2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

33 minutes ago, Blotto said:

And we will hear it every year moving forward. If you like sniffing jocks as the owner of any of these bullshit sites, and you like getting paid to sniff jocks, you print the shit that your readers want to hear. No different than chin pubes. They are full of shit when it comes to "objective takes" on the upcoming season. 

image.thumb.png.61b3935ae384f799e399060974c4699a.png

Kansas 2021. The hope is that Sark can eventually overwhelm our opponents with superior talent, but he sure as fuck failed that test against a team that had lost its previous two games 90-13 and whose only win up to that point was a 3 pt drubbing of an FCS team. That was all I had to see to confirm we hired a clown. A competent coach simply doesn't lose that game. A pants shitter cant change his stripes, he just buys a dark suit.

CT Thorn on Twitter: "Steve Sarkisian took (2) L's today:  https://t.co/x53atzrOXo" / Twitter

Hot Christ. Why are you doing this to us? Eli Eli Lama Sabachthani?!?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

43 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Some of you bean counting accountants, code-writing dorks and risk averse lawyers posting as roster experts here can't project for shit, because forecasting scares you, since they're inherently incorrect in some form from the beginning.

-The idea that this 2023 WR room doesn't factor into both the QB and the OL magically looking markedly better is laughable.

-Some of you dipshits hedging the concept of improvement from players entering into their second season, at complex positions, must squat to pee. Of course guys playing together, with more experience, surrounded by more talent, are going to play better. It is a fucking given. Jesus.

"Oh but the UW game happened, BRO!" No shit? The relevance of non-playoff bowl games associated to program trajectory is debatable, at best. Remember that time we beat the shit out of a more talented UGA team and announced that we were back? Yeah. 

nerds-mad.gif.2370ee4f446bac1f21e69af646bf7d4b.gif

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Magus Ossis said:

VY was more than a physical freak-- he was a winner, and the team around him were winners.

Yep. Winning is underrated.

VY took the field and everyone knew he would do anything he had to, no matter how superhuman, to win. Colt was similar, if not as talented.

Winning is contagious. So is losing.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Blotto said:

And we will hear it every year moving forward. If you like sniffing jocks as the owner of any of these bullshit sites, and you like getting paid to sniff jocks, you print the shit that your readers want to hear. No different than chin pubes. They are full of shit when it comes to "objective takes" on the upcoming season. 

image.thumb.png.61b3935ae384f799e399060974c4699a.png

Kansas 2021. The hope is that Sark can eventually overwhelm our opponents with superior talent, but he sure as fuck failed that test against a team that had lost its previous two games 90-13 and whose only win up to that point was a 3 pt drubbing of an FCS team. That was all I had to see to confirm we hired a clown. A competent coach simply doesn't lose that game. A pants shitter cant change his stripes, he just buys a dark suit.

CT Thorn on Twitter: "Steve Sarkisian took (2) L's today:  https://t.co/x53atzrOXo" / Twitter

crying-scream.gif

• Haha 4

50 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The idea that this 2023 WR room doesn't factor into both the QB and the OL magically looking markedly better is laughable.

spacer.png 

Look I *hope* you’re right but we saw this kind of thing pretty often. Ewers needs to make a big jump in accuracy to give those WR a chance. Fake broken hands or not 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

spacer.png 

Look I *hope* you’re right but we saw this kind of thing pretty often. Ewers needs to make a big jump in accuracy to give those WR a chance. Fake broken hands or not 

So it was Ewers fault the receiver fell down totally screwing the timing and route of the play? Interesting.

• Hook 'Em 3

VY took the field and everyone knew he would do anything he had to, no matter how superhuman, to win. Colt was similar, if not as talented.

They are contagious.

But also shit happens sometimes. Like getting shutout 12-0 versus OU. I don’t think VY ever beat and OU team worth a shit.

Those teams were pretty damn flawless when it came to game on the line.

The last two years we’ve been terrible in those situations until ISU last year. We’re still far from flawless, but there’s been life and success in those situations since that game.

7 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

spacer.png 

We can post random gifs of passes all day. I'll find one where Ewers looks great:

EkRCkH.gif    

I don't disagree that Ewers needs to improve, but posting a single play from his first game means nothing.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

They are contagious.

But also shit happens sometimes. Like getting shutout 12-0 versus OU.

That was a classic Mack gameplan that got us steamrolled before we could even get started. We were completely manhandled on both sides of the ball, not because of anything Vince did.

