4 US Citizens Kidnapped in Matamoros

Incredulity

10 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

If you ever go back in time to give college ghost advice, tell him to never buy blow in acuna. It’s not blow 

I remember hopping into a car with two Mexican dudes and a friend to score some blow in Matamoras spring break in the late 90s.  It occurred to be at some point when we were in some other dude's house in Matamoras that this was probably not the best idea but I was drunk as hell and the blow was pretty damn good.  The two Mexican dudes came back to SPI with us and we were still going at dawn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Basil said:

I remember hopping into a car with two Mexican dudes and a friend to score some blow in Matamoras spring break in the late 90s.  It occurred to be at some point when we were in some other dude's house in Matamoras that this was probably not the best idea but I was drunk as hell and the blow was pretty damn good.  The two Mexican dudes came back to SPI with us and we were still going at dawn.

acuna bartenders were a one stop shop. The chicks wanted blow, she was hot and blonde 

Those that have visited Mexico and are cavalier about the dangers are experiencing MacCurdy’s remote miss response as described in The Structure of Morale.  Because they were not victims of crime, they feel an invincibility and a euphoria about escaping unharmed. That cause them to mock others who express concern over the danger. Sick bastards. 

There was also some guy online, maybe loony, who asserts that the new Mexican cartels have slowly wiped out American gangs across the country and that their brand of violence will be way worse than the US has even seen. Who knows. Probably bs.   

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Basil said:

We once had 14 people in a cab in Matamoras, pretty sure 4 people atleast were in the trunk.  Also a Jim Rome look alike tried telling me US girls party over here while walking to the border and I followed him to some apartment complex close to the border, there were no girls and he’s like I’ll suck you dick for $20, I went to the border immediately without the blowjob.  Damn I was young and dumb and no clue why I was alone in Mexico at 4 am.  Also in tijuana the bathroom guy never didn’t have someone doing Coke when I went to pee. 

Edited by Hook1997
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Are you in these places visiting family or are you just hanging out in Reynoasa like a dumbass?

Reynosa was a shopping trip with some family and the traffic alone that day made me want to kill myself. Never really felt unsafe but I was definitely on alert. There’s cities worth visiting in Mexico and that just isn’t one of them, regardless of what the state dept says.

30 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

meh. I have driven more than 15k miles across 25 Mexican states in the last 4 years and the only time I felt unsafe was in Oaxaca when a fat old drunk Mexican tried to climb on top of my Jeep so his friend could take a pic and he cracked the corner of the fiberglass. I thought the roof was gonna collapse on us.

I'm not saying people don't go have nice experiences across Mexico. Just that I think we can all agree it isn't very safe in general and there isn't really any reason to cross the Texas border unless it's for work or family. 

Tijuana, Cabo, DF, Yucatan... yeah, all nice places worth visiting. Fucking Reynosa and Matamoros? Why the hell does anyone need to spend time in those places.

9 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

We once had 14 people in a cab in Matamoras, pretty sure 4 people atleast were in the trunk.  Also a Jim Rome look alike tried telling me US girls party over here while walking to the border and I followed him to some apartment complex close to the border, there were no girls and he’s like I’ll suck you dick for $20, I went to the border immediately without the blowjob.  Damn I was young and dumb and no clue why I was alone in Mexico at 4 am.  Also in tijuana the bathroom guy never didn’t have someone doing Coke when I went to pee. 

do you tip on a $20 blow job ?

Crossed several times into Matamoros in the early to mid 80's on Spring Break- Always went to Blanca White's (is that place still there?)-  I remember doing shots in a barber chair.... I remember always walking back across the bridge with a case of baby coronas or coronitos I bought for cheap...My brother and I went back there on New Year's Eve in the early 90's when we were on a family trip to South Padre and we were dining on the patio of some restaurant when multiple shots were fired into the air from some guys riding around in a convertible - we got the hell out of there and Ive never been back...

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Mexico has had the highest murder rate in the world for years now (I guess you can throw in caveats about the reliability of statistics in some parts of the world, but I would guess it’s accurate).  Ukraine is probably the only country where it’s currently more likely for someone minding their own business to catch a bullet.  There were years when Mexico was statistically more dangerous than Iraq while we still had troops in Iraq fighting insurgencies.  

Obviously, it sucks for Mexico, but it really is a national security issue for the United States at this point.  It’s also what drives the huge numbers of illegal immigration from Mexico and Central America to the USA. Nobody risks their lives to cross the border from the Netherlands to Germany.  They do it here because it’s a choice between the most prosperous country and a really messed up country.

I definitely favor doing all we can to move manufacturing from China to Mexico so we can try to stabilize Mexico while reducing our dependence on a hostile superpower rival who has to ship everything across the Pacific.  Win win.  

Clearing out the cartels would be necessary as part of that plan, too.  We don’t get what we need or improve the situation if we still have cartels running everything and now fighting over who has control of the manufacturing, too.  It’s going to take a combination of US military, big business foreign investors, and the Mexican government (which basically means they’ll have to be convinced they make more siding with the legit businesses than the cartels) all clearing out the cartels and then making sure they stay down so other, less chaotic paths to prosperity can arise besides the drug game. 

I love how this post just builds on its own wrongness. Bravo.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

meh. I have driven more than 15k miles across 25 Mexican states in the last 4 years and the only time I felt unsafe was in Oaxaca when a fat old drunk Mexican tried to climb on top of my Jeep so his friend could take a pic and he cracked the corner of the fiberglass. I thought the roof was gonna collapse on us.

Did he have any daughters? Asking for Vic. 

I'm starting to think maybe the felony scheduling of a buncha drugs is having a negative effect on Mexico AND the United States?  Just a hunch.  

I'm also really proud of Surly.  This could have easily devolved into a "Secure the Border (checks notes, they went the other way), Never Mind!" discussion.  But instead, it's a proper game of one-ups-manship on underage drinking, drug buys, blowjobs, and chicken-filled bus rides.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

do you tip on a $20 blow job ?

You think I’m tipping past the asking price to Jim Rome?  No….  Lol.  There was no BJ I might have got one when I got back to my SPI hotel though.  It’s 50/50 if that happened I don’t remember but it’s definitely possible.  

29 minutes ago, JCHIL said:

I remember doing shots in a barber chair....

That was the $20 all you can drink place, well in the 90’s you might have gotten it for $10.  I can’t remember the name though. 

5 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

You think I’m tipping past the asking price to Jim Rome?  No….  Lol.  There was no BJ I might have got one when I got back to my SPI hotel though.  It’s 50/50 if that happened I don’t remember but it’s definitely possible.  

That was the $20 all you can drink place, well in the 90’s you might have gotten it for $10.  I can’t remember the name though. 

gringos paid $20, locals paid $10 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JCHIL said:

just plucked this photo randomly off the inter webs. This is the place as I remember it and that photo looks to be from my time period…damn I’m old …
771DBD6A-F7BF-426D-801B-8140F67C6903.thumb.jpeg.68ad7672aab2588366024c948cd09122.jpeg

Is that the place with the pet monkey? It looks vaguely familiar.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Those that have visited Mexico and are cavalier about the dangers are experiencing MacCurdy’s remote miss response as described in The Structure of Morale.  Because they were not victims of crime, they feel an invincibility and a euphoria about escaping unharmed. That cause them to mock others who express concern over the danger. Sick bastards. 

There was also some guy online, maybe loony, who asserts that the new Mexican cartels have slowly wiped out American gangs across the country and that their brand of violence will be way worse than the US has even seen. Who knows. Probably bs.   

cartels have been running Texas for a long time. Cartel hits in Houston are ‘common’ 

Does anyone have any spring stories of going to Matamoros?

21 minutes ago, JCHIL said:

just plucked this photo randomly off the inter webs. This is the place as I remember it and that photo looks to be from my time period…damn I’m old …
771DBD6A-F7BF-426D-801B-8140F67C6903.thumb.jpeg.68ad7672aab2588366024c948cd09122.jpeg

x,dos,tres,uno,cinco,quatro

• Hook 'Em 1

I just got off a floating Golden Corral (AKA a cruise ship) that docked in Mazatlan, Sinaloa against our state department's wishes.  We took a bus tour into the Sierra Madre and visited a couple old villages that were fucking ancient, and that was cool.  All went well and I never felt unsafe.

But the days at sea with all the fucking Americans?  Holy fuck, I would have happily offered up a kidney to have been kidnapped from the boat.  Maybe even two kidneys.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I'm not saying people don't go have nice experiences across Mexico. Just that I think we can all agree it isn't very safe in general and there isn't really any reason to cross the Texas border unless it's for work or family. 

Tijuana, Cabo, DF, Yucatan... yeah, all nice places worth visiting. Fucking Reynosa and Matamoros? Why the hell does anyone need to spend time in those places.

Old people cross over there for cheap medication. Very stupid old people.

There are plenty of safe places to cross on the Texas border; Matamoros and Nuevo Laredo are the two you avoid like the plague. Most people driving to the interior cross at Colombia and Eagle Pass.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

What kind of magic are we talking about?

Country Summary: Violent crime – such as homicide, kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery – is widespread and common in Mexico. The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in many areas of Mexico, as travel by U.S. government employees to certain areas is prohibited or restricted. In many states, local emergency services are limited outside the state capital or major cities.

U.S. citizens are advised to adhere to restrictions on U.S. government employee travel. State-specific restrictions are included in the individual state advisories below. U.S. government employees may not travel between cities after dark, may not hail taxis on the street, and must rely on dispatched vehicles, including app-based services like Uber, and regulated taxi stands. U.S. government employees should avoid traveling alone, especially in remote areas. U.S. government employees may not drive from the U.S.-Mexico border to or from the interior parts of Mexico, except daytime travel within Baja California and between Nogales and Hermosillo on Mexican Federal Highway 15D, and between Nuevo Laredo and Monterrey on Highway 85D.

Do Not Travel To:

Reconsider Travel To:

Exercise Increased Caution When Traveling To:

they say "increased caution" for basically every country

44 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I'm starting to think maybe the felony scheduling of a buncha drugs is having a negative effect on Mexico AND the United States?  Just a hunch.  

Mexico is not some 3rd world, anything goes, free-for-all anarchy.  You want pain meds? You need a prescription from a doctor. Can you bribe a doctor? Sure. You can also bribe a doctor in the US.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Sounds like someone who hasn’t spent a lot of time in Baltimore 

10 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I just got off a floating Golden Corral (AKA a cruise ship) that docked in Mazatlan, Sinaloa against our state department's wishes.  We took a bus tour into the Sierra Madre and visited a couple old villages that were fucking ancient, and that was cool.  All went well and I never felt unsafe.

But the days at sea with all the fucking Americans?  Holy fuck, I would have happily offered up a kidney to have been kidnapped from the boat.  Maybe even two kidneys.

Mazatlan is safer than Houston. There's a huge US/Canuck ex-pat community there.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Mexico is not some 3rd world, anything goes, free-for-all anarchy.  You want pain meds? You need a prescription from a doctor. Can you bribe a doctor? Sure. You can also bribe a doctor in the US.

i wasn't talking about the Rx ones.  My mom and her family have been traveling into Mexico for cheaper meds since they moved from there in the 1940's to become U.S. Citizens.  I meant, the felony scheduling on our side of the really fun shit that we sometimes used to get from Mexico.    But yes, to your point, there is a structure of pharmacy safety and oversight there despite what some Texans think.  Her family no longer travels into border towns anymore though, a combo of old age, long waits, and fear.  We all still fly into the interior now and again but usually under protection of somebody who knows a guy or whatever.  

Edited by YGIFS

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

What kind of magic are we talking about?

Country Summary: Violent crime – such as homicide, kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery – is widespread and common in Mexico. The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in many areas of Mexico, as travel by U.S. government employees to certain areas is prohibited or restricted. In many states, local emergency services are limited outside the state capital or major cities.

