2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Burton said this morning that he's hearing Tapp's name more often (in a good way).

Like let’s all Tapp South Austin’s mom. 

image.gif.4a9e992960cb884aefd7aee81b7980cf.gif

BTW, I have some employees who date some starters. One of these days, I’m going to have them ask questions about EDge, most improved, etc. Just my opinion but I feel like the players have the best understanding of who will stand out in the fall.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MuellerHorn said:

I don't think so - at least for the upcoming season. He's more Malcolm Epps in style (not projecting success) than a hybrid, or even an in-line TE, at this point.

Sure.  I agree. At this point. But it would be nice to have him get some snaps this year and be in the system in preparation for next year.  

I’m very skeptical of the Crawford koolaid. The guy was totally lost in addition to playing with poor effort the last time we saw him play. Now all of the sudden it all came together? I just take that as.peak 9.95 offseason bullshit and I expect him to be processed. 

I wouldn’t think he’s processed cause he’s older and gets down field on special teams because he’s fast but also playing hard there.

Being lost often results in poor effort, which he doesn’t exhibit on kick coverage. It’s certainly possible it’s coming together. Not that I’d accept reports as guarantees of that though. And we’re probably not game planning or play calling to take advantage of his weaknesses.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Newy25 said:

I’m very skeptical of the Crawford koolaid. The guy was totally lost in addition to playing with poor effort the last time we saw him play. Now all of the sudden it all came together? I just take that as.peak 9.95 offseason bullshit and I expect him to be processed. 

Agree.  Players can never "have it come together" and improve.🤯

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bevo said:

Like let’s all Tapp South Austin’s mom. 

image.gif.4a9e992960cb884aefd7aee81b7980cf.gif

BTW, I have some employees who date some starters. One of these days, I’m going to have them ask questions about EDge, most improved, etc. Just my opinion but I feel like the players have the best understanding of who will stand out in the fall.  

Pretty sure your employee's "edging" players might belong in the "I'd Pee in her Butt thread" but I will read regardless.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I wouldn’t think he’s processed cause he’s older and gets down field on special teams because he’s fast but also playing hard there.

Being lost often results in poor effort, which he doesn’t exhibit on kick coverage. It’s certainly possible it’s coming together. Not that I’d accept reports as guarantees of that though. And we’re probably not game planning or play calling to take advantage of his weaknesses.

Heard his man coverage was excellent, which makes sense. This could all be normal camp kool-aid, but he is one of the most physically gifted players in the secondary. He was completely lost last year at safety. If he knows his assignments and where to be this year, it is possible he is a solid player. Hopefully the spring game gives some insight. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Offseason truly is the most wonderful time of the year. Kitan Crawford is trending yet again, all is right in the world. In the past it's been because he's an athletic freak. This time it's because he talks on the field. It's like having another headset on the field. Not necessarily a coach, just that you can hear him on the field a lot. He's loud and says words!

Wake me up when he supplants Thompson/Catalon or Watts, Brooks, Holmes or Barron. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Offseason truly is the most wonderful time of the year. Kitan Crawford is trending yet again, all is right in the world. In the past it's been because he's an athletic freak. This time it's because he talks on the field. It's like having another headset on the field. Not necessarily a coach, just that you can hear him on the field a lot. He's loud and says words!

Wake me up when he supplants Thompson/Catalon or Watts, Brooks, Holmes or Barron. 

Well he's not changing positions so those last four aren't happening. And I don't think anyone is expecting him to beat out either of Thompson or Catalon. But considering the latter's injury history, and the other options at safety behind them.... 

• Hook 'Em 1

FCB Football content from The Insider:

Spoiler

The Insider: Texas spring football nuggets

How about some nuggets from last Saturday’s scrimmage — in which the high school coaches (who came in for Friday night’s clinic with former Longhorn and San Francisco 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan) were allowed to watch.

Here’s what a few different sources had to say:

Colton Vasek will end up being really good as an edge defender. He just needs to add some muscle.”

“The defense was pretty salty in the red zone — very physical and tough to move up front. They had a heavy package where they put four defensive ends on the field together at the same time. It was Byron Murphy, T'Vondre Sweat, Vernon Broughton and Alfred Collins.”

“If I had to pick a standout on defense, I’d say the entire defensive line was the standout.”

“It wouldn’t shock me if Byron Murphy and T'Vondre Sweat have the same kind of years Moro Ojomo and Keondre Coburn had last year. Those two are a problem on the interior D-line.”

“No one really grabbed my attention at linebacker — probably because so many plays were being made at the line.”

Quinn Ewers was fine. Nothing really spectacular, but no big mistakes. He did his job.

“Quarterbacks Maalik Murphy and Arch Manning did OK. But the second-team offensive line gave up a lot of pressure, so they didn’t have a clean pocket.”

Jaydon Blue is better than I thought he’d be. Blue and Kelvin Banks were the two players on offense who stood out the most to me.”

“(CJ) Baxter will be good once he has some more time in the system.”

Xavier Worthy had a long TD catch, but he also had some drops. Adonai Mitchell is good, and Johntay Cook and DeAndre Moore are going to be tough to keep off the field. They will have to rotate receivers this year, because they have four dudes (Worthy, Cook, Moore and Mitchell) who can roll and then also have (Jordan) Whittington. Isaiah Neyor didn’t take part in the scrimmage.”

• Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

“The defense was pretty salty in the red zone — very physical and tough to move up front. They had a heavy package where they put four defensive ends on the field together at the same time. It was Byron Murphy, T'Vondre Sweat, Vernon Broughton and Alfred Collins.”

“If I had to pick a standout on defense, I’d say the entire defensive line was the standout.”

“It wouldn’t shock me if Byron Murphy and T'Vondre Sweat have the same kind of years Moro Ojomo and Keondre Coburn had last year. Those two are a problem on the interior D-line.”

“No one really grabbed my attention at linebacker — probably because so many plays were being made at the line.”

Alternate version: the interior of the oline is getting it handed to them.

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If Vernon Broughton is looking like a standout in practice, it’s safe to say our interior OL sucks. 

Bobby has been pushing Bryant may replace Broughton as the 4th tackle in the rotation. That is based on Bryant being more reliable vs the run. 

Edited by Codaxx

15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

If we could stop playing Broughton on third and short and goal line situations that would be great. 

That would be nice, though at least they bumped him out to DE in the package the report mentioned.  I wouldnt mind a NASCAR package that had 2 of the 3 (Collins, Broughton, and Bledsoe) in at DT for passing situations. 

13 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

TFB 3/30 some recruiting stuff mixed in:

Snippet:

Mitchell has passed Cain

Blue has had best spring among running backs

Hill did not get first team reps.  Jett Bush holding him off

Reveal hidden contents

May be an image of text

May be an image of text

May be an image of text

May be an image of text

May be an image of text

May be an image of text

May be an image of text

"The Longhorns missed on every top CB target last cycle" 

Que?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

TFB 3/30 some recruiting stuff mixed in:

Snippet:

Mitchell has passed Cain

Blue has had best spring among running backs

Hill did not get first team reps.  Jett Bush holding him off

Waiting for this to trigger folks..

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ny68or4m60zy2w081y

• Haha 5

I don't know who DT is because I only trust CJ Vogel from TFB.

IT has been reporting that Jett Bush is the backup for Jaylen Ford with Gbenda currently in front of Anthony Hill for the other spot. They've also reported Gavin Holmes is the the best cover corner we have.

The only CB we whiffed on was Jacoby Matthews. Maybe you can count Javien Toviano, but he's listed as a safety and we signed Derek Williams for that role.

27 minutes ago, pyrofiend said:

I don't know who DT is because I only trust CJ Vogel from TFB.

IT has been reporting that Jett Bush is the backup for Jaylen Ford with Gbenda currently in front of Anthony Hill for the other spot. They've also reported Gavin Holmes is the the best cover corner we have.

The only CB we whiffed on was Jacoby Matthews. Maybe you can count Javien Toviano, but he's listed as a safety and we signed Derek Williams for that role.

DT is Bobby Kennedy special Darius Terrel is it not? That recruiting info is worthless.

1 hour ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

DT is Bobby Kennedy special Darius Terrel is it not? That recruiting info is worthless.

It is Terrell. His evaluations are definitely different than a lot of the sites, sometimes for better and sometimes for worse. I remember he was much higher on Cam Williams than pretty much everyone. He think Muhammad is a safety which is why he says we missed on all our corners. 

8 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

It is Terrell. His evaluations are definitely different than a lot of the sites, sometimes for better and sometimes for worse. I remember he was much higher on Cam Williams than pretty much everyone. He think Muhammad is a safety which is why he says we missed on all our corners. 

Not attacking you BB

But if the coaches think MM is a CB and recruited him as such then he's an idiot.

37 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

He weighs 175 lbs.

• Hook 'Em 1

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic