2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

2 hours ago, pyrofiend said:

I don't know who DT is because I only trust CJ Vogel from TFB.

IT has been reporting that Jett Bush is the backup for Jaylen Ford with Gbenda currently in front of Anthony Hill for the other spot. They've also reported Gavin Holmes is the the best cover corner we have.

The only CB we whiffed on was Jacoby Matthews. Maybe you can count Javien Toviano, but he's listed as a safety and we signed Derek Williams for that role.

One note about Holmes - really good, sticky cover corner. Nearly worthless in run support. He's not a lock to start even if he's untouchable in coverage.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, pyrofiend said:

The only CB we whiffed on was Jacoby Matthews. Maybe you can count Javien Toviano, but he's listed as a safety and we signed Derek Williams for that role.

I had to check the date to make sure it's not April 1st yet with this post 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Fud said:

Last night's War Room Article from Orangebloods had a loaded amount of sourced team info

Reveal hidden contents

Here are some quick nuggets:

--- I was told Murphy has been a full participant in practice this week.

--- Ja’Tavion Sanders is firmly entrenched at the No. 1 tight end. Gunnar Helm is currently the backup tight end. However, Juan Davis has caught the attention of multiple people inside the building recently.

--- The spring game format has not been determined yet.

Best part is that third bullet point was something that was publicly stated in a press conference yesterday

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fud said:

Last night's War Room Article from Orangebloods had a loaded amount of sourced team info

Reveal hidden contents

--- Ja’Tavion Sanders is firmly entrenched at the No. 1 tight end. Gunnar Helm is currently the backup tight end. However, Juan Davis has caught the attention of multiple people inside the building recently.

Juan Davis is a Mack Brown special at TE. He is really good athlete and will look great in passing sessions. I highly doubt he will ever be an in-line TE. 

10 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Darius Terrell may have played WR in H.S., but UT recruited him as a TE. So I doubt he was a Bobby Kennedy special.

Had nothing to do with the position he played. Kennedy and Chambers were his main recruiters. Kennedy was the recruiter for multiple kids that might have been targeted to become college tight ends that had no business doing so.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fud said:

Hide contents

$9.95 for all that? Damn inflation is a bitch.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Red Five said:

I also have team news to provide. I wasn't willing to share until I saw OB's nuggets.

-- Kelvin Banks is firmly entrenched as the starting left tackle.

Not true, Sark said there was competition at every position.

38 minutes ago, OB3 said:

IT Humidor

Hide contents

Following Thursday’s team work the defense continues to get the best of the offense. That’s a good thing, normal, and will likely continue well into August camp. The flaw on defense, though not fatal, remains Edge pass rushing. Two reasons it’s not fatal, the Edges are going up against great bookend tackles, and Ethan Burke is getting more and more reps at Buck in large part due to his ability to rush the passer. Burke is stronger than he was a year ago. He and Finkley are likely to find themselves in a timeshare at this point.

Overall, depth on the defense is another team strength. Cornerbacks are a good example of that depth. Malik Muhammadwas really good both in man coverage or zone. He also had a really good blitz on Arch Manning, and he was active on running plays as well. He’s the total package and probably the most advanced freshman of the 14 enrollees at this point. He would start at most (all?) Big 12 schools this Fall. 

The Kitan Crawford noise we’ve been reporting made its way into Steve Sarkisian‘s Thursday Zoom with the media. We’ve known since he was in high school he’s really fast, but now he’s playing fast. He can really cover space and close windows. Terrance Brooks also made plays on Thursday, getting his hands on a couple of passes. 

Up front the run defense by the D-line was very good. We know the first team, but on the second team they had Kristopher Ross, Alfred Collins, Aaron Bryant, and Justice Finkley together a lot and there weren’t many places for the running backs to go. Bryant is good at holding his ground and Collins made a few plays where he’d get into the backfield. The linebackers had a good time behind them and they’re also getting really good at timing their blitzes. Jett Bush is a much better pass-rusher from linebacker than as an end. He will be credible depth behind Jaylan Ford.

We don’t know if the D-line’s base pass rush from the edges is great but their blitz package has a chance to make up for it.

It was tough on the quarterbacks in full team scrimmage. Manning was hounded a lot but he did hit a deep corner route to a tight end that was really impressive.  

CJ Baxter definitely looks the part, he can run with some lean and be a problem to tackle. He had a score on an outside sweep behind Cameron Williams. He’s a smart runner.

Quinn Ewers is definitely a lot more comfortable in the passing game. He was able to get the ball out quickly and to open targets in the passing drills but he did have to check down a lot in team. There is no battle for starting quarterback but Arch is obviously talented and Maalik Murphyhas a decent idea of what he’s doing.

AD Mitchell‘s comfort in the offense improves by the practice and he’s mostly with the ones now. 
The O-line remains consistent with Kelvin Banks–Hayden Conner–Jake Majors–DJ Campbell–Christian Jones. Williams is the swing tackle and has received some looks at guard. Both Neto Umeozulu and Payton Kirklandcontinue to receive praise. Texas will have no problem being 8-9 deep this season, but this group needs more time together, specifically in the interior, before they start to play to their talent level.

Must be the offseason, since the Humidor is talking up Jett Bush for the 7th straight year. That is impressive, since he has been here for only 4

Edited by Codaxx
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, OB3 said:

IT Humidor

Reveal hidden contents

Following Thursday’s team work the defense continues to get the best of the offense. That’s a good thing, normal, and will likely continue well into August camp. The flaw on defense, though not fatal, remains Edge pass rushing. Two reasons it’s not fatal, the Edges are going up against great bookend tackles, and Ethan Burke is getting more and more reps at Buck in large part due to his ability to rush the passer. Burke is stronger than he was a year ago. He and Finkley are likely to find themselves in a timeshare at this point.

Overall, depth on the defense is another team strength. Cornerbacks are a good example of that depth. Malik Muhammadwas really good both in man coverage or zone. He also had a really good blitz on Arch Manning, and he was active on running plays as well. He’s the total package and probably the most advanced freshman of the 14 enrollees at this point. He would start at most (all?) Big 12 schools this Fall. 

The Kitan Crawford noise we’ve been reporting made its way into Steve Sarkisian‘s Thursday Zoom with the media. We’ve known since he was in high school he’s really fast, but now he’s playing fast. He can really cover space and close windows. Terrance Brooks also made plays on Thursday, getting his hands on a couple of passes. 

Up front the run defense by the D-line was very good. We know the first team, but on the second team they had Kristopher Ross, Alfred Collins, Aaron Bryant, and Justice Finkley together a lot and there weren’t many places for the running backs to go. Bryant is good at holding his ground and Collins made a few plays where he’d get into the backfield. The linebackers had a good time behind them and they’re also getting really good at timing their blitzes. Jett Bush is a much better pass-rusher from linebacker than as an end. He will be credible depth behind Jaylan Ford.

We don’t know if the D-line’s base pass rush from the edges is great but their blitz package has a chance to make up for it.

It was tough on the quarterbacks in full team scrimmage. Manning was hounded a lot but he did hit a deep corner route to a tight end that was really impressive.  

CJ Baxter definitely looks the part, he can run with some lean and be a problem to tackle. He had a score on an outside sweep behind Cameron Williams. He’s a smart runner.

Quinn Ewers is definitely a lot more comfortable in the passing game. He was able to get the ball out quickly and to open targets in the passing drills but he did have to check down a lot in team. There is no battle for starting quarterback but Arch is obviously talented and Maalik Murphyhas a decent idea of what he’s doing.

AD Mitchell‘s comfort in the offense improves by the practice and he’s mostly with the ones now. 
The O-line remains consistent with Kelvin Banks–Hayden Conner–Jake Majors–DJ Campbell–Christian Jones. Williams is the swing tackle and has received some looks at guard. Both Neto Umeozulu and Payton Kirklandcontinue to receive praise. Texas will have no problem being 8-9 deep this season, but this group needs more time together, specifically in the interior, before they start to play to their talent level.

Based on the various practice reports, it really sounds like the defense will be about the same as last year. I expect the secondary to improve but worry that even for all their shortcomings, linebacker and EDGE play will stay the same or even regress slightly with the loss of DMo and Ovie. Interior defensive line play should once again be high level. It could be huge if Catalon is healthy for even a few of @Bama, OU, @TCU and KSU. All this should absolutely be enough for us to play in the Big 12 CG. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NevaLost said:

Based on the various practice reports, it really sounds like the defense will be about the same as last year. I expect the secondary to improve but worry that even for all their shortcomings, linebacker and EDGE play will stay the same or even regress slightly with the loss of DMo and Ovie. Interior defensive line play should once again be high level. It could be huge if Catalon is healthy for even a few of @Bama, OU, @TCU and KSU. All this should absolutely be enough for us to play in the Big 12 CG. 

I don think DT will  be as good. They had the luxury of going almost 6 deep in their rotation (Broughton was the 6th guy). I am not sure there are 4 of equal ability, compared to last year. There wont be a drop in the starters,  but the depth is not the same. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Best part is that third bullet point was something that was publicly stated in a press conference yesterday

I heard that Ewers will likely get the starting job vs. Card at Texas.  But it is still a close battle.  Stay tuned for more.

46 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I don think DT will  be as good. They had the luxury of going almost 6 deep in their rotation (Broughton was the 6th guy). I am not sure there are 4 of equal ability, compared to last year. There wont be a drop in the starters,  but the depth is not the same. 

I think Bryant can give quality snaps in the rotation, and hopefully Mitchell works his way into that 6th man rotation as the season progresses. 

2 hours ago, NevaLost said:

I'm not worried about losing Ovie. Not trying to shit on the guy, but he was adequate at best. I'm hoping that mart, situational use of Finkley/Burke/Tapp will produce better results for our pass rush. As others have said, I think the interior line might regress somewhat - the starters will still be good, but there won't be as much talented depth. 

All that being said, coverage creates sacks. If our CBs are really as good as people are saying, the pass rush issue may solve itself. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My God!.....if we are worried that what we have coming in will not be as good as Ovie and Overshown then we are doomed to at best a 8 win cap for this team. We are not talking Nobis and Mc Michaels here we are talking guys that were adequate but never stellar. Oh Jesus! We are so fucked if what we have coming in is not miles ahead of those guys....

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

NSIAP: Savion Red has been working out. Holy crap.

Red looks nothing like a receiver. The snaps are there for the taking if he wants it. But wasn’t he the one that lost his shit on the sideline last year and almost fought a coach during a game? Or am I thinking of someone else. 

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I think Bryant can give quality snaps in the rotation, and hopefully Mitchell works his way into that 6th man rotation as the season progresses. 

I hope Bryant takes that step. I hope the Collins hype is real, because he can make my statement look stupid. He is that talented. It wasn’t a slam on anyone, but rolling Coburn, Ojomo, Murphy, and Sweat was a luxury.  Probably 4 guys that get drafted. Then you had Collins off the bench (NFL talent) with Broughton 6th. Seems unlikely the rotation this year will go 4 deep with no real drop in play. 

48 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Red looks nothing like a receiver. The snaps are there for the taking if he wants it. But wasn’t he the one that lost his shit on the sideline last year and almost fought a coach during a game? Or am I thinking of someone else. 

He was pissed at Marion.  I think during OkSt.

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic