. State-specific restrictions are included in the individual state advisories below. U.S. government employees may not travel between cities after dark, may not hail taxis on the street, and must rely on dispatched vehicles, including app-based services like Uber, and regulated taxi stands. U.S. government employees should avoid traveling alone, especially in remote areas. U.S. government employees may not drive from the U.S.-Mexico border to or from the interior parts of Mexico, except daytime travel within Baja California and between Nogales and Hermosillo on Mexican Federal Highway 15D, and between Nuevo Laredo and Monterrey on Highway 85D.

Do Not Travel To:

Reconsider Travel To:

Exercise Increased Caution When Traveling To:

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Lol. I actually pay the $2.50 or whatever to walk across the bridge in progreso a couple times a year. Its safer than a lot of places in America.

But it’s pretty common knowledge that you stay the fuck out of Matamoros if you can. I haven’t been there in 10 years probably. 

I was there in November, crossed over and had a day trip with the family. Felt safe and didn't think we'd be in danger. Ate lonches there,  they are the best. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Country Summary: Violent crime – such as homicide, kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery – is widespread and common in Mexico. The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in many areas of Mexico, as travel by U.S. government employees to certain areas is prohibited or restricted. In many states, local emergency services are limited outside the state capital or major cities.

U.S. citizens are advised to adhere to restrictions on U.S. government employee travel. State-specific restrictions are included in the individual state advisories below. U.S. government employees may not travel between cities after dark, may not hail taxis on the street, and must rely on dispatched vehicles, including app-based services like Uber, and regulated taxi stands. U.S. government employees should avoid traveling alone, especially in remote areas. U.S. government employees may not drive from the U.S.-Mexico border to or from the interior parts of Mexico, except daytime travel within Baja California and between Nogales and Hermosillo on Mexican Federal Highway 15D, and between Nuevo Laredo and Monterrey on Highway 85D.

Do Not Travel To:

Reconsider Travel To:

Wow I didn’t know all that. I must’ve gotten kidnapped and murdered when I was in Reynosa last year and didn’t even realize it. Thank you for this.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Do Not Travel To:

Reconsider Travel To:

meh. I have driven more than 15k miles across 25 Mexican states in the last 4 years and the only time I felt unsafe was in Oaxaca when a fat old drunk Mexican tried to climb on top of my Jeep so his friend could take a pic and he cracked the corner of the fiberglass. I thought the roof was gonna collapse on us.

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

My college years were early to mid 90’s….going across and partying down there was at least a monthly thing. Chicks from sa / hou / Dallas loved it. Easy peasy 

all you can drink warehouses, ten tacos for $2, $1 beers. Fun times 

That's my era, too.  And we'd go down to Nuevo Laredo and Acuna all the time.  But Matamoros was always off-limits after Mark Kilroy got killed.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

That's my era, too.  And we'd go down to Nuevo Laredo and Acuna all the time.  But Matamoros was always off-limits after Mark Kilroy got killed.

If you ever go back in time to give college ghost advice, tell him to never buy blow in acuna. It’s not blow 

15 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Wow I didn’t know all that. I must’ve gotten kidnapped and murdered when I was in Reynosa last year and didn’t even realize it. Thank you for this.

As 3 putt would say:

YARN | Can I have your watch When you are dead | Three Amigos (1986) |  Video gifs by quotes | d3730475 | 紗

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Are you in these places visiting family or are you just hanging out in Reynoasa like a dumbass?

Lesotho, a high-altitude, landlocked kingdom encircled by South Africa, is crisscrossed by a network of rivers and mountain ranges including the 3,482m-high peak of Thabana Ntlenyana. On the Thaba Bosiu plateau, near Lesotho's capital, Maseru, are ruins dating from the 19th-century reign of King Moshoeshoe I. Thaba Bosiu overlooks iconic Mount Qiloane, an enduring symbol of the nation’s Basotho people.

King Mo-shoe-shoe Jordan 1 is also made up.

Went to Matamoros my freshman year in college... since we were all underage, my buddy decided he wanted to buy a bottle of cheap Oso Negro Vodka to bring back to Padre... so, he buys a Mexican blanket, rolls up the bottle in the blanket and puts the blanket around his neck... kind of like a scarf or a trashy beach python... and just strolls back across the border in the US without a second look.  Those were the days...

• Haha 1