2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

I will not debate that the 2008 &09 teams did not have great running backs....but with all respect....to think that Worthy could even hold Shipley's jock is just pure lack of football knowledge.....Perhaps in the future Worthy will show up and show out, but as DKR would say about potential....he aint done it yet...

Shipley was great. No doubter as one of the greatest ever to play WR here. I never said otherwise. Quan was great in 2008. Kinda why I initially said they’d be in next years two-deep. I intended to leave that open-ended as to who you could define as starter.

But there’s no way Worthy never plays just because those two are here. Also keep in mind, those were slightly older more mature guys. To discount a guy who catches 120 balls for 1,700 yards and 21 TDs in his first two years with inconsistent QB play is a little off base. I hope we have yet to see Worthy’s best. Barring injury next year, he’ll leave top 5 statistically I believe.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

I only regret that I did not buy a :01 Cornhuskers t-shirt in Lincoln in 2010.

They were still seething, and the shirts were all over the place. Then we kicked them in the junk on their way out of the conference with a shitty team.

spacer.png

If I ever make a documentary about the Texas/Nebraska rivalry, I'm calling it, "We kicked them in the junk with a shitty team."

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, NoName said:

the 2009 Texas team finished as the #3 overall FEI team. they had the #17 offense. they were fine, but yeah, not special. that said the OU team was the #2 DFEI team in the country. The Nebraska team was #5. They also scored 21 on the #1 DFEI team (Alabama) with a true freshman QB playing. their offense was fine but not the strength of the team vs the defense.

regarding guys drafted:

• GG was drafted in 2014
  • Jordan Shipley was drafted in 2010
  • Marquise Goodwin was drafted in 2013
  • +Justin Tucker (doesn't really count)
  • there were more than a few other dudes who at least were on a NFL roster for a little while or who played for a few years.

the star power was on defense on that team though drafted guys were Muckelroy, Earl Thomas, Keenan Robinson, Lamarr Houston, Sam Acho, Sergio Kindle, Curtis Brown, Chykie Brown, Emanuel Acho, Aaron Williams, Kheeson Randall, Kenny Vaccaro and Alex Okafor.

side note, but this kind of says all you need to know about the Texas offense in 2009. 116 catches for 1st place and 39 for 2nd. Shipley caught 4 passes vs OU (what a game plan there btw, Colt threw for 127 yards while going 21/39 for a 3.3 avg lol), and 6+ in every other game.

NAlAimxg

i agree. more talented RB room, more talented WR room and a more talented TE room. add in a better offensive coordinator/scheme and a better OL and he is set up for success. looking back, Colt McCoy really and truly did a lot with not a lot.

Man whatever happened to Desean Hales?  I thought he was a certified stud coming out of Klein Oak...

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Shipley was great. No doubter as one of the greatest ever to play WR here. I never said otherwise. Quan was great in 2008. Kinda why I initially said they’d be in next years two-deep. I intended to leave that open-ended as to who you could define as starter.

But there’s no way Worthy never plays just because those two are here. Also keep in mind, those were slightly older more mature guys. To discount a guy who catches 120 balls for 1,700 yards and 21 TDs in his first two years with inconsistent QB play is a little off base. I hope we have yet to see Worthy’s best. Barring injury next year, he’ll leave top 5 statistically I believe.

Worthy would have played a lot in 2008.  Brandon Collins was getting run as a true sophomore in 2008.  Him getting kicked off the team hurt the offense tremendously in 2009.  He would have slid into Quan's spot and caught 80 balls.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Soccer Dudes Dad said:

Man whatever happened to Desean Hales?  I thought he was a certified stud coming out of Klein Oak...

If I had a dollar for every one of those guys that didn't pan out I'd be able to afford a good enough lawyer to sue Blacklab and take over Surly

Worthy would have played a lot in 2008.  Brandon Collins was getting run as a true sophomore in 2008.  Him getting kicked off the team hurt the offense tremendously in 2009.  He would have slid into Quan's spot and caught 80 balls.

Right. Should have read never not plays. Doesn’t mean he woulda been #1or #2.

Malcolm Williams was actually a talented dude too but didn’t work out.

5 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I just read the last 5 pages. Fuck everyone of you assholes with bleeding vaginas. 10+ wins, my body is ready for Eleven win Esteban 

I don’t normally fuck bleeding vaginas but I’m with Jesus on this one. 
SHOW. ME. A. LOSS. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Is there any IT update from spring pratice? Some retard on twitter said Burke was with the 1s today but I have a feeling he got that from OB.

Venmo me 9.94 and I can give you a for sure and definitely not made up version of what happened in a closed practice. My sources are legit 

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Is there any IT update from spring pratice? Some retard on twitter said Burke was with the 1s today but I have a feeling he got that from OB.

that guy got it from Alex Dunlap.. There was a youtube show today and he stated that his source was saying Burke was running with the 1s.

11 hours ago, Red Five said:

Why did Malcolm Williams quit football? With a year or two of eligibility remaining, IIRC. I seem to remember it being weirdly hush hush and not talked about.

He had a sad family thing happen, and I guess football wasn't as important to him after that 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

I was simply curious. He had a lot of fan fare around him during his recruitment.

You usually know your stuff in recruiting but this isn't true. He was a late, not very well known (except by Westlake honks) 3-star flip from Michigan who'd focused mostly on lacrosse. At best people thought he was an interesting ball of clay.

• Hook 'Em 4

58 minutes ago, texifornia said:

You usually know your stuff in recruiting but this isn't true. He was a late, not very well known (except by Westlake honks) 3-star flip from Michigan who'd focused mostly on lacrosse. At best people thought he was an interesting ball of clay.

Mayhaps the misuse of the word. Intrigue would be better. Fan fare would indicated a level of excitement. A lot of "maxed out frame" takes for sure. Apologies for the confusion. I need a CTJ vocabulary class it would seem.

Edited by BornAndRaised

28 minutes ago, OB3 said:

IT practice notes

Hide contents

Tuesday’s practice featured a spirited effort from the defense with ‘effort’ being the optimal word. Guys were flying around making plays or helping their teammates make plays. There were lots of tips, overthrows due to quarterback pressure, and some interceptions. It was so windy the coaches moved the practice indoors for 7 on 7 and team but that didn’t seem to help the quarterbacks much. 

Some overall notes after spring practice No. 7:

– Kitan Crawford remains “locked in.” He’s vocal in the secondary for the first time. If you’re not talking you don’t know what you’re doing — he’s talking. He excels when locked up in man coverage.

– Another DB who stood out on Tuesday was freshman Malik Muhammad who made an “IQ” interception when he jumped a route after making a great read. This team is deep at corner. 

– The practice featured a lot of 3rd down work which opened the door for Ethan Burke to shine as a pass rusher. He had a strong day which also helped the DB’s. Third down was a bit of an Achilles heel last season, so Burke, or any pass rusher developing, is something to keep an eye on.

– Not to be outdone by T’Vondre Sweat‘s recent interception, Jaray Bledsoe had one of his own while working from the interior. I believe that was on a tipped pass at the line of scrimmage.

– It wasn’t all defense, though. As the offense worked third downs they also worked on the shorter passing game which involved Jordan Whittington. His intelligence as a route runner and ability to find soft zones was on display.

– Xavier Worthy caught another deep ball from Quinn Ewers. It appears the connection between these two is improving which is something else to monitor. Worthy’s hands haven’t necessarily been great but you’ll accept that if he can return to Big Play ‘Zay. 

– Perhaps evidence of Chris Jackson‘s coaching, Casey Cain is showing improvement, particularly as a route runner. Dare I say crisper routes!

– A budding theme is we’re hearing of players all over the depth chart making plays, whether true freshmen or second-teamers like Cain. We’re a far cry from a former Texas coach telling us there were 14 players on offense alone who would likely never contribute at Texas.

– Practice resumes Thursday and then again on Saturday.

Man I hope K.Crawford can take a step forward. I'd love to be able to get/keep that kind of athlete on the field

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, Fud said:

I don't think we need a TE, but I doubt Bobby would say that unless it was something he's hearing 

Makes sense. Sark requires TEs to block. You dont see the field, if you can not block. Texas has Sanders, Helm, Davis, Shannon, and Randle. 2 of them are not on campus. Davis and Randle are not in-line TEs and Randle is coming off injury. Shannon is freshmen, so you can not count on him being ready to block at a solid level. Texas only has 2 guys that are ready to be every down players at the position.

24 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Makes sense. Sark requires TEs to block. You dont see the field, if you can not block. Texas has Sanders, Helm, Davis, Shannon, and Randle. 2 of them are not on campus. Davis and Randle are not in-line TEs and Randle is coming off injury. Shannon is freshmen, so you can not count on him being ready to block at a solid level. Texas only has 2 guys that are ready to be every down players at the position.

As someone pointed out above, recruiting a TE3 worth a shit out of the portal is easier said than done, unless we're blowing NIL money on that

If Sanders or Helm goes down, we'll probably just see other personnel groupings more often 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

As someone pointed out above, recruiting a TE3 worth a shit out of the portal is easier said than done, unless we're blowing NIL money on that

If Sanders or Helm goes down, we'll probably just see other personnel groupings more often 

We'd probably see that jumbo TE like we used last year 

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

That is likely 5 wide and not something Sark has shown he wants to run. Last year I think you could have seen Rojo at FB in the disaster scenario, but I dont think Baxter is ready for that kind of role. This is the disaster situation that requires a some bad injury luck, so I am not overly concerned. I am guessing that is what Bobby is thinking about, because this is the season to over-think things. 

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

That is likely 5 wide and not something Sark has shown he wants to run. Last year I think you could have seen Rojo at FB in the disaster scenario, but I dont think Baxter is ready for that kind of role. This is the disaster situation that requires a some bad injury luck, so I am not overly concerned. I am guessing that is what Bobby is thinking about, because this is the season to over-think things. 

How is that likely five wide?

Just now, Codaxx said:

My bad 4 Wrs. Sark loves him some TEs and has said it is the second most important position on the team. I dont think he wants to go without a TE in normal offense. 

Well, we'd have to lose several TEs to get to that point. I'd say that worrying about playable third string depth is more want than need 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

Well, we'd have to lose several TEs to get to that point. I'd say that worrying about playable third string depth is more want than need 

agreed. Losing your top 2 at almost any spot will change your teams outlook. 

2 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Man I hope K.Crawford can take a step forward. I'd love to be able to get/keep that kind of athlete on the field

I’m very skeptical of the Crawford koolaid. The guy was totally lost in addition to playing with poor effort the last time we saw him play. Now all of the sudden it all came together? I just take that as.peak 9.95 offseason bullshit and I expect him to be processed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic