2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

6 hours ago, Nuge said:

Chryst was considered a premier OL coach at one time, right?  Seems like a good addition to the room.

Mack offered him OC when Boom and the big cigars made Mack dump GDGD, but something smelled fishy and Chryst turned it down.

7 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Mack offered him OC when Boom and the big cigars made Mack dump GDGD, but something smelled fishy and Chryst turned it down.

Why would Mack and the big cigars have cared what the head coach of Florida wanted? 

Edited by Viper

15 hours ago, Nuge said:

Chryst was considered a premier OL coach at one time, right?  Seems like a good addition to the room.

He got canned at Wisconsin more for having less than zero interest in the multimedia circus of modern recruiting than his football coaching chops. For an overqualified analyst he'd be an excellent hire.

Edited by texifornia

10 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Damn. I’d forgot all about him being a name in that circus.

I do think it’s a good move. We get a good mind for analytics, and wiscy foots most of the bill. 

Win win, right?

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Viper said:

Why would Mack and the big cigars have cared what the head coach of Florida wanted? 

Ya got me, there. I don't know whether your response is misplacedly clever, or just stupid. The time-frame is GDGD fired, Boom wanted Holgorsen as new OC, and silver-tongue Mack pointed out that Holgo was divorced, lived in a hotel, drank too much, gambled, and was alleged to keep company with college-age female companions. The horror! Mack wanted Chryst, and was allowed to offer Chryst. Chryst visited, said he needed to talk to Miz Chryst about the move, went home and didn't call back (allegedly). Mack waited a few days and called Chryst, who said it just wasn't a good fit for him and hung up. It was widely reported that when Chryst was asked by writers and talking heads why he would pass up the World's Greatest Football program, he said "A fish rots from the head, down." Then Mack went and hired Harsin, which I thought at the time was a good move, but Mack had a custom saddle made and forced Harsin to carry Applwhite around on his shoulders. Boom said "Fuck this shit," and left to take over from Urban.

It worked out so well for all - We and Florida are still fumbling around in the dark, Harsin and Muschamp got their HC jobs and failed. Chryst was moderately successful at Wiscy, but apparently refused to go along with the changing times. 

All things considered, I believe Chryst will be a good hire as an Analyst. 

• Hook 'Em 9

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Ya got me, there. I don't know whether your response is misplacedly clever, or just stupid. The time-frame is GDGD fired, Boom wanted Holgorsen as new OC, and silver-tongue Mack pointed out that Holgo was divorced, lived in a hotel, drank too much, gambled, and was alleged to keep company with college-age female companions. The horror! Mack wanted Chryst, and was allowed to offer Chryst. Chryst visited, said he needed to talk to Miz Chryst about the move, went home and didn't call back (allegedly). Mack waited a few days and called Chryst, who said it just wasn't a good fit for him and hung up. It was widely reported that when Chryst was asked by writers and talking heads why he would pass up the World's Greatest Football program, he said "A fish rots from the head, down." Then Mack went and hired Harsin, which I thought at the time was a good move, but Mack had a custom saddle made and forced Harsin to carry Applwhite around on his shoulders. Boom said "Fuck this shit," and left to take over from Urban.

It worked out so well for all - We and Florida are still fumbling around in the dark, Harsin and Muschamp got their HC jobs and failed. Chryst was moderately successful at Wiscy, but apparently refused to go along with the changing times. 

All things considered, I believe Chryst will be a good hire as an Analyst. 

I assumed @Viper's post in response to something "smelling fishy" was a joke about McElwain fucking a shark, but then I realized the dates didn't line up. 

imagine Boom was ready to take over and have Dana as his OC here...
Even though hindsight has proven neither of them are wizards of the game, I still would have liked to seen that. Could it really have been worse than the past decade+? If Mack had stepped down when he was supposed to, recruiting wouldn't have fallen off a cliff and Boom may have actually pulled a Chizik/Ogre/Bilbo aggins and out talented his way to at least one national title before we kicked him to the curb for the next great Texas coach.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Recruiting fell off well before that, it's almost as if Mack started phoning it in after getting the national championship.  The backbone of that 2009 team was guys who committed before the 06 Rose Bowl, including some small town 3 star QB that Mack really only wanted as a backup to Ryan Perrilloux.  Once those guys graduated it was look out below.
Muschamp dodged a bullet by mack going back on his plan to retire after 2009.  If that happens, Muschamp has a shitty 2010 right after mack had led us to the NC game.  I don't think Muschamp would have been dumb enough to try to force a power running game, so we'd have been better than 5-7, but even if we ended up 8-4 the pitchforks would have been out and there certainly would not have been the patience for the complete roster rebuild the program needed at that point.
The irony is if Mack had just ridden off into the sunset after 2009 he'd still be revered here, and Muschamp would have taken the blame for the fall.

Had Dana Holgerson been in the mix with Muschamp, that would have been a formidable combination. More like the rehabbed Garrett Gilbert you saw at SMU and then as a backup NFL QB. Holgerson would also see weapons like DJ Monroe, Marquise Goodwin, and Fozzy Whitaker and know what to do with them.

On the flipside, defense would have been better with even a slightly better offense and special teams.

And the mindset would be less pussified.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Not a cat said:

Recruiting fell off well before that, it's almost as if Mack started phoning it in after getting the national championship.  The backbone of that 2009 team was guys who committed before the 06 Rose Bowl, including some small town 3 star QB that Mack really only wanted as a backup to Ryan Perrilloux.  Once those guys graduated it was look out below.

Muschamp dodged a bullet by mack going back on his plan to retire after 2009.  If that happens, Muschamp has a shitty 2010 right after mack had led us to the NC game.  I don't think Muschamp would have been dumb enough to try to force a power running game, so we'd have been better than 5-7, but even if we ended up 8-4 the pitchforks would have been out and there certainly would not have been the patience for the complete roster rebuild the program needed at that point.

The irony is if Mack had just ridden off into the sunset after 2009 he'd still be revered here, and Muschamp would have taken the blame for the fall.

I didn't get the sense that Mack phoned it in but rather that he became the main attraction in the dog and pony show and had to rely on others more and scouting/evaluating recruits suffered. 

5 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

This X100000000.  His soul was broken when Colt got hurt against Bama.

He quit recruiting years before that. He was so happy that he could set aside the “Mr. February” moniker that he quit being that, too. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

January 2006: "Holy shit watch what happens to Texas recruiting now that they've won a NC!"

Later: "Well I guess we could offer all these Central Texas white guys. Gotta trust Mack, you know?"

Four years later: "We are terrible now."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

January 2006: "Holy shit watch what happens to Texas recruiting now that they've won a NC!"

Later: "Well I guess we could offer all these Central Texas white guys. Gotta trust Mack, you know?"

Was it laziness or complacency? 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I showed up on Shaggy in 2008/2009 and was declarative about the stupidity and arrogance going on in recruiting. The blowback I received at the time was Texags level shit. Many, many established posters telling me that I was still the same motherfucker from Hornfans (true) and that Mack's record spoke for itself (untrue). When I broke the shitty OL in a wheelchair story, the rationalizations for it wound up being some of the funniest shit I have I ever read on the Internet.

By the early recruiting period ahead of the 2010 season, it was flat out obvious that we were fucked going forward. Texas was taking a bunch of guys that no other major in-state program wanted. Those recruits, for the most part, weren't even being recruited as a courtesy by other national powers. Nonetheless, they were all ranked highly in part because of the Texas halo effect at the time. The refreshing thing is that it's the opposite situation these days. Fuck Mack Brown.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Was it laziness or complacency? 

It doesn't matter, but it was laziness.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

By the early recruiting period ahead of the 2010 season, it was flat out obvious that we were fucked going forward.

It was around that time when we collectively realized that we had like four real OTs on the team and they were all upperclassmen. "Um, looking ahead a season or two.... we don't have any OTs." This was pre-portal, mind you. I believe it was that year's recruiting class that we took one OL, a center. The 5-7 and mediocre years that followed really shouldn't have been a surprise. 

Point being, we won a NC in 2005 and suddenly it was like "Paden Kelly and Tre Newton here we come!". We weren't exactly chasing the Arch Mannings and Bijan Robinsons of the time across the country. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Not a cat said:

Maybe you didn't follow Florida when he went there but that's his fucking weakness as a HC....

Muschamp’s main concern, though, is getting the running game turned around. It might not happen this season.

“It’s very difficult to try and run a power running game with what we want to try and do right now with who we have,” Muschamp said after Saturday’s loss to rival Georgia. “I like the guys we’ve got, but it’s just the bottom line. ... It doesn’t take anybody real educated to figure it out right now. Sometimes it does.”

Muschamp backed off his statement Monday, instead saying Florida does have the personnel to be a power running team.

https://www.staugustine.com/story/sports/2011/11/02/gators-coach-will-muschamp-hoping-build-power-running-game/16191830007/

One of the Gators' favorite ways to run power in 2013 was with the full house backfield, which fielded two fullbacks

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/14/5597124/kurt-roper-florida-gators-offense-2014

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

When I broke the shitty OL in a wheelchair story, the rationalizations for it wound up being some of the funniest shit I have I ever read on the Internet.

i am unaware of this story and now want to hear it!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Then by 2008 we’re making Junior Day offers to Brock Fitzhenry, and by 2013 he was fucking offering freshmen and sophomores who would eventually get processed when Strong took over and would wind up at Kansas or UTSA.

To say that recruiting had dried up by that point would be a massive understatement. It was horrific. We were basically back to late Fred Akers era recruiting. 

And there were a ton of people who still wanted us to keep Mack. 

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, Red Five said:

It was around that time when we collectively realized that we had like four real OTs on the team and they were all upperclassmen. "Um, looking ahead a season or two.... we don't have any OTs." This was pre-portal, mind you. I believe it was that year's recruiting class that we took one OL, a center. The 5-7 and mediocre years that followed really shouldn't have been a surprise. 

Point being, we won a NC in 2005 and suddenly it was like "Paden Kelly and Tre Newton here we come!". We weren't exactly chasing the Arch Mannings and Bijan Robinsons of the time across the country. 

I think the Ramonce Taylor/Andre Jones/Robert Joseph issues broke Mack.  It was obvious after about 2006 he was mailing it in.  He still got some decent headliners.  But the majority of the classes were bread.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Had Dana Holgerson been in the mix with Muschamp, that would have been a formidable combination. More like the rehabbed Garrett Gilbert you saw at SMU and then as a backup NFL QB. Holgerson would also see weapons like DJ Monroe, Marquise Goodwin, and Fozzy Whitaker and know what to do with them.

On the flipside, defense would have been better with even a slightly better offense and special teams.

And the mindset would be less pussified.

Fair point, in that I think our talent utilization and culture would have improved, but that's not going to win any championships with a piss poor offensive line.  That's why I said 8-4 instead of 5-7.  Fans would be ready to tar and feather a new coach going 8-4 at Texas back then.  And when it takes 3 to 4 years to fix the problem, we would have not had the patience for that shit.  

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yes. He was also a white guy from Cedar Park who had no business even receiving generic recruiting letters from UT. Those were the days.

I was about to counter that with some of the offers we DIDN'T make from that era, but lets just all enjoy our Memorial Day weekend shall we. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yes. He was also a white guy from Cedar Park who had no business even receiving generic recruiting letters from UT. Those were the days.

Hey! Im a white guy that lives in Cedar Park, and I represent resent this remark!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm spoilering this post for those who don't want to remember the absurd recruiting bullshit in the 2006-2013 Mack Brown period and for the tl;dr folks:

Reveal hidden contents

One of my buddies at the time was moving from one role in the college sports landscape to another during that 2010 cycle. His Texas ties were ridiculous and they still are. Before the JR day in 2010 (for the 2011 signing class), he had some time and walked me through the visitor list and told me who Texas would offer and who would commit. I posted it on Shaggy and he got like 17 out of 18/19 offers and commitments correctly. We tracked it on Shaggy over the next 4-ish weeks and it was uncanny. I may be getting some details wrong because it was 13 years ago, but that's roughly correct.

Anyway, the disturbing part of it was that our collective response on the recruiting board was basically straight out of the movie Major League - a whole bunch of "who the fuck are some of these guys?" One of those guys was Taylor Doyle. Along with Chet Moss, he was the most laughable of the offers. Anyway, I asked my friend, "Hey, I follow a lot the names here, but who the fuck is 'Taylor Doyle'?" He said, "dude, he's an okay OL out of Lake Travis. He shouldn't even be recruited by Texas. He got hurt late last year and McWhorter is all over him." I thought, "oh boy".

A few days after the JR day, he calls me up and when I answer, he is laughing as hard as he can and then proceeds to tell me that Doyle showed up in a wheelchair and wouldn't even be able to walk for the next like 4-6 weeks. "The bad news is that this guy may never play again. The good news is that this guy may never play again." Oh, he played again. We all saw it.

The problem with taking a bunch of JAGs is that, eventually, they're on the field for the program. They make their way out there because that's all you got. That's why I laugh at what Ritz Bitz is doing at ATM and all of the people who think Colorado is going to come close a winning record this season. 

Also, regarding Chet Moss, I've never received more downvotes in my life than when I responded to someone's paean about the virtues of Chet Moss "emerging" ahead of the 2012 season on 247 and simply posted "Chet Moss will never play a meaningful snap of football at The University of Texas." Goobers were climbing over each other to scream at me for typing that. Jeff Howe sent me a private message telling me to be nicer on the board, but he agreed with what I'd typed. Unfortunately, we were both wrong, and we had to witness that guy honestly on the field at Texas when it wasn't garbage time. 

Jesus that is a depressing memory.  Not much has changed in terms of getting pitchforked if you don’t fawn over our commitments. You would think after the last 13 years that the recruiting board as a whole would learn to be a little skeptical. 

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I was about to counter that with some of the offers we DIDN'T make from that era, but lets just all enjoy our Memorial Day weekend shall we. 

Shit. I'd be interested in it given that dickall is happening right now. I remember my buddies involved with the sport wringing their hands often about how well Baylor was evaluating and recruiting and how lost Texas was. Same is true for ATM's OL recruiting. The divergence between who Texas was going after and everyone else become unsettling. Also, offering Manziel and RGIII as DBs was really smart. 

8 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Ash would have been good if not for the concussions, but your point still stands.

If you remove him, we had a nice little run of Gilbert to McCoy to Swoopes to Heard.

Buechele came here and immediately looked like Joe Montana to us.

• Like 1

Jesus Christ, Taylor Doyle. I remember seeing his photo at the time thinking that he looked like the kid from Dawson’s Creek, which didn’t give me much confidence that he’d turn into some badass OL. And he was apparently in a wheel chair. Wtf Mack.

Also, reading all of this has put me in a bad mood. Fuck you all.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1