2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

5 hours ago, Red Five said:

Mack was telling the team before those games that we could lose and still have a good season. I doubt many players went into those games expecting to win.

Agree with Mack.  I don't watch UT football for the wins but more to get to know the good kids and good families.  I'm cheering only for them to become great accountants and teachers with their diplomas they are earning by playing a game.

I miss Brett Robin on second Saturdays in October.

• Haha 4
  • Rage+1 2

7 hours ago, Viper said:

Do you think QB can grow and get better between their 2nd career throw and their sophomore season? 

Let’s all not pretend like we didn’t see the same missed throws all season? We’re obviously rooting for the same thing but I’m not going to pretend that accuracy improvements- especially on the deep throws- isn’t necessary for us to win next season. I’m also not going to take it for granted or expect it without proof. 

17 hours ago, Viper said:

Do you think QB can grow and get better between their 2nd career throw and their sophomore season? 

10 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Let’s all not pretend like we didn’t see the same missed throws all season? We’re obviously rooting for the same thing but I’m not going to pretend that accuracy improvements- especially on the deep throws- isn’t necessary for us to win next season. I’m also not going to take it for granted or expect it without proof. 

I'll take that as a "No" then.

• Haha 3

Obviously I think a QB can improve year to year but I’m also not going to assume Colt McCoy production or playoffs. God forbid someone reality checks CTJ

As good as Quan and Shipley and I guess Chris O were, Ewers won’t have to be as good due to the weapons. Those might be the only dudes from 2008 or 2009 cracking this years two-deep.

4 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

As good as Quan and Shipley and I guess Chris O were, Ewers won’t have to be as good due to the weapons. Those might be the only dudes from 2008 or 2009 cracking this years two-deep.

Huh? Not Colt or Kindle or 10-15 other guys from the 2008 team alone?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/24/2023 at 11:11 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

We should have a much improved offesnive line due to experience as well as a much improved QB play so hopefully we don't get to a point where we have to rely on heroics of a RB like Bijan. That is how you know your program is truly improving.

On 3/24/2023 at 11:20 AM, Longhornlove said:

JFC dude, broaden your perspective. Ton of returning offensive linemen and all the starters. A healthy Brooks hopefully and the Top HS RB in the country on the roster. A year older Blue and Robinson. RB room will be fine. Improved WR room. TE room a year older. QB should drastically improve. DMO was overrated IMO but a solid player. The backups last year were terrible and or unproven. 

I don't necessarily disagree with this, you can see my earlier post about expectations. Point is that dismissing the Washington game as an indicator of Sark's coaching ability because of player absences is kind of cherry picking data points to fit the preferred narrative. That's all.

23 hours ago, pyrofiend said:

I would love to see how many 10 and 11 win teams had 2 true freshmen and a sophomore with limited experience starting on the offensive line.
How many 10 and 11 win teams had fewer than 30 upperclassmen scholarship players?

Nearly all predictions for 2022 involved a win total between 7 and 9. And that was before Neyor tore his ACL or the realization that Agiye Hall and Jahleel Billingsly were busts.

49.99% of this board voted for 9-12 wins lol

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/topic/26374-how-many-wins-will-texas-have-this-season/page/4/#comment-4961918

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I would think there is a chance....however small it may be that some of the team might actually be able to play a bit faster just due to better understanding of the system alone. Never mind that they might even improve due to work and effort. If we have any luck at all on the injury front we have a chance to be greatly improved.'

I suggest some of y'all start buying the large size tampons to help stop that damned vagina squeek.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I kind of think we beat Bama? That said, Saban has been nails in early season OOC games. I hope we catch them during the Milroe QB experiment. 

Between the coordinators on both sides of the ball and the QB change I really have no idea what to make of Bama. Nowhere to go but up from BOB but replacing Bryce Young is an impossible task. I think I lean slightly toward them in that game because Bama just kind of gets the benefit of the doubt and Sark sucks on the road, but I don't think anything would really surprise me.

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Between the coordinators on both sides of the ball and the QB change I really have no idea what to make of Bama. Nowhere to go but up from BOB but replacing Bryce Young is an impossible task. I think I lean slightly toward them in that game because Bama just kind of gets the benefit of the doubt and Sark sucks on the road, but I don't think anything would really surprise me.

Milroe sucks shit, but he'll almost certainly be the starter in Week 2. Saban might replace him in game, but he'll start. It feels like first to 20-21 wins that game. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Milroe sucks shit, but he'll almost certainly be the starter in Week 2. Saban might replace him in game, but he'll start. It feels like first to 20-21 wins that game. 

Backup QB coming in mid-game, Texas holding opponent to 21

years khan GIF

• Rage+1 2

On 3/23/2023 at 3:46 PM, closetojumping said:

Texas is going to field the best team it's had since 2008 in the upcoming season. They will be relevant in the playoff discussion, beat Bama in Tuscaloosa, and win the conference. Take off your protective, wet blanketed armor of maudlin self-loathing, get your shit together, and gear the fuck up, pussies.

Show CTJ a loss!

On 3/23/2023 at 9:21 AM, Codaxx said:

The guy was listed at 210 in HS and is now listed at 227. I remember some you tuber reviewing his film saying he maybe a box safety, given his size and coverage ability. Fair to say he has taken well to college S&C

It's amazing for sure what D1 SC can do. A guy I played in HS graduated at 6'3" and 230lbs and looked like he was carved out of granite. He got a full scholarship to UH. He came back home for a summer visit after his freshman year at 6'3" and 265lbs and still looked like he was carved out of granite. I've still never seen such a huge change in a player. He went on to play for a couple years in Washington.

The team already believes they should’ve beaten Bama.  Fuck Saban.  The time for honoring himself will soon be at an end.

Well, considering their scores were on massive holds, and they apparently are immune from a safety…. Yeah. Texas whipped their ass.
  • Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Well, considering their scores were on massive holds, and they apparently are immune from a safety…. Yeah. Texas whipped their ass.

Get used to it. LSU fans are still bitching about missed holding calls from the 90s. 

The safety non-call was inexplicably bad. Like worse than Bama controls the officials tinfoil hat conspiracies. That was just pure incompetence. 

Quarterback order was exactly as expected: Quinn Ewers, Maalik Murphy, Arch Manning, Charles Wright.  

OR

Arch Manning was back as the #2 QB for most of the practice. 

Obviously Charles Wright has beaten out everyone and they just don't want to tell us

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Quarterback order was exactly as expected: Quinn Ewers, Maalik Murphy, Arch Manning, Charles Wright.  

OR

Arch Manning was back as the #2 QB for most of the practice. 

Obviously Charles Wright has beaten out everyone and they just don't want to tell us

I trust IT much more than TFB. So gotta go with the former.

• Fuck You 1

Hope to hear more reports of QB's making this connection with Worthy -- Ewers in particular. But it's on Worthy to track and pluck the balls from the air as much as the QB putting it where he can get it. Also opponents already know to disrupt Worthy and get him off his routes, so there's that too. On the other hand, there should be enough talent to spread the ball around and take some pressure off Worthy.

Arch-Worthy.thumb.jpg.c7a99e49a03d3099fbbc2b17f229f316.jpg

On 3/24/2023 at 12:20 PM, Park Gothic said:

We can post random gifs of passes all day. I'll find one where Ewers looks great:

EkRCkH.gif    

I don't disagree that Ewers needs to improve, but posting a single play from his first game means nothing.

1. Ewers is going to be fine jmo 

2. Someof his passes were so bad last year I thought he was point shaving

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Y’all are a bunch of slack jawed bundle of sticks. I just booked my hotels for the natty. Quinn wins heisman. Baxter wins Doak and b12 fresh of year. Worthy wins bilitinkof.  Show me a loss I’ll show you why you’re wrong 

1 hour ago, Deej said:

You do realize we are a bunch of drunks?

I rest my case.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Get used to it. LSU fans are still bitching about missed holding calls from the 90s. 

The safety non-call was inexplicably bad. Like worse than Bama controls the officials tinfoil hat conspiracies. That was just pure incompetence. 

