2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

16 minutes ago, immamac said:

This team lost to Texas Tech last season and finished with the same record, lost it's best tandem in the NCAA backfield since Darren McFadden and Felix Jones. Lets cool the mother fucking jets.

Ok, if you are pessimistic, then I am optimistic!   

Joe Cook article on Blackwell

Spoiler

Texas needs a new Will linebacker, and Morice Blackwell is striving to fill that role
Joe Cook

Morice Blackwell (Photo by John Rivera/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
There’s a competition to replace do-it-all defender DeMarvion Overshown at the weakside inside linebacker position for the Texas Longhorns, and another versatile athlete is in contention to step in for the NFL-bound linebacker.

[Get Inside Texas Plus until 8/31 for just $29.99!]

Third-year player Morice Blackwell is in the competition to play alongside Mike linebacker Jaylan Ford as part of Texas’ off-ball tandem. The one-time safety and full-time special teams impact-maker drew praise from Longhorns head coach Steve Sarkisian after Texas’ fourth spring practice on Tuesday.

“Mo is interesting,” Sarkisian said. “I was looking at his weight today, and he was 215. DeMarvion kind of fluctuated just above 215, just about into the 220 range. Naturally, Mo’s maturing and as we mature and you really dedicate yourself to your diet and what you’re doing, I think we’re starting to see the transformation in him.

“He’s a heck of a player. I love the competitive nature of Mo. We asked a lot of him as a true freshman on special teams. He plays violent. He plays tough. I think he plays the way we want to play football, and he provides a lot of versatility.”

Overshown was a mainstay at Will LB over the past few seasons for Texas, but he also was utilized as an EDGE rusher and a space defender depending on the situation in 2022.

Blackwell tried to carve out a role at safety last spring, but the steep learning curve at that position made the secondary a no-go for the Arlington (Texas) Martin product. He ended up playing on a number of special teams units and as the Sam linebacker whenever Texas was in base defense last year, which was an infrequent occurrence as compared to when the Longhorns were in nickel personnel.

Instead of playing in the secondary, Blackwell could play a role similar to that of Overshown’s last season. Most of Overshown’s snaps were as an off-ball linebacker, but he also lined up on the EDGE with regularity. Plus, defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski wasn’t afraid to use D-Mo in coverage every now and then, in addition to his regular kickoff team, punt return, and field goal block responsibilities on Jeff Banks‘ special teams.

SPONSORED CONTENT
Explore These 7 Mississippi Towns for Your Ideal Adult Spring Break
By Mississippi Development Authority

[Sign up NOW for the Inside Texas newsletter for Texas Longhorns daily updates and breaking news in your inbox!]

As Sarkisian mentioned, the two weighed around 220 pounds during the season. Blackwell could follow in Overshown’s footsteps as defender with a variety of responsibilities in the coming campaign.

“He is working at the weak inside linebacker spot, but we’re playing him at Sam in base defense,” Sarkisian said of Blackwell. “But he’s really good coming off the Edge. He’s really good on special teams. He’s really intentional about the way he plays the game.”

Blackwell saw most of his snaps on special teams last year, with 190 of his 263 snaps in the third phase according to Pro Football Focus. His conventional down snaps included 39 on the EDGE as part of his Sam LB responsibilities, 18 plays in the box, and 16 snaps outside the box.

Learning how to play in the middle will be an adjustment, especially when it comes to replacing a first-team All-Big 12 linebacker like Overshown. However, it’s an area where Sarkisian has seen progress in recent weeks.

In addition to Blackwell, Sarkisian praised fellow ILBs Jett Bush, David Gbenda, Liona Lefau, and Anthony Hill. He called linebacker a position where Texas feels like it has “got a lot of depth there.”

Blackwell is one of the candidates to replace Overshown, but no matter who takes over for Agent 0, Sarkisian has confidence that he’ll be a competent replacement.

“So it’s a very strong position for us not only defensively, but that linebacking corps is critical to our success on special teams as well,” Sarkisian said. “D-Mo provided a lot on (special) teams for us. We feel good about it. I think it’s a real positive right

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Texas is going to field the best team it's had since 2008 in the upcoming season. They will be relevant in the playoff discussion, beat Bama in Tuscaloosa, and win the conference. Take off your protective, wet blanketed armor of maudlin self-loathing, get your shit together, and gear the fuck up, pussies.

That may be, but annointing them after a week and a half of spring practice is fucking stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Texas is going to field the best team it's had since 2008 in the upcoming season. 

So...better han the 2009 team that lost in the championship game? 

I'd agree that '08 > '09 but 13-1 ain't bad

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Texas is going to field the best team it's had since 2008 in the upcoming season. They will be relevant in the playoff discussion, beat Bama in Tuscaloosa, and win the conference. Take off your protective, wet blanketed armor of maudlin self-loathing, get your shit together, and gear the fuck up, pussies.

Something something gargle

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Black Widow Avengers GIF

• Haha 2

Who are you and what have you done with CTJ

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

hold-on-wait-a-minute.gif

• Haha 7

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah I agree, this should be the year to do it IMO.

I was listening to Gerry and either Bobby or Justin Wells talk about something the other day with regards to the new class and last years class. It was about how smooth and fast they were with their movements and bodies. They said they haven't seen a Texas team look like that on the practice field since 2000s Mack. Just effortlessly smooth athletes essentially.

My sources are telling me that spring practice reminds them most of 2013 Florida State. 

• Haha 2

I'll be in my bunk. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

someone erection GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

In this scenario, we would also need to play in a new conference. Because I can pretty much guarantee the Big 12 won’t let us win on the way out.

When you beat the fuck out of everyone in the conference like we did in 2005 refs can’t alter the outcome of the game with a few call here and there.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

that was 2004

After the 2005 game that was 52-0 at half, Mangino had been humbled as if the Iron Sheik had put him in a Cobra Clutch

“I want to tell you what an impressive football team the University of Texas has,” said KU coach Mark Mangino, whose 5-5, 2-5 Big 12 was in danger of suffering the worst loss in program history at halftime. “I do not think I have ever been on a field where I have seen so many big, strong, fast and talented kids.”

“This is an impressive football team and I want to tip my cap to them and Mac Brown for a great game and a great season that they have going,” Mangino continued. “We did not play as well as we should have, but a lot of that had to do with Texas.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, immamac said:

This team lost to Texas Tech last season and finished with the same record, lost it's best tandem in the NCAA backfield since Darren McFadden and Felix Jones. Lets cool the mother fucking jets.

Counterpoint:

This team lost to tech in overtime on the road with a backup QB who is no longer with the program.

Quinn was 5-2 in conference play with a road loss stinker in Stillwater and a home loss stinker to the team who wound up in the CFP title game. Even then we lost by a combined 14 points to two top 10 teams (at the time). 

My jets are going to be going full blast all year and I am going to burn a thujone penis into your yard. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Damn it! This is worse than a Ketch crystal ball. 

See you guys in 2024.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

giphy.gif

30 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yes, the 2008 team was better than the 2009 team and this team easily has a better OL than the 2009 team. Give me 2023, you fucking pinerches. 

and they're sophomores

That's my favorite bit of all this.

point out to those old losers who won't pay up to Texas One that every game we win is due to the goddamned Pancake Factory

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic