2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

2 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I think on the last IT podcast with Bobby and Justin that Justin mentioned some issues with Campbell. Like, maturity and attitude problems that were ongoing. I take this as a pretty bad sign - maybe Campbell has already told them he's going to the portal? Maybe he's pissed that he's still competing for reps? Justin was pretty definitive that as soon as Hutson comes back that he is starting at either G or C. 

I remember the talk of Hutson coming back and getting his spot back.. but I missed the news on DJ having issues

7 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I remember the talk of Hutson coming back and getting his spot back.. but I missed the news on DJ having issues

It was On Texas, not IT. Got it mixed up. Here's the video timestamp: 

Wells said that the staff is pushing Campbell's buttons and that he and Cam are under the needle / under the microscope. 

Edit: Wells also says it's more about Campbell's maturity than anything. I guess I'm trying to read between the lines, but it sounds to me like he's not stepping up and they're using Cam Williams to push him. If he's not playing on Saturday, I take that to mean he hasn't shown the maturity they want to see.

Edited by Park Gothic
  • Hook 'Em 2

We should probably immediately panic on the DJ news and assume either he's entering the portal to aggy or he's contact a life threatening flesh eating bacterial disease or something like that... maybe it's contagious?  So many things to worry about.

A good point I thought @Scipiomade on one of his podcasts about Catalon was "what if he locks down all the first team reps and stunts some of the other guys development time over the spring and fall camp and then is out for the year in the 2nd quarter of the Bama game- that would be the worst of all situations.  He's an experienced upper classmen that's a pro. He can probably get all he needs doing mental reps and evaluations right now- it's probably for the best that he's not playing.  No sense using it up during practice with a guy that needs to be wrapped in bubble wrap. I wouldn't mind seeing the same thing happen with Whittington as a 5th year senior with his injury history.  

• Hook 'Em 6

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

We should probably immediately panic on the DJ news and assume either he's entering the portal to aggy or he's contact a life threatening flesh eating bacterial disease or something like that... maybe it's contagious?  So many things to worry about.

We can speculate about what things mean without it being a panic. That's 90% of why I'm here. I don't mind at all if people disagree with me, but it makes for better conversation if you explain why rather than just assume I'm dooming uncontrollably. 

7 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

We can speculate about what things mean without it being a panic. That's 90% of why I'm here. I don't mind at all if people disagree with me, but it makes for better conversation if you explain why rather than just assume I'm dooming uncontrollably. 

I was just messing around man, no offense intended. 
I assume he's not playing because he's a bit dinged up at the end of spring practice- absent hearing something else that would be my go to assumption. He's in the top 8 pretty clearly which means he's right there. Might be in the top 5. I can't imagine he's leaving, with that set up- but who knows, maybe.

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I assume he's not playing because he's a bit dinged up at the end of spring practice- absent hearing something else that would be my go to assumption. He's in the top 8 pretty clearly which means he's right there. Might be in the top 5. I can't imagine he's leaving, with that set up- but who knows, maybe.

He has been running with the ones all spring, it wouldn't make any sense for him to transfer out unless it was becoming obvious he can't hold the spot. I would be very surprised if that were the case.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I think on the last IT podcast with Bobby and Justin that Justin mentioned some issues with Campbell. Like, maturity and attitude problems that were ongoing. I take this as a pretty bad sign - maybe Campbell has already told them he's going to the portal? Maybe he's pissed that he's still competing for reps? Justin was pretty definitive that as soon as Hutson comes back that he is starting at either G or C. 

The podcast I saw mentioned that he's very very inconsistent....one day he looks great and the next looks really bad. I don't think it had to do with attitude or maturity. 

28 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

The interesting part of that is from what I recall them mentioning that they could throw him into competition with Majors at center.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

A good point I thought @Scipiomade on one of his podcasts about Catalon was "what if he locks down all the first team reps and stunts some of the other guys development time over the spring and fall camp and then is out for the year in the 2nd quarter of the Bama game- that would be the worst of all situations.  He's an experienced upper classmen that's a pro. He can probably get all he needs doing mental reps and evaluations right now- it's probably for the best that he's not playing.  No sense using it up during practice with a guy that needs to be wrapped in bubble wrap. I wouldn't mind seeing the same thing happen with Whittington as a 5th year senior with his injury history.  

In the players interview they said Catalon was teaching them things and picked up the defense quickly due to his experience.

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

In the players interview they said Catalon was teaching them things and picked up the defense quickly due to his experience.

Yeah that's not a surprise at all. He didn't need this spring. Other guys did. I think it's probably as simple as that.  

• Hook 'Em 4

39 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

It was On Texas, not IT. Got it mixed up. Here's the video timestamp: 

Wells said that the staff is pushing Campbell's buttons and that he and Cam are under the needle / under the microscope. 

Edit: Wells also says it's more about Campbell's maturity than anything. I guess I'm trying to read between the lines, but it sounds to me like he's not stepping up and they're using Cam Williams to push him. If he's not playing on Saturday, I take that to mean he hasn't shown the maturity they want to see.

On Texas is IT 

They can push the buttons without it meaning a maturity or mental issue. It just means they're creating competition and pushing him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

On Texas is IT 

They can push the buttons without it meaning a maturity or mental issue. It just means they're creating competition and pushing him. 

The way I took what they were saying is they're pushing both of those guys to take the next step and take control of the position. 

26 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You're probably right and I'm just being pessimistic. That '22 OL haul was so stacked I'm having trouble believing we'll hold onto all of them. It's probably also not great that I immediately assumed it was an attitude / maturity issue rather than injury, but what Wells said on the podcast the other day really threw me off. 

6 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Not to be a doomer, but didn't CTJ say to expect more o-line portal attrition, and we won't like it? I don't remember if it was here or the portal thread. I took that bit to mean Williams, not Campbell..

Yes.. but i would think Cam Williams is staying.. he looks to be the next man up at Guard and RT.  I also see him playing Karic's role of a season ago at TE

Yes.. but i would think Cam Williams is staying.. he looks to be the next man up at Guard and RT.  I also see him playing Karic's role of a season ago at TE

It could mean a number of guys. That monster 22 class was always going to have attrition. Simple math. We’ll just have to see how it plays out.

Edit: was supposed to be quoting @BornAndRaised
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

So what I gather from this page is the Football board put its best minds together and came up with Campbell having maturity issues and likely going to portal because he’s not playing in the Spring game . . . because of a wrist injury and despite him running with the ones all spring. Never change, Football board, never change. 

Ever hear the expression “you’re not in traffic, you are traffic”?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

So what I gather from this page is the Football board put its best minds together and came up with Campbell having maturity issues and likely going to portal because he’s not playing in the Spring game . . . because of a wrist injury and despite him running with the ones all spring. Never change, Football board, never change. 

don't forget concluding that Catalon is too awesome and experienced to need spring practice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Wasn't Catalon's shoulder given a clean bill of health before he got here? I'm pretty sure he practiced one day and was then shelved the rest of the spring. 
He's already been through a few fall/winter/spring workouts before reaching campus..not to mention being a starting safety when healthy. No reason to risk it before the season just to satisfy surly denizens who want to see him play this Saturday.

Maybe I'm reading between the lines too much but, from Sark's presser, it didn't seem like it's a forgone conclusion for Brooks to get the lion's share of carries this season. Or maybe he will but Baxter will be like a 1B option, similar to Roschon last season. 

I figured Roschon was given that role because he was just uncanny, uncommon depth, but maybe having a RB 1-2 punch is just how Sark likes to play. The spring game will be telling re: who that next guy is.

Maybe I'm reading between the lines too much but, from Sark's presser, it didn't seem like it's a forgone conclusion for Brooks to get the lion's share of carries this season. Or maybe he will but Baxter will be like a 1B option, similar to Roschon last season. 

I figured Roschon was given that role because he was just uncanny, uncommon depth, but maybe having a RB 1-2 punch is just how Sark likes to play. The spring game will be telling re: who that next guy is.
He's made the point several times that he always has a 1k yard rusher in his offense and that's something he wants. Whichever RB shows signs of being able to achieve that will receive the lions share of carries..no matter if it's Brooks, Baxter, Blue, whoever. I think we can agree Robinson (the one still with us) isn't going to be that guy, no idea how he gets a lot of snaps at RB with a stacked room, but he's great depth when the nagging injuries start slowing the big horses down a bit.
  • Like 1

I said in the other thread but them talking about Sark outkicking his coverage with his wife and the one guy saying "he punted the hell outta that ball" was hilarious. Some good insight in that video as well from Sark.

Him calling his brother n law to talk about how the team looks like a team he wants this year vs the last two is interesting. 

The players entering the portal are no longer welcome back to the team.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yeah Jaydon Blue really tapdanced around that one.

It there is a guy that we want/need, we are going to try to convince him to stay - preferably before he enters the portal, like Worthy - but if it has to happen after declaring, we aren't going to just give up.

For one, that’s just modern football in general. 70-80 snaps a game is going to get multiple guys involved.

Beyond that, Sark’s system wants to feature both a power running game and running backs involved in the passing game. Not necessarily a lot of guys who are pluses for both of those like Bijan and RoJo, again favoring a timeshare.

33 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

It's hard not to like and root like hell for Sark. He owes up to his past and learned from it. He knows what great teams look like in terms of physicality, attitude, scheme/responsibility knowledge, and maturity. His saying that this year's team finally looks and walks like his team has me buying whole sections of seats on the motherfucking bus.

That was a GREAT hour of discussion on college football, the University of Texas, and life.

Very thankful for that video.

lol that was straight up a recruiting pitch and I don't think he was real about much in that interview. Says all the coach speak shit and tells some story that is pre-approved and packaged for consumption. It was good, well delivered and natural though. 

I am still not sold on ole steve.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

lol that was straight up a recruiting pitch and I don't think he was real about much in that interview. Says all the coach speak shit and tells some story that is pre-approved and packaged for consumption. It was good, well delivered and natural though. 

I am still not sold on ole steve.

96d3f700-968d-4158-974c-614abbf57c33_tex

i keed. but your "not sold" is bordering on psycho if you think that was all fake.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6