2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

24 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

I hope all this koolaid about Ewers is accurate and not just hype. If so, we could be in for a good show as long as he is healthy and upright. He is as physically gifted at throwing the football naturally as I have ever seen.

Same, it mostly reads as typical spring fluff. Everybody saying what they know they are supposed to say. 

But…if I want to buy in to the koolaid a bit, I can believe that he’s a young, immature kid with crazy talent who has had everything come pretty easy to him until last year. Last few years have been crazy with him skipping his senior year of HS to get paid, then with all the transfer drama and the actual football part sort of took a backseat. 

Then, he was faced with real adversity and some failure for the first time ever in his football career. It was probably eye opening to realize that this isn’t all going to be just handed to him. Good on him if he actually took that setback and rededicated himself to being great. And that would bode very well for us this year. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Saying you're going to start being serious and actually doing it in a way that will actually see results, on a consistent basis, is a pretty big leap. Hopefully he has someone he trusts and listens to, who has been there, and can check him whenever he falls below that standard. 

Good luck dude.

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Saying you're going to start being serious and actually doing it in a way that will actually see results, on a consistent basis, is a pretty big leap. Hopefully he has someone he trusts and listens to, who has been there, and can check him whenever he falls below that standard. 

Good luck dude.

I actually think this is a pretty normal thing for a D1 athlete. It is not really being lazy or having a bad attitude, more ignorance or hubris, You go your whole life dominating on the field, by simply showing up. Then you realize that doesnt work at the next level and you have to put a little more into it. .  It is funny, but I think a true freshman is really going to help in this regard (Hello, Arch). I doubt Ewers is the only freshman on Texas to come to this realization. I am pretty sure Sanders had this same realization after his freshman year. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Good luck dude.

Haircut and weight loss did it for me.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Always been kinda funny to me that the majority of Orangeblood's inside info pieces are just mods regurgitating previous reports, press conference quotes or player/recruit interviews.

I don’t think any besides Burton and Hamilton have anything worth paying for.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Had Enough said:

No, he wouldn’t have been the starter. Would we have been better had he been? Yes.

I’m well aware of Greg Davis. I recall Matt McCoy one on one with BJ Johnson and miles of green grass in front of him. One the top rated WR recruit. One not. It wasn’t even close. Yet one of many examples of lesser talented dudes winning, particularly against OU.

One of the problems, among many, is we’re so damn concerned with bullshit that it’s less about program building and getting as many quality football players as possible. That’s not about getting exceptions. That’s about finding guys who fit a role and serve a purpose within the program.

Historically speaking, the recent Georgias and Bamas of the world don’t exist in the sense that there truly are layers and layers of talent. That didn’t even exist to their extent with unlimited scholarships. This is Sarks method, and he may pull it off. Without NIL and SEC backing, he wouldn’t have a chance.

But if you’re asking me do I take a chance on a guy who produces like Bennett on an exception basis? Absolutely. Would I take guys to fill out rosters with a promise of hey you might get some playing time? Absolutely. Particularly in the portal era when guys who think they should be starting won’t be patient with a backup role.
And occasionally that’s dudes who are fine with fulfilling that backup role for the entirety of their career.

13 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

lol wut

I'm not discounting what he delivered.

But he wouldn't be the starter here. Hell, he wasn't going to be the starter at Uga, iirc.

On 3/17/2023 at 12:00 PM, Codaxx said:

I actually think this is a pretty normal thing for a D1 athlete. It is not really being lazy or having a bad attitude, more ignorance or hubris, You go your whole life dominating on the field, by simply showing up. Then you realize that doesnt work at the next level and you have to put a little more into it. .  It is funny, but I think a true freshman is really going to help in this regard (Hello, Arch). I doubt Ewers is the only freshman on Texas to come to this realization. I am pretty sure Sanders had this same realization after his freshman year. 

Ewers passing stats first year at Texas are better than VY passing stats first year at Texas….

maybe a bright spot???

Sure, we wished for more last year.  Plenty of rational talk about why certain games went poorly.  But the simplest explanation for the Alabama and OU performances (throws) is that this kid has some vivid talent.  It’s reasonable to expect relatively more vivid performances next season.  Or, we wish for more.

On 3/17/2023 at 2:58 PM, Hookem2147 said:

Always been kinda funny to me that the majority of Orangeblood's inside info pieces are just mods regurgitating previous reports, press conference quotes or player/recruit interviews.

The poster threads have been much better for quite some time. The bourbon thread is top notch.

4 hours ago, TexasTroll said:

Ewers passing stats first year at Texas are better than VY passing stats first year at Texas….

maybe a bright spot???

Quinn will need to be a much better passer than VY was in college because he has no wheels, not a great benchmark to consider

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

He was a freshman who hadn't played in two years. He was also incredibly good against both Alabama and OU. 
I have to think the injury was reinjured at some point either late in the BlowU game or after. Outside of the gooner game, he wasn't the same after the dirty hit from Bama. He was starting to look like his early season self against Washington, but we were missing too much on D, running game was non existent and Worthy still had the drops.
  • Hook 'Em 4

13 hours ago, Nope said:

Quinn will need to be a much better passer than VY was in college because he has no wheels, not a great benchmark to consider

There was a 3rd and long against OU where Quinn scrambled for a first down. He planted & cut, froze a defender, and then accelerated past the first down marker quicker than I expected. I think he was still a bit hurt when he did this. He will never be VY but I think he will have the confidence to be selective in his choices this year and run for more first downs that you expect. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 3/18/2023 at 7:17 PM, Nope said:

It is true, but starting as a true freshmen as a pocket passer is not that common. I dont really count Ewers' time at OSU, since he had to change systems. This does not mean anything to how Quinn will turn out, but I pulled some stats on pocket passers as true freshmen (I dont think these guys redshirted, but going off memory)

Comp Att Comp% Yards yds/att TD  Int
Manning  89 144 61.80% 1141 7.9 11 6
Palmer 130 235 55.30% 1755 7.5 7 6
Lawrence 259 397 65.20% 3280 8.3 30 4
Ewers 172 296 58.10% 2177 7.4 15 6
Marino 130 222 58.60% 1680 7.6 10 9
Rivers 237 441 53.70% 3054 6.9 25

Lawrence is really the only one to light up the world. Most were average to below average college Qbs in year 1. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

It is true, but starting as a true freshmen as a pocket passer is not that common. I dont really count Ewers' time at OSU, since he had to change systems. This does not mean anything to how Quinn will turn out, but I pulled some stats on pocket passers as true freshmen (I dont think these guys redshirted, but going off memory)

Comp Att Comp% Yards yds/att TD  Int
Manning  89 144 61.80% 1141 7.9 11 6
Palmer 130 235 55.30% 1755 7.5 7 6
Lawrence 259 397 65.20% 3280 8.3 30 4
Ewers 172 296 58.10% 2177 7.4 15 6
Marino 130 222 58.60% 1680 7.6 10 9
Rivers 237 441 53.70% 3054 6.9 25

Lawrence is really the only one to light up the world. Most were average to below average college Qbs in year 1. 

Thanks for the numbers, but the game has changed a ton since a lot of those guys played other than Lawrence.

Did Mahomes redshirt? His numbers weren't too far off from Ewers in a 7 game sample.

Mahomes 105    185    56.8%    1547    8.4    16    4    

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Thanks for the numbers, but the game has changed a ton since a lot of those guys played other than Lawrence.

Did Mahomes redshirt? His numbers weren't too far off from Ewers in a 7 game sample.

Mahomes 105    185    56.8%    1547    8.4    16    4    

comparisons are all pretty shitty. Hard to find apples to apples situation. That said I think it fair to assume Ewers will improve. The question is how much. I dont think anyone will know that, until about October. Hoping to see a Sam Ehlinger jump (11 TDs and 7 ints to 25 TDs and 5 ints as a soph)

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I'm told that Cook and Mitchell are fully bought in, and are turning heads, in addition to flashing. Once source said that they can catch balls downfield, which separates them from the other receivers on the roster. On one play, Manning overthrew Cook in the back of the end zone, but he kept one foot inbounds while the rest of his body was somewhere around row 9 of the end zone. "touchdown", said other members of the team, clearly impressed. 

This aligns with what I was told: On one play, Ewers overthrew Cain on a post route, but Mitchell was able to break off of his 10-yard curl and track the ball down in the back of the endzone. Folks on hand say both Cook and Mitchell make those kind of plays look routine.

• Haha 1

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic