2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

Bobby and SkippyO calling Urban a failure in the NFL is rich. Urban took over a failed team from a failed coach and won three times as many games, the last one after being fired.

But Saban His Own Self was a failure in the NFL by the same tokens, the last being idiot owners who - like so many of them - refused Nick's advice to go get Drew Brees (recovering from a shoulder injury and released by San Diiego) and instead got Daunte Culpepper, recoverng from a serious knee injury . Then they told Saban "Here's your new QB, now win, dammit."

voice-over: as we know, he didn't.

I don't see much difference, other than my preference for Urban at this point. YMMV.

3 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Bobby and SkippyO calling Urban a failure in the NFL is rich. Urban took over a failed team from a failed coach and won three times as many games, the last one after being fired.

But Saban His Own Self was a failure in the NFL by the same tokens, the last being idiot owners who - like so many of them - refused Nick's advice to go get Drew Brees (recovering from a shoulder injury and released by San Diiego) and instead got Daunte Culpepper, recoverng from a serious knee injury . Then they told Saban "Here's your new QB, now win, dammit."

I don't see much difference, other than my preference for Urban at this point. YMMV.

he was absolutely, unequivocally a failed NFL coach.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/urban-meyers-firing-puts-him-in-this-unimpressive-club-of-nfl-coaches-who-got-dumped-after-one-year-or-less/

it's happened 17 times in 28 seasons where a coach is 1 and done..

• 1994: Pete Carroll, Jets (6-10)
  • 1997: Joe Bugel, Raiders (4-12)
  • 1999: Ray Rhodes, Packers (8-8)
  • 2000: Al Groh, Jets (9-7)
  • 2001: Marty Schottenheimer, Washington (8-8)
  • 2006: Art Shell, Raiders (2-14)
  • 2007: Cam Cameron, Dolphins (1-15)
  • 2007: Bobby Petrino, Falcons (3-10)
  • 2009: Jim Mora, Seahawks (5-11)
  • 2011: Hue Jackson, Raiders (8-8)
  • 2012: Mike Mularkey, Jaguars (2-14)
  • 2013: Rob Chudzinski, Browns (4-12)
  • 2015: Jim Tomsula, 49ers (5-11)
  • 2016: Chip Kelly, 49ers (2-14)
  • 2018: Steve Wilks, Cardinals (3-13)
  • 2021: Urban Meyer, Jaguars (2-11)

now, how many of those guys were fired in season during year 1? (only Meyer, Petrino resigned to go to Arkansas lol)

Meyer went 2-11, a .154 win%. The Jags didn't even fire Mike Mularkey (who went 2-14) until after the season.

Saban's NFL record coaching was 15-17, a 46.9 win%. Meyer had a 15.4 win%

Urban Meyer is, by most measures, the largest failure as a NFL coach in the Salary Cap era.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Tex Long said:

NIL and the portal have made Urban’s motivational techniques irrelevant.  His entire coaching philosophy in college was based on having the power to control the player’s futures.  That fear-based shit didn’t work in the NFL because the players were on a somewhat equal financial playing field.  It won’t work in college anymore, because the guys are getting paid and can transfer without penalty if they get tired of playing for a dick.  He’s a dinosaur.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

You forgot the part where he was such a massive douche to the players that there was a mutiny in the locker room, nobody listened to him, he kicked a punter (and likely a puppy), and decided to not ride the team plane home from a game, but instead he went to go hang out at a bar in a college town with a side piece in public. Also he was fired for cause for being so incredibly incompetent at his job in every aspect after less than 1 season. Not even Bobby Petrino managed to do that.  

image.thumb.jpeg.30100cfee771ef78ff3e933aa69ec70e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

The extra hate couldnt have anything to do with the shenanigans surrounding Texas trying to hire him as a HC. No. Thatd be silly. 

Kinda like using the usual internet tactic of : well you said this about that guy, b7t what about the rest of the world?  Why havent you used you 10 seconds of podcast time to talk about everyone else in the world? And if you dont, that makes your comment irrelevant. 

Do better. 

2 hours ago, CashMcCoy said:

CBS Post-Spring QB Power Ranking

Save you a click:

1. Caleb Williams

2. Drake Maye

3. Quinn Ewers

I think this offseason most of the CFB media has finally realized that claiming Texas will be good will get them even more engagement than saying we suck again.

Well that and realizing that QBs seem to improve with a season under their belt 

On 5/9/2023 at 10:04 AM, Tex Long said:

Holy shit an Urban Meyer NFL defender. I didn’t know you people even existed. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Forgot Texas gets JT Daniels again...

Screenshot_20230512-033339_kindlephoto-13724819.png.385d7ae489f1c03213599ced9fb8bc2d.png

Rice will open at Texas in 2023. If  JT Daniels wins the starting job at Rice, he would register his third career start at Texas for his third different school. He played in Austin in 2018 while at USC and started this past season there with West Virginia.

Well-traveled quarterback JT Daniels has committed to transfer to Rice, sources told ESPN.  Daniels, a former national high school player of the year, will move to his fourth college home. He has played at USC, Georgia and West Virginia, going a combined 17-12 as a starter.

The appeal of competing in a pro-style system at Rice under coach Mike Bloomgren and offensive coordinator Marques Tuiasosopo proved appealing to Daniels, according to sources.

There's a familiarity between Daniels and Bloomgren, who began recruiting the quarterback when he was a high school freshman in 2015. Back then, Bloomgren served as Stanford's offensive coordinator. Bloomgren also attempted to recruit Daniels to Rice the previous two times he transferred. When Tuiasosopo was an assistant at multiple schools in the Pac-12, he also recruited Daniels.

Daniels started 10 games for West Virginia this past season, throwing for 2,107 yards and 13 touchdowns. At Georgia, Daniels went 3-0 as a starter during the Bulldogs' national title campaign in 2021, including the season-opening win over Clemson.

Daniels, who will turn 23 in February, has generally been a productive player in college, throwing for 6,947 yards and 45 touchdowns. After a breakout true freshman year at USC in 2018, throwing for 2,672 yards, injuries derailed each of his next three seasons.

The move should be a boon to Rice, as Daniels will be the highest-rated recruit to play there since ESPN began recruiting rankings in 2006, according to ESPN Stats & Information research. Daniels was ESPN's No. 64 overall recruit in 2018.

Rice has struggled to find consistency at the quarterback position, starting five different signal-callers over the past two years. None posted a QBR higher than 47. They had a combined completion rate of 59%, per ESPN Stats & Info. For his career, Daniels has a total QBR of 70 and has completed 63% of his passes.

Rice projects to return starters at every position other than quarterback and center. That includes star wide receiver Luke McCaffrey, who projects as the program's top offensive target after 723 yards receiving this year. He is the younger brother of San Francisco 49ers running back and former Stanford star Christian McCaffrey.

Daniels will arrive with a 2023 recruiting class considered the best in school history, with a talent uptick indicative of the increased competition that comes with Rice jumping from Conference USA to the American Athletic Conference next year. The AAC will be the fourth conference that Daniels has played in, along with the Pac-12, SEC and Big 12.

Rice is coming off the school's first bowl game since 2014 and just its 13th in more than a century of football.

Rice will open at Texas in 2023. If Daniels wins the starting job at Rice, he would register his third career start at Texas for his third different school. He played in Austin in 2018 while at USC and started this past season there with West Virginia.

Texas Football Mood Tracker | Post-Spring Update (Late Kick Cut)

4 days ago

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Probably the guy at TCU who, before he got hurt, won the job over Dugan.

Chandler Morris is actually kind of shitty. Howard and Daniels are probably the best QB’s we play this year. 

What about the opposite? Which team has the shittiest QB? Wyoming and Alabama come to mind. 

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

Chandler Morris is actually kind of shitty. Howard and Daniels are probably the best QB’s we play this year. 

What about the opposite? Which team has the shittiest QB? Wyoming and Alabama come to mind. 

I heard Bobby say this week that every team in the B12 has a returning starter/transfer who started at QB except TCU. That should make for a bit more scoring this year I would think.

2 hours ago, ousux said:
2 hours ago, speed817 said:
Apparently him and AD are training down there

Hmm, they both from the greater Houston area? Makes a bit more sense if they want to spend some time at home.

Mitchell is from Missouri City. Neyor is from Arlington. Given their NIL deals, they can afford to get an apartment near a trainer they like.

• Hook 'Em 2

Mitchell is from Missouri City. Neyor is from Arlington. Given their NIL deals, they can afford to get an apartment near a trainer they like.
Ahh, the trainer factor. I thought it would be odd if they were working out at UH facilities (admittedly nicer than the bubble) on their own unless they were from Houston and staying with fam over the summer.