It wasn't incompetence.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, OB3 said:

IT quick practice notes

Reveal hidden contents

We’ll have more but to satiate you for now here’s what we have with practice ending just moments ago. 

We’ll start with the offensive line.

The starting O-line in drill work was Kelvin Banks-Hayden Conner-Jake Majors-Cameron Williams-Christian Jones. DJ Campbell was 2nd team right guard.

As the team portion started, DJ Campbell was back with the ones at right guard and Cam Williams returned to second team right tackle. There is a lot of cross training going on. One wonders if they’re using Williams to push Campbell since Cole Hutson isn’t there to compete with him.

Other than that one early drill, Campbell was with the ones at guard.

A bystander raved about how well Payton Kirkland moves but will watch to see how physical he is when he gets his chance. Malik Agbo and Williams flip flopped between second team tackle and guard.

Some play-by-play bullets points: 

Both Barryn Sorrell and Ethan Burke flashed during one-on-ones pass rushing drills. 

Colton Vasek beat Payton Kirkland in the same setting. 

Zac Swanson was denied by Cam Williams.

Colton Vasek wins another rep, not sure against who. 

Andre Cojoe wins rep, loses rep. He’s big and young but has some decent feet.

Hayden Conner working interior wins his reps.  

Vernon Broughton blew up Malik Agbo.

More Aaron Bryant moves, quick feet/hands. Great sign!

On kick return: Jordan Whittington and Jaydon Blue then DeAndre Moore and Savion Red

Quarterback order was exactly as expected: Quinn Ewers, Maalik Murphy, Arch Manning, Charles Wright.  

Will Stone, golden foot then a doink. 

Ewers hit Ja’Tavion Sanders on an out route for a 1st down. 

T’Vondre Sweat picked off Ewers on a screen. Rumbling, bumbling, stumbling.

Jaydon Blue running hard with twos. Good sign!

Ewers escapes pressure, steps up in pocket, hits receiver on out route to sideline. 

Maalik Murphy strike to Johntay Cook. 
As we said, these are just preliminary notes. We’re working for more.

Dark mode: 

Spoiler

We’ll have more but to satiate you for now here’s what we have with practice ending just moments ago. 

We’ll start with the offensive line.

The starting O-line in drill work was Kelvin Banks-Hayden Conner-Jake Majors-Cameron Williams-Christian Jones. DJ Campbell was 2nd team right guard.

As the team portion started, DJ Campbell was back with the ones at right guard and Cam Williams returned to second team right tackle. There is a lot of cross training going on. One wonders if they’re using Williams to push Campbell since Cole Hutson isn’t there to compete with him.

Other than that one early drill, Campbell was with the ones at guard.

A bystander raved about how well Payton Kirkland moves but will watch to see how physical he is when he gets his chance. Malik Agbo and Williams flip flopped between second team tackle and guard.

Some play-by-play bullets points: 

Both Barryn Sorrell and Ethan Burke flashed during one-on-ones pass rushing drills. 

Colton Vasek beat Payton Kirkland in the same setting. 

Zac Swanson was denied by Cam Williams.

Colton Vasek wins another rep, not sure against who. 

Andre Cojoe wins rep, loses rep. He’s big and young but has some decent feet.

Hayden Conner working interior wins his reps.  

Vernon Broughton blew up Malik Agbo.

More Aaron Bryant moves, quick feet/hands. Great sign!

On kick return: Jordan Whittington and Jaydon Blue then DeAndre Moore and Savion Red

Quarterback order was exactly as expected: Quinn Ewers, Maalik Murphy, Arch Manning, Charles Wright.  

Will Stone, golden foot then a doink. 

Ewers hit Ja’Tavion Sanders on an out route for a 1st down. 

T’Vondre Sweat picked off Ewers on a screen. Rumbling, bumbling, stumbling.

Jaydon Blue running hard with twos. Good sign!

Ewers escapes pressure, steps up in pocket, hits receiver on out route to sideline. 

Maalik Murphy strike to Johntay Cook. 
As we said, these are just preliminary notes. We’re working for more.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic