2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

17 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Screenshot_20230531-121044_kindlephoto-5018479.png.be82291022363d92a5c9e663aeaee310.png

Wayne Strickland:  This was what I remember Darrell Royal, great coach of the Texas Longhorns saying when he was asked if freshman should play varsity football.  He said, “if they will bite, they will bite as a pup.”

----------------------------------------------

1. So what are folks thoughts on Coaches playing more freshman early?
  2. How should roster management be handled as far as numbers added from high school vs the numbers added by transfers?
  3. What Texas Freshmen should see significant playing time in 2023?

With the transfer portal there has to be more pressure to get more freshman top recruits on the field earlier or they might transfer.  The one time transfers (in theory) are locked in to staying longer because they have to sit out a year if they transfer a 2nd time.  Also your best players are only around for 3yrs (Bijan) before they head to the NFL.

It also seems like once players have been at a school for 2yrs, it's a great time to transfer to get paid (ex. Jordan Addison).  Also, some positions are more coveted by teams for transfers:  QB, WR, Edge, OT, and CB's.

Just some interesting trends to keep an eye on and discuss...

The prep system in Royal's day is not the same one you see today. Positions that emphasize instincts and speed don't need a redshirt if mentally they are ready. Linemen (with exceptions like Banks) usually need time to grow into adult athletes and quarterbacks need to learn how to play chess. DBs and WRs don't need to squat 600 before they can run routes. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

1. So what are folks thoughts on Coaches playing more freshman early?
  2. How should roster management be handled as far as numbers added from high school vs the numbers added by transfers?
  3. What Texas Freshmen should see significant playing time in 2023?

With the transfer portal there has to be more pressure to get more freshman top recruits on the field earlier or they might transfer.  The one time transfers (in theory) are locked in to staying longer because they have to sit out a year if they transfer a 2nd time.  Also your best players are only around for 3yrs (Bijan) before they head to the NFL.

It also seems like once players have been at a school for 2yrs, it's a great time to transfer to get paid (ex. Jordan Addison).  Also, some positions are more coveted by teams for transfers:  QB, WR, Edge, OT, and CB's.

Just some interesting trends to keep an eye on and discuss...

I think most coaches operate mainly in the present and can't worry about what "might" happen with a disgruntled player.  They're trying to win games now.  If a FR can help win games now, by all means throw him out there.  But I don't think coaches would play them, just to placate them.

I'm not a coach and don't know shit, btw

Win the job/win reps with your effort in practice and it should work out fine for everyone.

Based on what I remember from the spring and looking at depth at certain positions, I think Baxter will get some carries.  

Cook will be in the rotation at WR

On D I think Hill and Sydir Mitchell will be in the rotation at LB and DL respectively.

Maybe Muhammad at CB?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

I think most coaches operate mainly in the present and can't worry about what "might" happen with a disgruntled player.  They're trying to win games now.  If a FR can help win games now, by all means throw him out there.  But I don't think coaches would play them, just to placate them.

I'm not a coach and don't know shit, btw

Win the job/win reps with your effort in practice and it should work out fine for everyone.

Based on what I remember from the spring and looking at depth at certain positions, I think Baxter will get some carries.  

Cook will be in the rotation at WR

On D I think Hill and Sydir Mitchell will be in the rotation at LB and DL respectively.

Maybe Muhammad at CB?

I’d add Williams in the “better be ready” camp given Catalon’s history and our lack of safeties behind him and Jerrin. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's a new world with the portal and NIL. Some freshman aren't just expecting to play a lot, they're expected to produce. Guys who I can promise you will not be coddled and will be absolutely expected to play and produce are as follows:

-Baxter (this won't be a problem, they were happy with him coming along in the spring)

-Muhammad (there's legitimate talent in front of him, but he's going to need to be productive when he's out there, and they're for sure going to get him out there)

-Mitchell (I doubt he gets starter minutes, but they're going to play him and tout him if he's productive)

-Cook (he's going to get as many snaps as any starter)

-Williams (biggest question mark and expectations on him being productive immediately are very high)

-Hill (if he isn't starting from the opening game, something weird is going on)

-Lefau (as much as they're raving about him, I have to think he gets a ton of snaps)

-Vasek (he extracted a pound of flesh in his recruitment, now he needs to prove that he was worth it)

-Akana (see Vasek)

-Moore (see Vasek)

Everyone else will have plenty of time in this cycle to develop and get better without a ton of pressure. If someone not named here is getting more and more PT, that's great news and they'll be earning their way into NIL. Guys walking through the door having an NIL deal when they get to campus are going to deservedly have higher expectations put upon them. 

One thing we haven't discussed much is the counter to productivity when someone is making NIL money. If they're getting paid and not a productive member of the program, the trap door for those players will be greased heavily and have them into the portal at ludicrous speed. Upward and onward. Whatever.

I think a guy like McDonald could flash on special teams and get occasional play (as a reward). The other guy that comes to mind is Shannon. At 6'7" and probably 250+, he has a chance to see the field. Mostly because he might be an asset as a blocking TE, something Texas does not in abundance. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

Tight Ends seem to take a couple of years to become good blockers, it's a product of learning what to do and then being strong enough to do it.

its more about the lack of blockers in the TE room, than my expectations for Spencer. It is essentially Helm and Sanders and neither of them will be confused with Gronk at this point of their careers. Arguably the thinnest position on the team. 

47 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

its more about the lack of blockers in the TE room, than my expectations for Spencer. It is essentially Helm and Sanders and neither of them will be confused with Gronk at this point of their careers. Arguably the thinnest position on the team. 

And it won’t matter if the WR room can stay relatively healthy. 

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It's a new world with the portal and NIL. Some freshman aren't just expecting to play a lot, they're expected to produce. Guys who I can promise you will not be coddled and will be absolutely expected to play and produce are as follows:

-Baxter (this won't be a problem, they were happy with him coming along in the spring)

-Muhammad (there's legitimate talent in front of him, but he's going to need to be productive when he's out there, and they're for sure going to get him out there)

-Mitchell (I doubt he gets starter minutes, but they're going to play him and tout him if he's productive)

-Williams (biggest question mark and expectations on him being productive immediately are very high)

-Lefau (as much as they're raving about him, I have to think he gets a ton of snaps)

-Vasek (he extracted a pound of flesh in his recruitment, now he needs to prove that he was worth it)

-Akana (see Vasek)

-Moore (see Vasek)

Everyone else will have plenty of time in this cycle to develop and get better without a ton of pressure. If someone not named here is getting more and more PT, that's great news and they'll be earning their way into NIL. Guys walking through the door having an NIL deal when they get to campus are going to deservedly have higher expectations put upon them. 

One thing we haven't discussed much is the counter to productivity when someone is making NIL money. If they're getting paid and not a productive member of the program, the trap door for those players will be greased heavily and have them into the portal at ludicrous speed. Upward and onward. Whatever.

I can't help but think Akana was a waste of powder. a 19 year old edge reporting to an all star game after his senior season at 190 lbs is just not good, it doesn't matter how high of a motor he has.

I like what I have seen out of Vasek in limited action. He absolutely put Chatman and Cojoe in a blender during the spring game on multiple occasions. I am not sure how that translates to a Kelvin Banks, but his first step is explosive and he should work his way into the rotation throughout the season.

Moore was a pleasant surprise in spring ball and looks to be the heir apparent to Whittington in that thicker slot receiver role. I can see him getting some meaningful snaps throughout the season. 

My hopes for Derrick Williams are about as high as any player in this class not named Manning. If Williams has it between the ears, there should really be no competition next season. 

5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I like what I have seen out of Vasek in limited action. He absolutely put Chatman and Cojoe in a blender during the spring game on multiple occasions. I am not sure how that translates to a Kelvin Banks, but his first step is explosive and he should work his way into the rotation throughout the season.

We'll probably end up seeing some of Vasek at Jack and Sorrell at Buck. 

Vasek was worth it for the gooner tears alone, but we need real help in setting the edge and harassing QB's. I'm not sure Sorrell or Ethan "dad bod" Burke are up to the task this year...but we need someone to step up.

• Hook 'Em 1

Four Longhorns that can emerge as stars in 2023

Kevin Borba        June 1, 2023 

The Texas Longhorns are being mentioned as the favorite to win the Big 12 this upcoming college football season and could maybe even make a playoff appearance.

If they were to win the Big 12 it would be the first time they’ve done so since No. 12 (Colt McCoy) was leading the offense. When looking at this roster on paper combined with what we saw during the spring game, it is truly hard to think of a team in the past decade that looks as good as this one. However, even with all of the hype surrounding this team there are still players that have a lot to prove in 2023.

That is why I decided to pinpoint four emerging stars for Texas. These are names you absolutely need to look out for this upcoming season. Whether they were starters or not last season, these four Longhorns will have much higher expectations as Texas looks to return to glory.

Isaiah Neyor, WR

Texas fans were robbed of getting to see Isaiah Neyor in 2022 after he suffered a season ending injury during fall camp. The Wyoming transfer was turning heads prior to his injury, and was being tabbed as the perfect compliment to Xavier Worthy. At 6-foot-3, Neyor is elite when it comes to going up and coming down with a jump ball, and he also has the ability to blow by defenses. With Quinn Ewers expected to be more accurate in 2023, Neyor should emerge as another great weapon for this offense to rely on.

Johnathon Brooks, RB

The heir to Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson, former four-star Jonathon Brooks showed amazing flashes in limited action last season. Despite having just 30 carries on the season, he racked up five touchdowns, nearly 200 yards rushing, and also averaged an impressive 6.6 yards per carry. Obviously when you have two NFL running backs in front of you, there aren’t many carries to go around but now it will be Brooks’ job to be the bell cow. Texas relied heavily on the run game last season when Ewers struggled, which means there’s a little extra pressure on Brooks to make sure there is no drop off in production.

Terrance Brooks, DB

Texas went out on brought in a veteran corner in Wake Forrest transfer Gavin Holmes, but Terrance Brooks proved last year that he can be the corner that starts opposite Ryan Watts. After D’Shawn Jamison went down with an injury against TCU, Brooks was thrust into the game as a true freshman and held his own. He also showed a couple flashes during the Alamo Bowl against Washington, and even came close to picking off Michael Penix Jr. With a full year in the system, and a chance to get more comfortable, I expect Brooks to turn some heads opposite Watts.

Quinn Ewers, QB

Yes Quinn Ewers is on this list, and no he wasn’t a star last season. In fact, outside of the first half of the Alabama game and against what turned out to be a terrible Oklahoma team, the former No. 1 overall recruit underwhelmed. 2023 should be the year we see him play at the level that all Longhorn fans expected last season. It was evident this offseason by his physical transformation and new approach to being the quarterback at Texas that Ewers himself is ready to take that next step. His inaccuracy last season got so bad that Sarkisian essentially fazed him out of the offense by leaning on Robinson and Johnson more. However, in 2023 it is Ewers’ team and it his chance to show the college football world just why he was ranked so high as a recruit.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 6/1/2023 at 11:25 AM, closetojumping said:

-Akana (see Vasek)

-Moore (see Vasek)

Go Dark Helmet GIF

• Haha 4

Texas used to have a “no freshman can do an interview until after he’s participated in a game” rule, or at least I seem to remember that from my days in the media… perhaps [mention=5437]shadow_operative[/mention] can ask his pops. I thought Bianco had kept that in place, so somewhat surprised to see the above link 
NIL made all that irrelevant, getting paid for media appearances (or at least expenses compensated) is possible now.
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, victory88 said:

More of Kirkland interview talking about Bama game and some of the freshman/teammates.  Interesting to see how teammates view each other.  

Wasn't even bragging, just matter of fact. Been awhile since the players carried themselves and responded with that much confidence. 

• Hook 'Em 6

40 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

Wasn't even bragging, just matter of fact. Been awhile since the players carried themselves and responded with that much confidence. 

“Give me a guy with his jaw stuck out, his shirt sleeves rolled up and who swaggers when he walks. I know it’s Harry High School, but if I have to make a choice I’ll take the cocky, over-confident, conceited kid over the one who has so much humility he can’t look you in the eye.”

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

Kirkland thinks highly of Murphy. It'll be interesting watching him if Ewers gets injured.

Multiple people including Whittington have talked about how good Murphy has been in practice/scout team.  I think part of why teammates also think highly of him is because of how he commands the offense and players.  Leadership comes naturally to him where guy like Card and Ewers may not innately have it in them.  Murphy has all the arm talent from an accuracy and arm strength stand point.  His biggest weakness is his lack of experience playing games since he backed up a D1 prospect in high school till his senior year and now Ewers.  

I don't think Ewers is going to have the leash he did last year.  If he shits the best the way he did the 2nd half of last year, he will get benched for Murphy.  Sark isn't in a position this year to ride loses with a QB playing poorly with all the talent on the roster.  With all that said, I think Ewers is going to kick ass this year.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Multiple people including Whittington have talked about how good Murphy has been in practice/scout team.  I think part of why teammates also think highly of him is because of how he commands the offense and players.  Leadership comes naturally to him where guy like Card and Ewers may not innately have it in them.  Murphy has all the arm talent from an accuracy and arm strength stand point.  His biggest weakness is his lack of experience playing games since he backed up a D1 prospect in high school till his senior year and now Ewers.  

I don't think Ewers is going to have the leash he did last year.  If he shits the best the way he did the 2nd half of last year, he will get benched for Murphy.  Sark isn't in a position this year to ride loses with a QB playing poorly with all the talent on the roster.  With all that said, I think Ewers is going to kick ass this year.  

The legend of Maalik just grows. 

He had a 58.7 completion percentage, 8.3 yds per att, 31 TDs, and 15 ints. Threw an int every 36.3 passes. TD every 17.6 att.   I'll agree on arm strength. He came in and had to rework his mechanics. I am not sure the accuracy is there. 

Compare that to Ewers and Manning

Manning

64.5%, 8.6 per, 115 TDs, and 19 ints. Threw an int every 52.4 passes. TD every 8.7 attempts

Ewers

70%, 10.0 per, 73 TDs, and 8 ints.. Threw an int every 80.4 passes. TD every 8.8 att

Maybe Maalik has made amazing strides, but I think there is a reason that Gerry believes Arch is the back-up if Quinn misses extended time. Sark was wouldnt sub Card into a game. Maalik has a lot less skins on the wall, than Card. 

Edited by Codaxx

12 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

The legend of Maalik just grows. 

He had a 58.7 completion percentage, 8.3 yds per att, 31 TDs, and 15 ints. Threw an int every 36.3 passes. TD every 17.6 att.   I'll agree on arm strength. He came in and had to rework his mechanics. I am not sure the accuracy is there. 

Compare that to Ewers and Manning

Manning

64.5%, 8.6 per, 115 TDs, and 19 ints. Threw an int every 52.4 passes. TD every 8.7 attempts

Ewers

70%, 10.0 per, 73 TDs, and 8 ints.. Threw an int every 80.4 passes. TD every 8.8 att

Maybe Maalik has made amazing strides, but I think there is a reason that Gerry believes Arch is the back-up if Quinn misses extended time. Sark was wouldnt sub Card into a game. Maalik has a lot less skins on the wall, than Card. 

I don't think you could use the last two seasons as a indicator to which way Sark would go given the QB room this year is the 1st year a player doesn't have 1 foot out the door. 

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Not looking to argue this at all; just genuinely interested to know what you (and many others to be fair) base this on.

Last year’s QB play was among the worst I have ever seen. The spring game didn’t do much to convince me that he has made great strides.

For me, my biggest reason for hope for Ewers is that Sark is coaching him, and simply getting more experience.

Wasnt it Patterson that said he thought it took quarterbacks 15 games before they really began to get it? That still leaves Ewers about half a season away. 

I love this roster and fear that Ewers may actually be the weak link. 

Edited by Ghost of Shag
  • Hook 'Em 2