4 US Citizens Kidnapped in Matamoros

Incredulity

Someone said jesse or al upthread. Shit they aint got the balls to go in to mexico spewing their shit. FAFO.
Think usa is racist? Try and see how mexico will work for you

Lol…white Americans are the only racist people on the planet.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

24 minutes ago, Hate said:

Lol…white Americans are the only racist people on the planet.

My friend who worked at a dive shop in Xcalak had some great stories from his 5 years working there. He's a 6 foot Jamaican with a thick accent. He said he would get asked the most insulting and racist questions from Mexican customers. Most of the Mexicans in this (very rural) area had never seen a live black person before him, and the only thing they knew about black people they learned from Netflix.

He said lots of Mexican guests would ask if there were any Mexican cooks in the kitchen because they didn't really trust food cooked by a black person.

Dalmain, fucking great chef, works at a nice place in XpuHa now

image.png.a24456be7174d2a1b766737b3d4401c2.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Some people swim in the ocean at sunset and are fine. But it's pretty much known that's when sharks actively feed, at dusk and dawn. You won't catch me beyond knee deep in the surf at sunset.

What's my point? Going to Mexico border towns is like getting in the ocean at sunset. You're probably going to be ok if you do. But it's not worth the risk. Sometimes your path might cross a feeding shark or a cartel group with bad intentions.

You’re basically terrified of living in Austin, TX, so I’m not that surprised 

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Js1 said:

You’re basically terrified of living in Austin, TX, so I’m not that surprised 

I don't live in fear of living in a big city but I wouldn't go into a border town (perhaps both sides) unless it was necessary. but maybe that is from watching Narcos:Mexico or ZeroZeroZero or even Breaking Bad. Guess I let TV influence my opinions.

I don't believe that narco criminals go out of their way to kill tourists but rather that they don't care or just make a mistake.

This recent kidnapping/murder is a weird one. Mistaken identity or perhaps the US citizens incorrectly answered a question and/or the narcos misinterpreted. The only other scenario that I see is that one of the four perhaps were seeking out some drugs and were acting in a weird manner to the locals.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't live in fear of living in a big city but I wouldn't go into a border town (perhaps both sides) unless it was necessary. but maybe that is from watching Narcos:Mexico or ZeroZeroZero or even Breaking Bad. Guess I let TV influence my opinions.

Statistically American border towns are some of the safest cities in the country. Some have high-ish property crime but violent crime it’s not even close.

For example the 2019 Walmart shooter, who thought Mexicans were just so violent and so dangerous, eclipsed El Paso’s entire 2018 homicide total in that one incident.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

13 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

My friend who worked at a dive shop in Xcalak had some great stories from his 5 years working there. He's a 6 foot Jamaican with a thick accent. He said he would get asked the most insulting and racist questions from Mexican customers. Most of the Mexicans in this (very rural) area had never seen a live black person before him, and the only thing they knew about black people they learned from Netflix.

He said lots of Mexican guests would ask if there were any Mexican cooks in the kitchen because they didn't really trust food cooked by a black person.

First of all, not racist.  But I walked out of a Chinese restaurant when I saw a white cook pouring my soup from the wok.

• Like 1

Mexicans are capable of discrimination .  Yes, it’s true.   But show me their litany of recent legislation where they seek to actively punish people just for being themselves.  

and then yea, we can discuss the cartels.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Mexicans are capable of discrimination .  Yes, it’s true.   But show me their litany of recent legislation where they seek to actively punish people just for being themselves.  

and then yea, we can discuss the cartels.  

Vietnamese friend was telling me in Vietnam there's plenty of racism among the Vietnamese based on skin darkness, as well... but, man, we are on a tangent.

In the end, I think there are plenty of areas in Mexico that can be safe and enjoyable.  Matamoros has not been one of those areas in decades.  Anyone who does not need to be there does not need to be there.  Anyone who is not Mexican that does not need to be there definitely does not need to be there.   This is appears to be a classic case of uninformed FAFO, unfortunately.  

Agreed.  I didn’t start the tangent.  Just wanted to chime in that they are just as racist as rest of planet earth, but they don’t codify it as much.  Their real problems remain corruption and targeted violence.  Perhaps a topic for a separate thread on which those of us who have family from Mexico and have worked with the Mexican government in recent years.  

cause this story?  This one done be fucked up and there ain’t no walking it back.  

13 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Statistically American border towns are some of the safest cities in the country. Some have high-ish property crime but violent crime it’s not even close.

For example the 2019 Walmart shooter, who thought Mexicans were just so violent and so dangerous, eclipsed El Paso’s entire 2018 homicide total in that one incident.

Quoted for truth. The mayhem almost always stays on that side of the border and if it crosses it is targeted at people in the trade. You are far safer in almost any border town on the U.S. side than in any big city in the U.S. and a lot of smaller ones, too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Helobious said:

True... But a number of crimes go unreported in some of the border cities.   Let's not forget the Valley for example has had it's share of corrupt cops and Sheriffs.   The Panama Unit,   Brig Marmelejo who was the Sheriff in Hidalgo County from the late 70's to the early 90's spent some time in Club Fed.  Same goes for the Cameron County Sherriff and DA.   Several smaller town PD's had officers go to the State or Federal Pen and continue to do so.    This is on top of some of the corruption with public officials.   

6 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

True... But a number of crimes go unreported in some of the border cities.   Let's not forget the Valley for example has had its share of corrupt cops and Sheriffs.   The Panama Unit,   Brig Marmelejo who was the Sheriff in Hidalgo County from the late 70's to the early 90's spent some time in Club Fed.  Same goes for the Cameron County Sherriff and DA.   Several smaller town PD's had officers go to the State or Federal Pen and continue to do so.    This is on top of some of the corruption with public officials.   

This is a big part of the reason that the communities themselves are safe. Nothing brings down the feds like gun battles in the streets and nothing gives the FBI a hardon like a corrupt cop or DA.  Those corrupt local officials can stay in place only as long as shit doesn’t get stirred up. 

So it’s in everyone’s interests to keep shit quiet in El Norte, unlike Mexico you can’t bribe enough U.S. attorneys to allow you to run wild. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

They aren't, but they do have a long history of systematically oppressing non-white people in America.

Yup... systematically is key.  Racists are everywhere and this country codified it into law on the local, state and Federal level many many times.  Italians can be pretty racist but I don't know that you would walk anywhere in Italy and see signs for "Italians Only" and "Moroccans/Libyans/Africans only" on an entrance, separate bathrooms, etc...   and I'm not talking an isolated incident but everywhere.   Yeah, we can talk about the Fascist years but Jim Crow was pretty much ingrained in the culture of the south (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jim_Crow_law_examples_by_state)

So, uh, again, don't go to Blanca White's in Matamoros 

Edited by texasdago

14 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Yep.    One of the things about being a white kid growing up in the RGV and knowing the language/culture,  is  I got a quick lesson about ethnic tensions when some of my friends or  their families let their guards down about how they felt about some black folks.   Yikes as a white guy if I had said what some of them said and it was made public,  I'd be on whatever shit list of the day.  I guess some of them thought as an anglo kid I'd understand  their views on blacks, but no I couldn't.

This was back in the 80's when things weren't as politically correct as they are now, but still.   Same folks used to call illegal aliens "wet backs" back then.   Go figure

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This is a big part of the reason that the communities themselves are safe. Nothing brings down the feds like gun battles in the streets and nothing gives the FBI a hardon like a corrupt cop or DA.  Those corrupt local officials can stay in place only as long as shit doesn’t get stirred up. 

So it’s in everyone’s interests to keep shit quiet in El Norte, unlike Mexico you can’t bribe enough U.S. attorneys to allow you to run wild. 

Until that one cop or DA screws up.    Occasionally they have to come down and make an example of someone.

52 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Vietnamese friend was telling me in Vietnam there's plenty of racism among the Vietnamese based on skin darkness, as well... but, man, we are on a tangent.

In the end, I think there are plenty of areas in Mexico that can be safe and enjoyable.  Matamoros has not been one of those areas in decades.  Anyone who does not need to be there does not need to be there.  Anyone who is not Mexican that does not need to be there definitely does not need to be there.   This is appears to be a classic case of uninformed FAFO, unfortunately.  

That is common in a lot of minority cultures unfortunately.

37 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Quoted for truth. The mayhem almost always stays on that side of the border and if it crosses it is targeted at people in the trade. You are far safer in almost any border town on the U.S. side than in any big city in the U.S. and a lot of smaller ones, too. 

In this day of the internet, anyone not from the US side of the border can easily look up which cities are "safe" and are no go zones on the Mexican side.   If you are visiting the RGV and want to go across, all the cities across the Rio Grande from Roma to Brownsville are no go zones expect Nuevo Progresso/Las Flores.    Now that's not to say you can't let your guard down, but I don't have a problem going over there for lunch and to look around some of the shops. Everything you need is within walking distance of the bridge within the first six to eight blocks.   No need to take your car unless you are buying a lot of stuff you can't carry over like pottery, etc.,    You can also buy some of that same stuff on the other side of the bridge as El Disco has a huge store in Progresso and the prices are slightly higher on this side and of course with sales tax included too.   

If you are going to Mexico for medical procedures other than Dental care,  just fly to Monterrey or Mexico City and get it done.   Or Costa Rica.   

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Yep.    One of the things about being a white kid growing up in the RGV and knowing the language/culture,  is  I got a quick lesson about ethnic tensions when some of my friends or  their families let their guards down about how they felt about some black folks.   Yikes as a white guy if I had said what some of them said and it was made public,  I'd be on whatever shit list of the day.  I guess some of them thought as an anglo kid I'd understand  their views on blacks, but no I couldn't.

This was back in the 80's when things weren't as politically correct as they are now, but still.   Same folks used to call illegal aliens "wet backs" back then.   Go figure

Dude that term was used well past the 80s unfortunately.  A lot of Mexican-Americans loathe the illegals coming over.

Just now, closetohumping said:

That is common in a lot of minority cultures unfortunately.

It's common in Mexico.    You have the white Europeans influenced Mexicans for which many of them have no Spanish  surnames for which many of them live in Northern Mexico in cities like Monterrey and Mexico City.     The further south you get to where many of the ancient Indian tribes dominated, you find the darker folks which the poverty rate is much higher than the north.    They have a type a caste system in that nation hence the drug dealers who some are part of the European influenced Mexicans easily exploit the lower class Mexicans to do their dirty work.   And of course you have lower class Mexicans  who strikes gold and becomes a Cartel boss himself.... This is one reason you have the turf wars down there.  

3 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

It's common in Mexico.    You have the white Europeans influenced Mexicans for which many of them have no Spanish  surnames for which many of them live in Northern Mexico in cities like Monterrey and Mexico City.     The further south you get to where many of the ancient Indian tribes dominated, you find the darker folks which the poverty rate is much higher than the north.    They have a type a caste system in that nation hence the drug dealers who some are part of the European influenced Mexicans easily exploit the lower class Mexicans to do their dirty work.   And of course you have lower class Mexicans  who strikes gold and becomes a Cartel boss himself.... This is one reason you have the turf wars down there.  

Among Asians, it's said that if you're dark, you are a field worker, aka a poor person.  

Didn't see this mentioned before, but a bit of a thought about the name of the city, Matamoros. I grew up in the RGV and never thought about it, but unless I'm wrong, doesn't Matamoros literally mean:
Mata = kill
moros = moors

So Matamoros is a surname from way back Spain, and used by some old badass known for "kill (er)" of "moors"?

That's metal AF.

Edited by TejanoAtUT

17 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Someone said jesse or al upthread. Shit they aint got the balls to go in to mexico spewing their shit. FAFO.
Think usa is racist? Try and see how mexico will work for you

The best part is when they start throwing temper tantrums and threaten to leave the USA for more, "enlightened" places then start ticking off Mexico and every other SA country as options.  LMFAO

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TejanoAtUT said:

Didn't see this mentioned before, but a bit of a thought about the name of the city, Matamoros. I grew up in the RGV and never thought about it, but unless I'm wrong, doesn't Matamoros literally mean:
Mata = killer
moros = moors

So Matamoros is a surname from way back Spain, and used by some old badass known for "killing moors"?

That's metal AF.

Least we forget the Mark Kilroy tragedy back in 1989.    I was a Junior in High School and the panic on this side was wild as we were just about to go on Spring Break.   They were warning everyone to stay away from the beach and don't even go close to an international bridge at any border town.   Rumors were a dime a dozen they were trying to abduct more students.    If the internet had been around back then, I can only imagine how crazy it would've been.    That city got a blackeye back that still shows.   

On 3/7/2023 at 11:16 AM, hayden_horn said:

i stay in whitechapel area in london. i don't think that's a big deal, but some people are shocked when they hear that. i like to think i know how to keep my head on a swivel, appear on guard enough to not be worth the trouble, etc. i'm a very experienced traveler.

They’re more scared of you than you are of them.

Rick Steves over here.

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

True... But a number of crimes go unreported in some of the border cities.   Let's not forget the Valley for example has had it's share of corrupt cops and Sheriffs.   The Panama Unit,   Brig Marmelejo who was the Sheriff in Hidalgo County from the late 70's to the early 90's spent some time in Club Fed.  Same goes for the Cameron County Sherriff and DA.   Several smaller town PD's had officers go to the State or Federal Pen and continue to do so.    This is on top of some of the corruption with public officials.   

yeah but the corruption isn't tied to violent crime

1 hour ago, TejanoAtUT said:

Mata = kill
moros = moors

So Matamoros is a surname from way back Spain, and used by some old badass known for "kill (er)" of "moors"?

That's metal AF.

Matamoros the city was named for a hero of the Mexican Revolution who had that surname. That surname came from a legend that St. James, the Patron of Spainiards (Santiago) appeared in battle and allowed a Spanish king to kill thousands of Moors (Saracens/Muslims). Santiago Matamoros is a popular figure in Mexican folk art. My parents have a retablo of him on a white charger. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Matamoros the city was named for a hero of the Mexican Revolution who had that surname. That surname came from a legend that St. James, the Patron of Spainiards (Santiago) appeared in battle and allowed a Spanish king to kill thousands of Moors (Saracens/Muslims). Santiago Matamoros is a popular figure in Mexican folk art. My parents have a retablo of him on a white charger. 

San Diego was named for?

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

They aren't, but they do have a long history of systematically oppressing non-white people in America.

Well, yeah, if we could have went straight from being simple microbes to what we are today, and skipped all the evolving in between, that would have been great.

• Fuck You 1

39 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Drug trade is not violent crime along the US side of the border.

It's not cartel like for sure with bodies hanging from the 281/US 83 interchange in Pharr.    But there is violence (IE murders, home invasions) going on that is drug related, just not on the scale as it does across the river.   And you can bet your bottom dollar some of the home invasion and other stuff goes unreported.