4 US Citizens Kidnapped in Matamoros

Incredulity

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah. I’ve spent my fair share of time  in there, too.  I’m roughly the same age as Chris and he ran with some of my people. But it’s a whole different vibe. Now there’s so many nicer places, don’t have to mess with Maddens unless it’s what your hunting.  Last time I was there it was packed (our tournament was about 33% of it) and there was a redhead playing pool barefoot all night.  Im pretty sure she would have twisted me up and spit me right out, which would have been cool. We had won big trout #1 and 2 and donated it all to who knows how many dozen buckets. Junction was always my #2.   

This Mexico shit saddens me. I lived there for a couple of years shortly after college, and what a fantastic place. It was starting to get more dangerous as I left, and we were no longer allowed to travel, advised against visiting the “clubs” ;), and generally don’t be in certain areas.  Cartel shit was all over my YouTube algo today, and I shouldn’t have but listened to a few of the vids.  They’ve got some trouble there, don’t know if it’s fixable or not.  

Former Federale named Ed Calderon has a wild IG handle called edsmanifesto.  He spent years working narcotics and fighting the cartels.  His stories are sobering....

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

From witness descriptions, sounds like a vehicle rammed the van, then a second vehicle pulled up and opened fire on them. Apparently one of the victims was there to get a surgery and had at least $5000 in cash on her. So either those were some very lucky criminals or this was targeted. 

I can't believe it was for the cash if we're talking only ~$5,000. Probably made a profit after accounting for a trashed vehicle and the bullets used, but not by much. 

24 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I can't believe it was for the cash if we're talking only ~$5,000. Probably made a profit after accounting for a trashed vehicle and the bullets used, but not by much. 

Yeah it’s not something a cartel would really bother getting involved in. It was either rogue  bandits thinking they were getting a bigger pot or the victims pissed someone off. Or the surgery story is fake and they were there for something else. We’ll probably never know.

2 minutes ago, El Tri said:

El gobernador de Tamaulipas, Américo Villarreal, informó que fueron localizados los cuatro ciudadanos estadounidenses que fueron secuestrados por un grupo del crimen organizado en esa entidad; dos con vida y lamentablemente dos fallecidos. 

En la conferencia de prensa, el presidente Andrés Manuel López Obrador instruyó a la secretaria de Seguridad, Rosa Icela Rodríguez, a informar sobre este caso, quien le dijo que tenía en una llamada al gobernador de Tamaulipas. 

El poner la llamada el mandatario estatal informó que: “Hoy hace una hora nos notificaron que había indicios de haber visto a los cuatro ciudadanos norteamericanos y hace 35 minutos ya fue plenamente confirmado por la Fiscalía”.

Lee también Cártel del Golfo, detrás del secuestro de estadounidenses en Matamoros, revelan medios en EU; identifican a las víctimas

Villarreal dijo que entre los cuatro ciudadanos estadounidenses había dos fallecidos, una persona querida y la otra con vida.

“Ahorita van las ambulancias y el resto de personal de seguridad a dar el apoyo correspondiente, para el traslado y el apoyo médico que se pueda requerir”, dijo.

Ayer la Casa Blanca calificó como "inaceptable" el secuestro de cuatro estadounidenses el pasado viernes Matamoros, Tamaulipas, y aseguró que está trabajando con las autoridades mexicanas para que los responsables rindan cuentas ante la justicia.

Suscríbete aquí Suscríbete aquí para recibir directo en tu correo nuestras newsletters sobre noticias del día, opinión y muchas opciones más.

Lot of people go to Mex for medical procedures, not saying it's right or wrong, but it happens a lot more than people realize.  Terrible story.  Probably a set up by someone at the Dr office or border guard.  Low level hit imo.  Drug angle is plausible but im sure these four didnt exactly pose a threat once the cartel figured out what they were dealing with.  Likely one or both died in the initial salvo. 

I don’t think a serious cartel would want the heat that killing American tourists is gonna bring.  Especially not for 5 grand.  I think the wrong place/wrong time angle might have merit.  I mean, if you are carrying out a hit and a car full of Americans gets caught in the crossfire, what do you do?

Call the Lobo to come clean it up.

7723AB3C-6D91-4C35-8B58-42A97F42F1E2.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

With the new facts that have come to light, I have no problem believing the story.

The 4 people are african americans from the South, coming over the border for cosmetic surgery. That's a very popular thing for a certain demographic when they get their tax refund-- whether it be tummy tucks or the brazillian butt job things that are super popular since the kardashian and cardi-b types have made it big in that community.

I can believe they got caught up in a crossfire and were bad luck chucks.

Also, what do you want to bet that now that the fact pattern is established, this falls off the broader publics radar and give-a-crap-a-meter and is washed out of the news cycle by midweek. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but one thing I do know is Nancy Grace ain't walking through the door.

Edited by HamsterHookah

Also, what do you want to bet that now that the fact pattern is established, this falls off the broader publics radar and give-a-crap-a-meter and is washed out of the news cycle by midweek. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but one thing I do know is Nancy Grace ain't walking through the door.

If Jesse and Al show up in Matamoros, I’ll take that bet

34 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Also, what do you want to bet that now that the fact pattern is established, this falls off the broader publics radar and gives-a-crap-a-meter and is washed out of the news cycle by midweek. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but one thing I do know is Nancy Grace ain't walking through the door.

Oh if the media could squeeze out some racial division out of this turnip they would do it.

• Like 1

Interesting take. Haitian smugglers.

https://www.wmbfnews.com/2023/03/07/2-kidnapped-americans-sc-found-dead-mexico-2-are-alive/

A law enforcement official with knowledge of the matter tells NBC News there is no evidence the Americans drove into a gunfight. The evidence is they were targeted by Cartel gunmen after they crossed the border, in a case of mistaken identity. There was a chase and shots were fired at them. The source said one theory is that the Cartel believed these were Haitian people smugglers encroaching on their turf.

• Hook 'Em 3

reading this thread has been interesting.

i'm about as pinche gringo as one can get, but i've been fortunate enough to travel all over the world, and i tend to be drawn to sketchy ass areas in general because they are more interesting. i stay in whitechapel area in london. i don't think that's a big deal, but some people are shocked when they hear that. i like to think i know how to keep my head on a swivel, appear on guard enough to not be worth the trouble, etc. i'm a very experienced traveler.

that said, i ain't traveling through mexico. in recent years, i've been to a 6 star resort there and felt safe enough walking through the local town, but i have no illusions as to why i felt safe.

but yall gringoing your way across interior mexico these days are brave or comfortable or something else.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I don’t think a serious cartel would want the heat that killing American tourists is gonna bring.  Especially not for 5 grand.  I think the wrong place/wrong time angle might have merit.  I mean, if you are carrying out a hit and a car full of Americans gets caught in the crossfire, what do you do?

7723AB3C-6D91-4C35-8B58-42A97F42F1E2.jpeg

Let's not go sucking each other's dicks just yet.

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i'm about as pinche gringo as one can get, but i've been fortunate enough to travel all over the world, and i tend to be drawn to sketchy ass areas in general because they are more interesting. i stay in whitechapel area in london. i don't think that's a big deal, but some people are shocked when they hear that. i like to think i know how to keep my head on a swivel, appear on guard enough to not be worth the trouble, etc. i'm a very experienced traveler.

that said, i ain't traveling through mexico. in recent years, i've been to a 6 star resort there and felt safe enough walking through the local town, but i have no illusions as to why i felt safe.

but yall gringoing your way across interior mexico these days are brave or comfortable or something else.

Frustrating as hell how things have devolved over the last 3 decades in particular.  My extended family use to load up and spend holidays like Thanksgiving on the border.  Lots of shopping, eating, and drinking.  Haven't been back since late 1990's. Many fond memories of sitting at the market and bars with my grandparents and cousins at the tale end. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Some people swim in the ocean at sunset and are fine. But it's pretty much known that's when sharks actively feed, at dusk and dawn. You won't catch me beyond knee deep in the surf at sunset.

What's my point? Going to Mexico border towns is like getting in the ocean at sunset. You're probably going to be ok if you do. But it's not worth the risk. Sometimes your path might cross a feeding shark or a cartel group with bad intentions.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Yup. In fact, while I was in Mexico City a three years ago staying in a 5 star hotel, there was a shooting in our lobby of several people. My Mexican hosts demanded I change hotels because they had heard “rumors”.

I stood up for years to people saying Mexico was too dangerous, but it has just declined so much in the last few years anyone continuing to defend it is just uninformed. Now, obviously there are pockets all over the country where crime isn’t a major issue, like any country, but in general it’s not good. South Africa, Brazil and other areas I’ve traveled to are still worse, so I guess that’s a plus. 

40 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

https://www.wmbfnews.com/2023/03/07/2-kidnapped-americans-sc-found-dead-mexico-2-are-alive/

A law enforcement official with knowledge of the matter tells NBC News there is no evidence the Americans drove into a gunfight. The evidence is they were targeted by Cartel gunmen after they crossed the border, in a case of mistaken identity. There was a chase and shots were fired at them. The source said one theory is that the Cartel believed these were Haitian people smugglers encroaching on their turf.

This theory is predicated on the ole “Mexican think all people of color are the same”

7723AB3C-6D91-4C35-8B58-42A97F42F1E2.jpeg.dc0480f50ffb0566d3af80ebe8aeb2ec.jpeg

Yes. I’m itll be like camping in the summer. The heat will be in tents.

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

When did @Katfid54 start working for the Cartel?