4 US Citizens Kidnapped in Matamoros

Incredulity

Yea when I was driving from Dallas to monterrey a couple times a month about a decade ago we would wait for a bunch of cars to cross together, pay the cops to lead and the rule was fuck all traffic lights until you get to the toll road. The bodies hanging off the bridge were pretty fucking gnarly but that was all I ever saw crossing there. Mexico is fun as hell and yea shit goes down but in 3 years living there I never had any issue other than having to give the damn cops 50 pesos or so every now and then. 

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

I'm starting to think maybe the felony scheduling of a buncha drugs is having a negative effect on Mexico AND the United States?  Just a hunch.  

I'm also really proud of Surly.  This could have easily devolved into a "Secure the Border (checks notes, they went the other way), Never Mind!" discussion.  But instead, it's a proper game of one-ups-manship on underage drinking, drug buys, blowjobs, and chicken-filled bus rides.  

Well, the chicken bus ride I took from Monterrey to Nuevo Laredo in 1960 didn’t actually have any chickens on it, so there’s that. 
However there were two goats along for the ride, but at least they got off in Sabinas Hidalgo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Just now, Armybrat said:

Well, the chicken bus ride I took from Monterrey to Nuevo Laredo in 1960 didn’t actually have any chickens on it, so there’s that. 
However there were two goats along for the ride, but at least they got off in Sabinas Hidalgo.

And the ranchero next to you said, "Hey gringo, what say when the bus slows down and we fuck one of them goats?"

And brat replied, "Nah man, let's stop the bus and fuck 'em both."  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

21 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

My brother in law moved to Acuna and knocked up his dad's new wife's daughter (so his step sister) and now commutes back and forth between San Antonio where he works in construction and Acuna every weekend....finish high school kids.

Also just play it safe in Mexico and you'll have a great time. How many people do you know that have been to Mexico and how many of people do you know that have been murdered on those trips to Mexico?

was his step sister stuck in. Washing machine ?

• Haha 9

Just now, Walte464 said:

Yeah, i haven’t gone to Matamoros in 25 years but go to progresos monthly. There’s even a fear of going to all the new restaurants on the Brownsville side of the bridge that Elon just donated to get built.

the food is too brittle

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

43 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

My brother in law moved to Acuna and knocked up his dad's new wife's daughter (so his step sister) and now commutes back and forth between San Antonio where he works in construction and Acuna every weekend....finish high school kids.

Also just play it safe in Mexico and you'll have a great time. How many people do you know that have been to Mexico and how many of people do you know that have been murdered on those trips to Mexico?

I thought that shit just happened in Arkansas, Alabama and Kentucky.

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Fair enough. Here are the level 4 countries. 

Screenshot_20230306_180142_Chrome.thumb.jpg.652b5b26b6f680783e8d13a32c90d2d8.jpg

Screenshot_20230306_180757_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9737760c1df4991c30e22a18d26f854e.jpg

Not great company to keep. 

Yeah, not any place I want to go. Something no one says - I hear North Korea is lovely this time of year. If you have the means, I highly recommend it.

Fuck it’s been a few years since I’ve been to Maddens, I need to fix that.  I’m more a Josie’s guy though.  
In my experience you're not missing much. But every once a while Madden's is worth it, as far as shit shows go.
My brother met his wife at Josie's on a wild night- I might have had to fetch his truck from Boggie the next day. He's an Aggy and out kicked his coverage with a Sandcrab so Redneck Riviera dreams do come true.

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m sure in a few minutes the surlyites who go down to Mexico a lot and have never had an issue will be here quoting crime statistics of Chicago. 

The unfortunate reality is that the new cartels in charge do not care about a code of conduct wrt civilians, like the old cartels. The country is a mess and simply isn’t safe. I’ve traveled down there for decades, and all of my Mexico friends have become worried. If they’re worried, screw it. Go elsewhere. 

4 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Mexico has had the highest murder rate in the world for years now (I guess you can throw in caveats about the reliability of statistics in some parts of the world, but I would guess it’s accurate).  Ukraine is probably the only country where it’s currently more likely for someone minding their own business to catch a bullet.  There were years when Mexico was statistically more dangerous than Iraq while we still had troops in Iraq fighting insurgencies.  

6 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

It’s certainly unfortunate but is this all that big of a surprise? With the state of things in Mexico it’d be almost more shocking if 4 US citizens in a white minivan *werent* kidnapped for ransom by a cartel after crossing the border 

Well, look a the big brains of Brad, Chad, and Bryan.  Please by all means continue to inform us of "the state of things" in Mexico from your recliner in Pflugerville.  I think Pig takes the cake of generalizations on this one, JFC.  

By all means, leave out that here in our own country, 800k go missing each year, that's 2500 a day.  BUT BUT BUT ROLL only 4000 of their dead bodies are found each year.  Do you know how many violent abductions there are of Americans in Mexico each year? 350+ (another 300 drown or croak of old age) And don't give me that underreported shit.  Maybe Mexico underreports their own but God forbid they underreport the death or abduction of Tom Dick and Jane Smith.  Not happening because see this thread.      

I'd bet that these people in the van were buying prescription pills in bulk and got caught up between two groups, rival sellers.   I've said it before.  Don't start none won't be none. Of those 300+ American abductions mentioned most were primarily due to somehow being near or around Cartel activity.   Let me connect the dots.  While you make think Cartel activity is everywhere it is not.   It is concentrated on the border, and in parts of Mexico. While it is the sensationalized and easy story we like to read about our neighbors to the south it is as apparent/prevalent to the average citizen their, in most cities, as the crimes/criminals in your local bad part of town.      

I'm not here to argue Mexico is safe or that the U.S. is equally unsafe only that your, "The Horror" of what happened in this incident is a typical Surly overreaction and those shitting on that beautiful country are worthy of a huge eye-roll and a giant go fuck yourself. And those of you who have "Mexico friends" and talk about Cartel shit mainly only do so when you bring it up and it's merely tolerated.  At least to your face.  Yes, it is news BUT the average Mexican is about as concerned about the cartels in their day-to-day lives as much as you are concerned about the 80,000 missing persons or 18000 murders, and or the 400+ abductions in this country each year, so not much. It is their fact of life that they house the cartels, as much as it is our fact of life that we house the crackheads and homeless they supply in this country.  Most people there, like here, are worried about putting food on the table and also what is happening with the fucking Kardashians. 

I know some of you are still thinking IF ONLY Mexico was a country of laws like we are here in MURICA! Get over yourself.  The truth is simple, economics rules the day in EVERY country.  More money means more than 200k prisoners, compared to our 2 million, would be housed and taken off the streets there.  Or maybe if they could afford more than having 1/3 our number of law enforcement. Or maybe if they didn't pay those bootlickers only 1k per month avg salary.   Maybe just maybe if their citizens had a 2nd amendment they wouldn't be such a "shitty hellhole" of a country and could finally appease your entitled asses.    

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

24 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Well, look a the big brains of Brad, Chad, and Bryan.  Please by all means continue to inform us of "the state of things" in Mexico from your recliner in Pflugerville.  I think Pig takes the cake of generalizations on this one, JFC.  

By all means, leave out that here in our own country, 800k go missing each year, that's 2500 a day.  BUT BUT BUT ROLL only 4000 of their dead bodies are found each year.  Do you know how many violent abductions there are of Americans in Mexico each year? 350+ (another 300 drown or croak of old age) And don't give me that underreported shit.  Maybe Mexico underreports their own but God forbid they underreport the death or abduction of Tom Dick and Jane Smith.  Not happening because see this thread.      

I'd bet that these people in the van were buying prescription pills in bulk and got caught up between two groups, rival sellers.   I've said it before.  Don't start none won't be none. Of those 300+ American abductions mentioned most were primarily due to somehow being near or around Cartel activity.   Let me connect the dots.  While you make think Cartel activity is everywhere it is not.   It is concentrated on the border, and in parts of Mexico. While it is the sensationalized and easy story we like to read about our neighbors to the south it is as apparent/prevalent to the average citizen their, in most cities, as the crimes/criminals in your local bad part of town.      

I'm not here to argue Mexico is safe or that the U.S. is equally unsafe only that your, "The Horror" of what happened in this incident is a typical Surly overreaction and those shitting on that beautiful country are worthy of a huge eye-roll and a giant go fuck yourself. And those of you who have "Mexico friends" and talk about Cartel shit mainly only do so when you bring it up and it's merely tolerated.  At least to your face.  Yes, it is news BUT the average Mexican is about as concerned about the cartels in their day-to-day lives as much as you are concerned about the 80,000 missing persons or 18000 murders, and or the 400+ abductions in this country each year, so not much. It is their fact of life that they house the cartels, as much as it is our fact of life that we house the crackheads and homeless they supply in this country.  Most people there, like here, are worried about putting food on the table and also what is happening with the fucking Kardashians. 

I know some of you are still thinking IF ONLY Mexico was a country of laws like we are here in MURICA! Get over yourself.  The truth is simple, economics rules the day in EVERY country.  More money means more than 200k prisoners, compared to our 2 million, would be housed and taken off the streets there.  Or maybe if they could afford more than having 1/3 our number of law enforcement. Or maybe if they didn't pay those bootlickers only 1k per month avg salary.   Maybe just maybe if their citizens had a 2nd amendment they wouldn't be such a "shitty hellhole" of a country and could finally appease your entitled asses.    

Sorry Mr. Presidente of Mexico. Your country is great, don’t mind us. We are just drunk.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Mazatlan is safer than Houston. There's a huge US/Canuck ex-pat community there.

I live in Houston and have been playing in a rec basketball league with a guy from Syria, among others. Came here a little over 10 years ago, has lost several family members to the violence there.

“but honestly it’s sketchy as fuck here too,” re: Houston. Nothing like being compared to Syria in terms of safety.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

BUT the average Mexican is about as concerned about the cartels in their day-to-day lives as much as you are concerned about the 80,000 missing persons or 18000 murders, and or the 400+ abductions in this country each year, so not much. It is their fact of life that they house the cartels, as much as it is our fact of life that we house the crackheads and homeless they supply in this country.

What an insane statement. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah, security/crime is consistently a top concern in polling of Mexican voters.

Overall I’m probably closer to the sentiment of that post than the pearl clutches but that’s just wrong.

I tend agree with RollLeft. Also, Security/crime is a top concern in polling of U.S. voters as well 

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2023/02/06/economy-remains-the-publics-top-policy-priority-covid-19-concerns-decline-again/pp_2023-02-06_political-priorities_00-01/

3 minutes ago, Hammerin Hank said:

I was in Isla Mujeres and had a long conversation with one of the hotel's higher ups. He told me he had an upscale restaurant in Cancun and showed me pictures of the place. He was very proud of it and it did look nice. He said he had to sell it because the cartel wanted too much money each month and he got tired of the pay or get killed game.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I was in Isla Mujeres and had a long conversation with one of the hotel's higher ups. He told me he had an upscale restaurant in Cancun and showed me pictures of the place. He was very proud of it and it did look nice. He said he had to sell it because the cartel wanted too much money each month and he got tired of the pay or get killed game.

Fair enough. I know Mexico is more dangerous than the U.S.

Extortion is going to happen anywhere that organized crime exists 

I worked in Colima in 2003 and drove down on a combo of main roads and back ways. Colima was Mayberry back then but in Zacatecas a bartendress [insert Warren Zevon song] hipped me to to the Death Corridor route I'd chosen so I took another through the hills. Real Los de Abajo country.

Used to bop around everywhere on bike and in car, almost certainly through/past places I shouldn't have. About the same as some murderous shitholes I'd rolled through in Birmingham etc. I have several maxims for dealing with dodgy areas. One is that you can go almost anywhere once, and another is, if you are surrounded by wolves, try to look like a turnip. Plus be really polite, in Spanish, and tip everybody. Yes you need another shoeshine and another newspaper, those guys may be halcones but it doesn't mean they'll point you out first.

I also try to be white, as in, look like the broke hippy cousin of a US Senator white.

Only went to Matamoros once. Reminded me of a fecal-overflow mud-flat from a sewage plant where i worked as a youth. Nuevo Laredo is also creepy, but I've been there a lot so I know where what's what. Very tense but some really nice moments like when I found a new library in the old train station, or had the mariachi play "El Rey" in honor of my dad after he passed.

Speaking of mariachis, I got obsessed with Acuña after watching El Mariachi, so much so that I went there with a camcorder and tracked down scenes from parts of the movie. Stayed in the same hotel where he slides down the rope. One of two places where I barricaded a door while I slept. The other was in Guadalajara.

I see it as definitely a notch up on the danger scale, but it's so interesting it's worth the risk.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 2

3 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Also just play it safe in Mexico and you'll have a great time. How many people do you know that have been to Mexico and how many people do you know that have been murdered on those trips to Mexico?

Let me guess, the step sister said, “Would you like some frijoles?” and your brother in law heard, “Would you like some free holes?”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

The 4 went to Mexico because one of them wanted a tummy tuck. They were shot at and put in the back of a truck  Whereabouts unknown but video indicated at least three were already dead or serious injured when being put in the truck.*

*Mexico: come for the tummy tuck, stay forever after the cartel beheading

https://apnews.com/article/mexico-americans-kidnapped-gulf-drug-cartel-2700637729e8f3a5065005231aa8d4d3

3 hours ago, RollLeft said:

The number appears to be more like 600k/year, https://namus.nij.ojp.gov/, but many are found relatively quickly, according to that site. NCIC shows that about 88% of those are cleared within the year. https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/2022-ncic-missing-person-and-unidentified-person-statistics.pdf/view

Even at 600k, that tots out to less than .2 people per 100 population.

Like you, I'm not here to argue one country's superiority over the other, but I think the comparison of the amount and type of violence is pretty spurious.

Americans are scared of crime and it's mostly pearl-clutching. I can't speak for the average Mexican.

I am a little shocked that all Mexican states are under travel warnings, I thought it was mostly areas that harbored plazas for drug trafficking and growing areas like Sinaloa.

Edited by TwiceHorn

20 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

The 4 went to Mexico because one of them wanted a tummy tuck. They were shot at and put in the back of a truck  Whereabouts unknown but video indicated at least three were already dead or serious injured when being put in the truck.*

*Mexico: come for the tummy tuck, stay forever after the cartel beheading

https://apnews.com/article/mexico-americans-kidnapped-gulf-drug-cartel-2700637729e8f3a5065005231aa8d4d3

Lol it says they were "seeking healthcare". I'd say that's a fairly inaccurate description. 

From witness descriptions, sounds like a vehicle rammed the van, then a second vehicle pulled up and opened fire on them. Apparently one of the victims was there to get a surgery and had at least $5000 in cash on her. So either those were some very lucky criminals or this was targeted. 

8 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Fuck it’s been a few years since I’ve been to Maddens, I need to fix that.  I’m more a Josie’s guy though.  

Yeah. I’ve spent my fair share of time  in there, too.  I’m roughly the same age as Chris and he ran with some of my people. But it’s a whole different vibe. Now there’s so many nicer places, don’t have to mess with Maddens unless it’s what your hunting.  Last time I was there it was packed (our tournament was about 33% of it) and there was a redhead playing pool barefoot all night.  Im pretty sure she would have twisted me up and spit me right out, which would have been cool. We had won big trout #1 and 2 and donated it all to who knows how many dozen buckets. Junction was always my #2.   

This Mexico shit saddens me. I lived there for a couple of years shortly after college, and what a fantastic place. It was starting to get more dangerous as I left, and we were no longer allowed to travel, advised against visiting the “clubs” ;), and generally don’t be in certain areas.  Cartel shit was all over my YouTube algo today, and I shouldn’t have but listened to a few of the vids.  They’ve got some trouble there, don’t know if it’s fixable or not.  

• Drool 1

Also just play it safe in Mexico and you'll have a great time. How many people do you know that have been to Mexico and how many people do you know that have been murdered on those trips to Mexico?

Pics?