U.S. citizens are advised to adhere to restrictions on U.S. government employee travel. State-specific restrictions are included in the individual state advisories below. U.S. government employees may not travel between cities after dark, may not hail taxis on the street, and must rely on dispatched vehicles, including app-based services like Uber, and regulated taxi stands. U.S. government employees should avoid traveling alone, especially in remote areas. U.S. government employees may not drive from the U.S.-Mexico border to or from the interior parts of Mexico, except daytime travel within Baja California and between Nogales and Hermosillo on Mexican Federal Highway 15D, and between Nuevo Laredo and Monterrey on Highway 85D.

Do Not Travel To:

Reconsider Travel To:

Exercise Increased Caution When Traveling To:

Your lily white ass should probably stay in Highland Park where you are safe. 

2 hours ago, justhookit said:

legit holy shit 😳

Puerta Vallarta was lovely a year ago...but apparently all the beach 'vendors' are cartel employees, selling their cheapass wares are one of the largest money laundering methods, and you can definitely get a variety of more discrete party favors if you ask. 

actually... there are so many of those street vendor/kiosks as well, all with the exact same stuff, those are surely part of it as well 🤔

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

they say "increased caution" for basically every country

No they don't. That part of Mexico, at a level 4 is on par with some fucked up places. I grew up in embassies. My teams and partners listen and watch their warnings. This is not "You might get pick pocketed in downtown Rome." For anyone doing business overseas, check out OSAC. 

Like @Brisketexan said, we get a list of safe places. Well I was a dumbass kid and assumed the embassy was infiltrated so those are the places that would get hit. That is how the Marines were killed in El Salvador. And I had a few fun moments being a dumbass. 

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

No they don't. That part of Mexico, at a level 4 is on par with some fucked up places. I grew up in embassies. My teams and partners listen and watch their warnings. This is not "You might get pick pocketed in downtown Rome." For anyone doing business overseas, check out OSAC. 

Like @Brisketexan said, we get a list of safe places. Well I was a dumbass kid and assumed the embassy was infiltrated so those are the places that would get hit. That is how the Marines were killed in El Salvador. And I had a few fun moments being a dumbass. 

how about you learn the difference between "increased caution" and "do not travel"

29 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Old people cross over there for cheap medication. Very stupid old people.

There are plenty of safe places to cross on the Texas border; Matamoros and Nuevo Laredo are the two you avoid like the plague. Most people driving to the interior cross at Colombia and Eagle Pass.

Do they have full banjercitos offices at those places? We've always crossed at Laredo and have just gotten our driving permits after crossing the last couple times. Do they cancel them 24 hours a day there as well?

7 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Just using something everyone can relate to. We have a shitload of Houstonites around here that think Houston is fantastic and a great place to live.

Generally speaking, it is.  Would you say that Lubbock is a dangerous place to live?  Most of us wouldn't (unless we're talking about the risk of Raider rash).  Yet it's right there with Houston on the overall violent crime rate.  Bottom line, Houston....and Lubbock, and most other places in the top 50 list of dangerous cities in the US are pretty safe if you exclude people who are already involved in criminal activity.  Drug dealers/cartels tend to shoot other drug dealers/cartel members.  Which is no fun day for those guys, but in the US, that generally doesn't translate to a materially greater risk to the rest of the ordinary folks out there.  

Mexico's problem is that the criminal activity has permeated every aspect of daily life.  That's a different -- and big -- problem.

My brother in law moved to Acuna and knocked up his dad's new wife's daughter (so his step sister) and now commutes back and forth between San Antonio where he works in construction and Acuna every weekend....finish high school kids.

Also just play it safe in Mexico and you'll have a great time. How many people do you know that have been to Mexico and how many people do you know that have been murdered on those trips to Mexico?

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Do they have full banjercitos offices at those places? We've always crossed at Laredo and have just gotten our driving permits after crossing the last couple times. Do they cancel them 24 hours a day there as well?

Colombia has a Banjercito, but not 24 hours. Opens at 8am.

The one for Eagle Pass is a few miles down the road, I think it has similar hours (I never cross there).

Crossing at Laredo is fucking dangerous. Cartel fuckers will wait til you cross the bridge towards the Banjercito, block you in with multiple cars, then take your cash and anything else they want. It's got so bad, the last few years Nuevo Laredo local policia have been offering an escort service (for tips) to the nearest cuota.

Edited by rage-a-holic