It's why VY beat the brakes off of them in 2005. His confidence post-Kansas in 2004 was a completely different animal.

• Rage+1 1

28 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do things right once in a while; you do them right all of the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing."

I didn't think Vince Lombardi would make an appearance today in the spring practice thread, but here we are.

• Hook 'Em 4

19 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

So it was Ewers fault the receiver fell down totally screwing the timing and route of the play? Interesting.

No shit. He picked a play where the receiver slipped right as Ewers was about to release the ball, which caused him to alter the throw thinking he might fall down. If Ewers had thrown that ball to the right spot to hit Robinson on the move as if he hadn't slipped then he would have been chasing a pick 6 and the poster would be bitching about that instead. 

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

That was a classic Mack gameplan that got us steamrolled before we could even get started. We were completely manhandled on both sides of the ball, not because of anything Vince did.

It's why VY beat the brakes off of them in 2005. His confidence post-Kansas in 2004 was a completely different animal.

@HenryJames got us tickets in the UT end zone for the 2004 game. Texas had scored in every game dating back to something like 1977 before that game. It was a known standing record, similar to the streak of having someone drafted in every draft until that fucking streak got broken as well. Fucking 12-0. Motherfucker. 

I remember sitting just over the wall and fantasizing, actively, during that game of jumping the wall, sprinting onto the sidelines and punching Mack Brown in the face without even slowing down. We later all went to an Italian restaurant and some dipshit tried to talk shit to us about a baseball playoff game, I think between the Cardinals and Dodgers, and he picked the wrong day. There is no way his wife could look at him the same after the altercation. It was some element of catharsis, to this day, I guess. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

No shit. He picked a play where the receiver slipped right as Ewers was about to release the ball, which caused him to alter the throw thinking he might fall down. If Ewers had thrown that ball to the right spot to hit Robinson on the move as if he hadn't slipped then he would have been chasing a pick 6 and the poster would be bitching about that instead. 

VY inspected each receiver's cleats before each series.  It's the little things that add up.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

I was there for a number of those. Had a real close view of Roy Williams making the play too.

It was an example of Mack messing his drawers which was not unusual. It was totally counter to how we played late in games versus virtually every team not named OU. Both good examples of how guys play to the personality that the conch exhibits.

Good point on post-KU 2004. Confidence is a huge deal and can change on a single game, maybe even a 4th and 18 play.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I was there for a number of those. Had a real close view of Roy Williams making the play too.

It was an example of Mack messing his drawers which was not unusual. It was totally counter to how we played late in games versus virtually every team not named OU. Both good examples of how guys play to the personality that the conch exhibits.

Good point on post-KU 2004. Confidence is a huge deal and can change on a single game, maybe even a 4th and 18 play.

Mack was telling the team before those games that we could lose and still have a good season. I doubt many players went into those games expecting to win.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Nuge said:

The 2023 Texas team will be better than the 2022 Texas team.  As others have said, just the improvement in the offensive line and qb will make a huge difference.

Head coach & DC in their 3rd year.

Starting QB in his 2nd year.

All 5 O-line starters returning and a talented group backing them up.

The rest of the Big 12 is hot garbage.

If Sark can't get double digit wins here this season, he never will. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

spacer.png 

Do you think QB can grow and get better between their 2nd career throw and their sophomore season? 

• Haha 5

46 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

@HenryJames got us tickets in the UT end zone for the 2004 game. Texas had scored in every game dating back to something like 1977 before that game. It was a known standing record, similar to the streak of having someone drafted in every draft until that fucking streak got broken as well. Fucking 12-0. Motherfucker.

In 2003, one of my good friends was coaching for us, so he got me a ticket. I got to the stadium and to my seat. No shit: 50 yard line, Row 20.

My friend's brother was supposed to meet me. I called him from the seat to let him know we had incredible seats. Phone went to voicemail. Kept going to voicemail. Kickoff came. Still VM. What the fuck?! By then, we were getting buried. Damn, he is going to be pissed! Halftime came and he still hadn't gotten there. I looked around and the 50 wasn't nearly so much fun to sit on down 37-13 alone. I finally made the executive decision to hit the road. Called from the parking lot: VM.

About an hour after the game, his brother called me. "Hey dude, where's your brother?! He missed the whole game and I haven't heard from him!"

"Yeahhhhh...he's in Lew Sterrett. Dumbass got arrested at the bar last night and they're keeping him in there. Something about a pitcher of beer..."

SHIT!

spacer.png

@Chili dog

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

You are talking about the same Kansas team that we beat 55-14 on the road last season when we weren't mired in a late season meltdown with an injured QB who couldn't crack 2,500 yards passing while healthy for Nebraska last season?

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

spacer.png 

Your example that you trot out of needing improved accuracy is his first game in two seasons on a play that the RB fell down out of his break? I really love your enthusiasm for confirmation bias. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I remember sitting just over the wall and fantasizing, actively, during that game of jumping the wall, sprinting onto the sidelines and punching Mack Brown in the face without even slowing down. We later all went to an Italian restaurant and some dipshit tried to talk shit to us about a baseball playoff game, I think between the Cardinals and Dodgers, and he picked the wrong day. There is no way his wife could look at him the same after the altercation. It was some element of catharsis, to this day, I guess. 

Previous shutout was against Baylor in 1980.  16-0.  

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

2023 Spring Practice Thread - rehash of losing to Kansas at home and getting shut out against OU. Coming soon - an Ian Boyd style breakdown of Rout 66 and a think piece about what really went wrong in the 46-3 Cotton Bowl vs Miami.

LHN has a 30 minute special on the 2014 UCLA coin flip. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

2023 Spring Practice Thread - rehash of losing to Kansas at home and getting shut out against OU. Coming soon - an Ian Boyd style breakdown of Rout 66 and a think piece about what really went wrong in the 46-3 Cotton Bowl vs Miami.

In hindsight, the cotton bowl committee should not have given Darrin Smith, Kevin Williams, and the rest of the Hurricane team pieces of picked cotton when they deplaned at DFW. That may have been our first tactical error. 

Edited by Vertigo

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Interesting.

Arrogance is interesting thing.

But do remember HenryJames post above. Don’t forget to do the other guys.

I mean... arrogance is what causes people to spew bullshit with absolute certainly on topics they know nothing about, so yeah. If you don't see the impact of having actual talent, experience and depth at OL and QB makes... or the impact of NOT having those things... none can help you.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Some of you bean counting accountants, code-writing dorks and risk averse lawyers posting as roster experts here can't project for shit, because forecasting scares you, since they're inherently incorrect in some form from the beginning.

Hey, I resemble that remark.

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

All the number dorks had Texas as a top 10 team. Connelley had the Tech game as like 98% Texas win. In a lot of ways Texas really was among the best teams in the country if we are talking about something like true talent level.  
Didn't get many breaks.  Didn't do a good job coaching in a couple games. Had a few injuries that really were a problem on offense and had a lot of youth.  The defense was really good and it was much older and didn't have any major injuries. Who knew.  We actually saw some evidence of the coaches improving later in the year. Sark got really stubborn with the run in Kansas and Baylor in a good way when it was working and they gave Quinn an offense he was better off running against Washington.  
But yeah- you are what your record says and the numbers can say that Tech was a 2% loss b/c the numbers don't understand that we were playing large cushion and watching them pitch and catch easily on 3rd and 4th down b/c we didn't understand what they were doing to us during the game.  The numbers didn't understand we were going to keep throwing deep routes to a guy with a broken thumb and the ball awareness of a non athlete into a fierce wind when we have the Doak Walker winner at RB.  Those were games that we absolutely lost for ourselves thru stupidity. But Vegas had us as a favorite in every game other than Bama and the computers loved us b/c in a lot of ways it was a very good team. 

tldr

58 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Stunt double for Brendon Fraser??

no; Mike Myers.

51 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Who says it won't be (narrator voice- it wasn't).

me

11 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

please no

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

That's what's so strange. Ewers had a lot of bad throws last year, ngl, but this was not one of them.

3 hours ago, Had Enough said:

They needed Vince to get them out of their shells…

image.thumb.jpeg.1d64eb74ceb69fa216b90bea2828c91f.jpeg

Edited by Vito Andolini
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Ok let’s do this. 

the first I heard of the consecutive score streak was during game 2 of the 1997 season when we kicked a fg to extend it. 

Ahhh,yes the fabled game 2 of 1997, or as I sometimes call it, the game after Rutgers but before Rice.  Really no other shorthand way to refer to this totally nondescript non program altering game.  Well played.

3 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

We can post random gifs of passes all day. I'll find one where Ewers looks great:

EkRCkH.gif    

I don't disagree that Ewers needs to improve, but posting a single play from his first game means nothing.

I mean he missed the wide open TD at the bottom…. /s

• Rage+1 1

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic