castolon - Needville Swamp Things
Brew - Whybrew
Capn81 - Capn Crunch
VolenteHawk - Quahog Drunken Clams
Scraps - Wood Grain Grippers
HG/Derka - Boyz II Menorah
spy - stupid names
tokamak 

Put these on the league message board just so they’re easier to find. 

What’s frustrating about the QS thing is that since we have a limit on starts, any start that isn’t a QS is a net negative for your team. 

Hunter Greene just had a QS but they left him in for the 7th and he gave up one more run. 

On 5/18/2023 at 12:40 PM, tokamak said:

Fuck, I just got the 5.2 IP near-QS.

I actually prefer QS to W, but that does kind of sting.

On 5/21/2023 at 10:26 AM, tokamak said:

What’s frustrating about the QS thing is that since we have a limit on starts, any start that isn’t a QS is a net negative for your team. 

Hunter Greene just had a QS but they left him in for the 7th and he gave up one more run. 

personally i prefer wins because it makes some relievers more valuable and closers can snake wins late in tie games.  like you said about it being a net negative - right now any closer than comes into a non-save situation is a no-upside scenario.  even a scoreless inning with 2k isn't much in a season-long roto.

not only have we had a ton of 5.2ip, but we also started luis garcia when he got injured after one batter.  plenty of ways to waste that start.  the qs stat is going the way of the dodo in today's mlb.  pitchers care about 5 innings because they want the win.  nobody cares about 6.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

personally i prefer wins because it makes some relievers more valuable and closers can snake wins late in tie games.  like you said about it being a net negative - right now any closer than comes into a non-save situation is a no-upside scenario.  even a scoreless inning with 2k isn't much in a season-long roto.

not only have we had a ton of 5.2ip, but we also started luis garcia when he got injured after one batter.  plenty of ways to waste that start.  the qs stat is going the way of the dodo in today's mlb.  pitchers care about 5 innings because they want the win.  nobody cares about 6.

There's pros and cons to both - and let's be honest, I'd probably bitch either way - but the reason I like QS is because in theory the pitcher has complete control over it. Can't say the same for W.

I do think you have a point about shorter starts. MLB teams are way more cautious about workloads than they were when these stats were invented. Feels like a huge deal these days when a guy goes even 7+ innings.

7 minutes ago, tokamak said:

There's pros and cons to both - and let's be honest, I'd probably bitch either way - but the reason I like QS is because in theory the pitcher has complete control over it. Can't say the same for W.

I do think you have a point about shorter starts. MLB teams are way more cautious about workloads than they were when these stats were invented. Feels like a huge deal these days when a guy goes even 7+ innings.

you're right, though i would say sometimes the mgr or even front office has more of a say than the pitcher, even if he's going well.  some teams don't like pitchers facing the other lineup a third time in a close game even if their pitch count is under control. 

in most cases they would prefer the sp go 5ip, 1er than 6.2ip, 3er, 100+ pitches.  unless we're talking about the verlanders of the world, of which there are few.