2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

Bobby Burton adding a few notes on what he saw

The quick and dirty from the second day of Texas football practice…

Maalik Murphy still not participating in passing drills.

Keilan Robinson and Jon Brooks in uniform and on field. Still somewhat limited.

Savion Red and Ced Baxter continue to look extremely good in pass-catching drills. Jaydon Blue serving as gunner as well.

Along the defensive front, Barryn Sorrell and Justice Finkley are taking reps as the ones. Ethan Burke is running next. After that, J’Mond Tapp and Colton Vasek are mixing in.

Sorrell is clearly the best DE because of his combo of physicality and athleticism.

Jaray Bledsoe worked on the interior as Byron Murphy, T’Vondre Sweat, Alfred Collins and Vernon Broughton led the way.

In limited one on one work, Xavier Worthy looked good, drawing praise from Steve Sarkisian for a nice route and catch.

Quinn Ewers and Arch Manning continue to run one-two. Hard not to like the potential of the duo. Several NFL throws were made, but both are still developing.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Bobby Burton adding a few notes on what he saw

The quick and dirty from the second day of Texas football practice…

Maalik Murphy still not participating in passing drills.

Keilan Robinson and Jon Brooks in uniform and on field. Still somewhat limited.

Savion Red and Ced Baxter continue to look extremely good in pass-catching drills. Jaydon Blue serving as gunner as well.

Along the defensive front, Barryn Sorrell and Justice Finkley are taking reps as the ones. Ethan Burke is running next. After that, J’Mond Tapp and Colton Vasek are mixing in.

Sorrell is clearly the best DE because of his combo of physicality and athleticism.

Jaray Bledsoe worked on the interior as Byron Murphy, T’Vondre Sweat, Alfred Collins and Vernon Broughton led the way.

In limited one on one work, Xavier Worthy looked good, drawing praise from Steve Sarkisian for a nice route and catch.

Quinn Ewers and Arch Manning continue to run one-two. Hard not to like the potential of the duo. Several NFL throws were made, but both are still developing.

interesting that Bledsoe is working inside

15 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

IT’s Joe Cook reports Kris Ross was working with the Edges/EDGES/edges today, so maybe that’s why he’s 246 instead of 306 these days (or because he’s 246, that’s why he’s at Edge).

I think it's the latter and I don't think it's a good thing

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Wasn't Bledsoe always projected to the inside? If I remember he had the frame to add weight for interior.

He was. He is probably the most athletic DL also. There has been talk that he would play outside, because he is 266 pounds.  One poster mentioned that PK and Bo fought over his position (it appears Bo is winning). Gerry Hamilton says he is an NFL player and is really high on him. The only issue is he came in very raw and right now is a bit of tweener. 

Edited by Codaxx

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Johntay Cook II is one of the very best route runners the Longhorns have already. Tip of the hat to Margin Hooks for how terrific he is at what he does, and Cook for putting in the time to be ready to compete from day one. Color me shocked if Cook isn’t a factor this season, and from game one.

Also... smooch to the ass of a trainer who gives me access.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 3/6/2023 at 5:57 PM, tokamak said:

Seriously. Not one syllable matches what it sounded like in my head. 

Me neither, and I'm well spoken and understand global naming conventions, including U.S. Ebonics, which that ain't.

Even South Dallas and Baltimore are like, "Man, nrrr"

On 3/6/2023 at 8:56 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

we don't yet have a road-paving o-line that guarantees 100 yard rushers in every road game

we don't yet have a receiver room that never drops a catchable ball

we don't yet have kickers that are icy coffin corner nails from 55

we don't yet have DBs that merit the "U" moniker who shut down 3rd and long stopping opposing offenses that moved the ball at will between the 30s every game last year

we haven't yet proven we've reloaded the backfield and that is a TALL ORDER and the burden of proof on this one is VERY HIGH

we don't have a human-eating pass rush that puts the fear of god in opposing QBs and OCs that have to plan for it and design around it

cheer is a lost cause and pom has been down for a decade

anything else i've missed?

You missed Linebackers... Which is understandable, as we've been missing them for 15 years.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2
  • Drool 1

FCB notes on Torre Becton, team leaders, Sweat, Red's new role (wide-back), and Worthy's injury/Sark's POV:

Spoiler

The Insider: Football nuggets galore as Texas spring football gets going

I’m hearing Texas strength coach Torre Becton has been offered the same position with the Buffalo Bills.

I’m hearing Becton would likely stay in Austin if Texas shows him a little love, because he believes the Longhorns are about to break through and because he has four daughters he’d rather not uproot.

Becton recently had his contract extended at UT through February of 2025, but his $550,000 salary remained the same.

One of the biggest questions about any team heading into a new year revolves around leadership.

Steve Sarkisian mentioned Jerrin Thompson, Jaylan Ford, T'Vondre Sweat, Barryn Sorrell and Arkansas transfer safety Jalen Catalon on defense.

On offense, Sarkisian mentioned Jordan Whittington, Jake Majors, Christian Jones, Keilan Robinson and Xavier Worthy.

I’m surprised Sarkisian didn’t mention Ja'Tavion Sanders, because team sources say Sanders is stepping up as a vocal leader.

I asked some team sources about the guys listed above, and Sweat is easily one of the better turnaround stories for the Longhorns in the last two years.

Sweat found himself very frustrated following the 2020 season, when he not only underwent post-season shoulder surgery but also learned he’d have a third defensive coordinator in three years with Pete Kwiatkowski taking over in 2021 for Chris Ash (2020), who took over for Todd Orlando (2019).

Sweat eventually got on the same page with defensive line coach Bo Davis and now sees himself as a future NFL player who realizes the time is now to put in the work - not only for his future, but also for the team to contend for a conference championship in 2023.

“We saw Keondre Coburn and Moro Ojomo pushing people around last year,” said one team source. “Sweat knows with those two gone, it’s his time to deliver, to step up and to lead, and he’s doing that. He’s pushing guys like Vernon Broughton and Alfred Collins and providing an excellent example for a young guy like (early enrollee freshman) Sydir Mitchell.”

Don’t be surprised to see Savion Red developed into a Deebo Samuel-type role for the Longhorns as he makes the move from receiver to running back this season.

Samuel created a name for his role with the 49ers called “wide-back” - a receiver who plays running back. Red (5-10, 214) played receiver last year as a freshman, catching six passes for 34 yards, and has moved to running back this spring.

“When you really look at his body stature and structure, he’s kind of built more like a running back,” Steve Sarkisian said. “He carried the ball quite a bit as a high school quarterback, so I think it fits his game well.”

In two spring practices, Red has already provided some wow moments catching the football out of the backfield and putting moves on defenders.

“He spent a year playing wide receiver for us,” Sarkisian said.

“Now we're going to train him at running back. The goal is that we have a guy that can do both, that maybe we can put some pressure on defenses when he's on the field with where and what and how we are using him and with what formations we are going to be in.”

Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson were versatile enough that they could shift out of the backfield and line up as receivers. Sarkisian said he wants to make sure the offense maintains that versatility.

“We had a real luxury with with Roschon and Bijan,” Sarkisian said. “Those guys were natural route runners and could catch the ball and were very smart and could line up all over the field. We like that in our offense. So we have to generate that. We have to recreate that in different ways. And this is one of the ways that we can.”

11657340.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: © Taylor Estes, Horns247, 247Sports)

Yes, Steve Sarkisian’s response Monday was a little snippy on why he didn’t release information sooner about Xavier Worthy playing the second half of last season with “a broken hand.”

“Because I don’t have to tell you,” Sarkisian said. “And our opponents would have known, too. So we have a lot of injuries that can occur on our team that may not keep a player out that we don’t disclose to protect the player and to protect the program.”

But the bottom line is Sarkisian is all in on Worthy’s work ethic, commitment and toughness.

“Xavier is a great example of what it looks like to go to work every day and how to practice,” Sarkisian said. “We don’t have a guy who works harder - that’s the first guy on the field and the last guy off.”

In talking about Worthy’s injury - and the fact he’s recovered from it - Sarkisian basically said he believes Worthy is ready for a big year:

“Well, I think anytime you're a receiver, and you're playing with a broken hand, that's a pretty important aspect of your game,” Sarkisian said. “And that guy never wanted to sit out or not play. He came to work. He fought through it. There were days in practice where we purposely didn't throw him balls just to take some of the pressure off of it. But I think we're going to see a version of Xavier Worthy, that's going to be dramatically different now that he's healthy.”

• Hook 'Em 9

On 3/6/2023 at 12:37 PM, Atticus said:

246 lbs for Kris Ross is... less than ideal

On 3/6/2023 at 1:31 PM, ClubWhatever said:

Ross to LB

On 3/7/2023 at 11:26 AM, Burt Macklin said:

This is definitely not right. Ross has the athleticism to play strongside edge where Sorrell plays now. 

My recollection is that Ross was always a DL highly regarded for his quickness. Now, I could be making that up as I don't follow recruiting super closely; but if that's the case a guy at 6'2" 245 with a quick first step and interior DL physicality is something you can work with. Not at DL, his weight isn't going to allow that, but on the edge.

On 3/6/2023 at 10:19 PM, Vermin said:

So is Arch gonna be starting by OU or what

I'm sure OU would be thrilled to never see Quinn again.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 3/8/2023 at 10:58 AM, SydneyCarton said:

God I force myself to come here as it might be a repository of news that I don't get elsewhere, and then I see Josef Pawg posting and I want to kill a man just to watch him die. Fuck me, fucking football board. 

Grandpa Simpson Walk In Walk Out GIFs | Tenor

Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

47 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I rarely neg but this post should be negged to Bolivia 

I'd have to take him off ignore to do that, and I just can't be bothered

• Hook 'Em 1

Crazy an ankle injury lasting over a year
That really is crazy considering his age and early enrollment means over a year of some of the best medical, nutrition, rehab and S&C someone could possibly get. It must have been really bad at the time or there was some sort of reinjury setback.
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, TheRRKid said:

Am I not remembering correctly or was a scooter accident + injury mentioned for Murphy?

He got injured in a HS playoff game

Edit: apparently he also injured his wrist in a scooter accident last fall

Edited by Nope
  • Rage+1 2

Practice notes from Joe Cook, with virtually no new information. 

Before the Texas Longhorns take a hiatus from the Frank Denius Fields for spring break, Steve Sarkisian’s team had one more practice to take care of on Friday, and this one was in full pads. Inside Texas just finished a brief 20-minute viewing window ahead of the rest of a padded practice. Here are a few notes from the quick look.

With most of the team fully dressed for football, the handful of players who weren’t or alternatively weren’t full participants stood out. That included Keilan Robinson (Sarkisian said strain on Monday), Jonathon Brooks (offseason sports hernia surgery), Isaiah Neyor (knee), Jaylon Guilbeau (knee), Connor Robertson (hand), Cole Hutson (shoulder), and Maalik Murphy (foot).

Jalen Catalon (shoulder) was not seen during the window. DeAndre Moore Jr., who was not spotted at Wednesday’s practice, appeared to be a full participant on Friday and had no visible brace or additional equipment. He did look a bit ginger compared to other receivers, but took every rep in the limited viewing window.

Practice had a familiar look. Stretch was followed by a period where most of the team worked on tackling pads dragged by managers. Offensive and defensive linemen did individual drill work at this time, as did the quarterbacks. There were several drills focused on tackling during the period, but most involved pads as opposed to contact with other players. This was followed by the regular ball security drill.

Texas then went through a special teams period focusing on punt. Once again, returners were Xavier Worthy, Johntay Cook, DeAndre Moore Jr., and AD Mitchell. Some of the gunners on punt team were Jaydon Blue and Kitan Crawford.

Sarkisian was fired up for the first day of full pads. One player didn’t have his helmet on as he was going from drill to drill. Sark yelled at the player to put his helmet on, but he likely didn’t hear him over the music. He then got pretty amped up after it took three times for the veteran player to finally hear his head coach’s instructions, and that was indicative of the energy practice had early.

That energy was needed for the tackling drills. The familiar padded tackle wheel was rolled out, and defensive players had to go through a lowered chute in order to get to the wheel. The emphasized staying low and driving while wrapping for the EDGEs and linebackers.

Here’s another run through the offensive skill depth chart at a handful of positions from various drills.

QB: Quinn Ewers, Arch Manning, Charles Wright, Cole Lourd, Joe Tatum

RB: Jaydon Blue, CJ Baxter, Ky Woods, Savion Red, Colin Page, Anton Simieou

TE: Ja’Tavion Sanders, Gunnar Helm, Patrick Bayouth, Juan Davis, Gus Asel

ZWR: Xavier Worthy, Johntay Cook, Jaden Alexis

XWR: Casey Cain, AD Mitchell, Thatcher Milton

HWR: Jordan Whittington, DeAndre Moore Jr., Hamilton McMartin, Remy Patson

Two recruits spotted were 2025 QB Kevin Sperry and 2025 OT Lamont Rogers.

Steve Sarkisian will be available later this morning.

• Hook 'Em 2

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic