2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

12 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

These threads are necessary. Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

True enough, but what does that matter for anyone on this thread? Nobody here (except for maybe one or two BMDs who like slumming it) is in a position to prevent the the same dumb shit from happening again. Or are you warning people not to get their hopes up? Because there's got to be a better way to do that than repeatedly kicking ourselves in the nuts.  

9 hours ago, cmontexas said:

If you want to see how history rhymes with itself, check out the 24 recruiting thread and how we only have 3 commits (a 3 star qb, a punter, and an apparent problem with no position) and think we're too bigtime to recruit high school kids

Literally everyone who has any kind of inside track on the 2024 recruiting cycle has said there's no reason to panic. From what I've heard from people who know more than me, it has nothing to do with being "too bigtime" and more to do with being patient and trying to pull in high level prospects before accepting the second choice. A reasonable person might say a bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush, but that's a question of strategy. After the last two cycles and the season we're projected to have in 2023, t's not arrogance to think Texas has a shot at top talent. 

• Hook 'Em 4

10 hours ago, cmontexas said:

If you want to see how history rhymes with itself, check out the 24 recruiting thread and how we only have 3 commits (a 3 star qb, a punter, and an apparent problem with no position) and think we're too bigtime to recruit high school kids

Lolwut

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

Literally everyone who has any kind of inside track on the 2024 recruiting cycle has said there's no reason to panic. From what I've heard from people who know more than me, it has nothing to do with being "too bigtime" and more to do with being patient and trying to pull in high level prospects before accepting the second choice.

DT is dumb as fuck tho

Screenshot_20230529_131417_Chrome.jpg

4 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

DT is dumb as fuck tho

Screenshot_20230529_131417_Chrome.jpg

You've already acknowledged that Darius Terrell is not the best source, so I won't harp on that.

But I think you're misunderstanding his quote - he's saying that Texas in the past cycles has been recruiting tweeners that other programs have passed on because we hope they will pay off after developing. For example, players that aren't fast enough for edge but aren't heavy enough for DT, but we take them on talent alone and hope they have room to grow before they play. These are great players that, personally, I'm happy to have in a class, but I would assume they aren't the staff's first choice. In other words, we've been taking our second choice and hope they develop. That may not be necessary anymore, if Texas can recruit it's first choice from high school and pick up tweeners that develop well from the portal. 

I get that the guy you're quoting - who doesn't actually know anything - used the phrase "bigtime," but that can't reasonably be attributed to the staff or be considered an indication of recruiting strategy.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Darius Terrell openly hates Texas. Says as much on his podcast. I assume he’ll get Bohl’s or Golden’s spot at The Statesman when they die off. We have the adversarial “press corps” in the country. 

I’d imagine he’s talking about Kris Ross who be all accounts appears to be a good kid that can’t gain enough weight. That’s a bad beat not a player development issue IMO. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

I will remain vigilant against any dumbass narratives downplaying HS recruiting being floated by any 995ers as long as we have zero viable high school commits.

I lnow we wanna stand around waiting for the prom queen to call us at 1am because We're Texas. But "we're waiting on higher ranked guys, dont wanna fill up on bread" is liable to become "we'll reload in the portal, dont wanna fill up on bread" before you know it 

Brown is obviously one of the tweeners he was referring to. Either Johnson or Ross for the 2nd but Ross is gonna surprise people and be a player for us

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Seems like people were saying the same thing about Bama last year.  

26 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

I will remain vigilant against any dumbass narratives downplaying HS recruiting being floated by any 995ers as long as we have zero viable high school commits.

I lnow we wanna stand around waiting for the prom queen to call us at 1am because We're Texas. But "we're waiting on higher ranked guys, dont wanna fill up on bread" is liable to become "we'll reload in the portal, dont wanna fill up on bread" before you know it 

Brown is obviously one of the tweeners he was referring to. Either Johnson or Ross for the 2nd but Ross is gonna surprise people and be a player for us

That's completely fair - my ears start burning when I hear people downplay a lack of momentum in recruiting by saying "don't fill up on bread." But for me, the time to start worrying begins in July or August. Especially when our big weekend is still coming up. I'll save the rest of my thoughts for the 9.95 board, but I do share your concerns. Just not yet. 

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Gerry said on a recent podcast that he thinks Texas is at 15 recruits, or more, by the end of August. If we get into football season and are more or less where we're at, then I'll hit the panic button. Until then this staff seems to have a good handle on evaluation and waiting to get the right mix of talent. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

True enough, but what does that matter for anyone on this thread? Nobody here (except for maybe one or two BMDs who like slumming it) is in a position to prevent the the same dumb shit from happening again. Or are you warning people not to get their hopes up? Because there's got to be a better way to do that than repeatedly kicking ourselves in the nuts.

It’s possible you take Surly, and some of its members, way too seriously.

48 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Athlon sucks but in their Big 12 position rankings, they have Texas #1 across the board.

Screenshot_20230529_124644.jpg

Damn.  Not sure of their methodology, but I'm guessing they have us predicted as winning the conference?  The only thing that can stop us is some really screwed up and one sided officiating from a conference that is still pissed at us.  I'm sure we'll be fine.

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Damn.  Not sure of their methodology, but I'm guessing they have us predicted as winning the conference?  The only thing that can stop us is some really screwed up and one sided officiating from a conference that is still pissed at us.  I'm sure we'll be fine.

I mean, that ain’t the ONLY thing…

• Rage+1 1

I also question QB at #1.  I love Quinn, I think he’s going to take a big leap this year and be put in a great position to succeed.  But I’ve also been guzzling burnt orange kool-aid all offseason.

Objectively, Dillon Gabriel and Jalon Daniels had better years last year.  Even Will Howard at Kansas State was statistically the better player last year.  I understand potential should count for something, but I don’t understand how you can rate Quinn above Gabriel and Daniels until he actually proves he’s better than them on the field.

Which he will do, but he hasn’t done it yet.

On 5/29/2023 at 1:34 AM, cmontexas said:

tell us you know nothing about recruiting...without telling us you know nothing about recruiting.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

We all know the he Big 12 doesn’t want Texas winning the conference title on the way out. Only total domination will take the officials out of the game.

Nah. Line Judge just hip-checks Sarkisian, throws a flag. Sarkisian fails to apologize for roughing up the ref quickly enough. Eject Sarkisian. Now we have no HC on the field, no OC. Who calls the Offense? 

11 hours ago, Fumbles said:

I also question QB at #1.  I love Quinn, I think he’s going to take a big leap this year and be put in a great position to succeed.  But I’ve also been guzzling burnt orange kool-aid all offseason.

Objectively, Dillon Gabriel and Jalon Daniels had better years last year.  Even Will Howard at Kansas State was statistically the better player last year.  I understand potential should count for something, but I don’t understand how you can rate Quinn above Gabriel and Daniels until he actually proves he’s better than them on the field.

I believe that is as a group, so a lot of the QB ranking is based on talent that hopefully wont see the field net year

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Fumbles said:

Quinn + Maalik + Arch is easily the best QB room in the conference. Oklahoma at least has a beef with Arnold in the mix, but if you would take Dillon Gabriel over Quinn I don't know what to tell you.

14 hours ago, cmontexas said:

You could probably fanboy argue any of them but RB is a complete head scratcher.

Doesnt Baylor bring back a freshman AA that ran for 1000 yards?

Yeah that one was curious. Our most productive returning back had 30 carries last season and we are counting on a big contribution from a true freshman. 

Yeah that one was curious. Our most productive returning back had 30 carries last season and we are counting on a big contribution from a true freshman. 
Maybe Baylor is only one deep at RB and then they're screwed if he goes down? I certainly wouldn't trade our RB room for anyone else in conference, maybe not anywhere.

Also, if they're only rating the projected starter at QB not sure I'd put us at #1, but taken as a whole, once again wouldn't trade our QB room for another, so the ranking isn't without merit.

22 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

That's completely fair - my ears start burning when I hear people downplay a lack of momentum in recruiting by saying "don't fill up on bread." But for me, the time to start worrying begins in July or August. Especially when our big weekend is still coming up. I'll save the rest of my thoughts for the 9.95 board, but I do share your concerns. Just not yet. 

wait!!!....Surly has a 9.95 board?

55 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

if you would take Dillon Gabriel over Quinn I don't know what to tell you.

In 2022 I would have because Dillon Gabriel was the better QB.  I believe Quinn will be better in 2023, but objective reality is that Gabriel is the better QB until Quinn proves otherwise.

• Haha 1

Screenshot_20230531-121044_kindlephoto-5018479.png.be82291022363d92a5c9e663aeaee310.png

Wayne Strickland:  This was what I remember Darrell Royal, great coach of the Texas Longhorns saying when he was asked if freshman should play varsity football.  He said, “if they will bite, they will bite as a pup.”

----------------------------------------------

1. So what are folks thoughts on Coaches playing more freshman early?
  2. How should roster management be handled as far as numbers added from high school vs the numbers added by transfers?
  3. What Texas Freshmen should see significant playing time in 2023?

With the transfer portal there has to be more pressure to get more freshman top recruits on the field earlier or they might transfer.  The one time transfers (in theory) are locked in to staying longer because they have to sit out a year if they transfer a 2nd time.  Also your best players are only around for 3yrs (Bijan) before they head to the NFL.

It also seems like once players have been at a school for 2yrs, it's a great time to transfer to get paid (ex. Jordan Addison).  Also, some positions are more coveted by teams for transfers:  QB, WR, Edge, OT, and CB's.

Just some interesting trends to keep an eye on and discuss...

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1