2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

30 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

2) Some buddies were there today and walked away raving. These are not the raving type and they're opinions are ... respected in this regard. One of them talked to me about the offense in ways that made me feel uncomfortable. 

10.gif

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Some interesting weights in here actually:

Pleasant Surprises:

CJ Baxter at 210

Justice Finkley at 250

J'Mond Tapp at 261

Liona Lefau at 227

Derion Gullette at 234

Aaron Bryant at 300 

DJ Campbell at 332

Neto Umeozulu at 326

Cam Williams down to 360

Malik Agbo down to 312

Gunner Helm at 250

Ethan Burke at 250

Sydir Mitchell at 360

Mild/Major Disappointments:

Malik Muhammad at 177

BJ Allen at 207

Derrick Brown at 210

Gavin Holmes at 168

Colton Vasek at 230

Zac Swanson at 260

Kris Ross at 245

My #1 takeaway is that 'Umeozulu' is pronounced way differently than I thought.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

1) Can someone change the motherfucking title and fix @BurntOrange&White's fuckheaded stupidity, please? @immamac Nobody wants to look at that ineptitude all offseason.

2) Some buddies were there today and walked away raving. These are not the raving type and they're opinions are ... respected in this regard. One of them talked to me about the offense in ways that made me feel uncomfortable. 

3) @Vertigo's list of weight disappointments is clownish.

i always knew you were olin buchanan in disguise

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Sarkisian also revealed that wide receiver Xavier Worthy, who had a bit of a disappointing sophomore season with 760 yards and nine touchdowns (58.8 yards per game) after a breakout freshman year in which he had 981 yards and 12 TDs, played with a broken hand for about half the season last year.

"Anytime you're a receiver and you're playing with a broken hand, that's a pretty important aspect of your game, and that guy never wanted to sit out, not play," Sarkisian said, noting that he didn't reveal it so opponents didn't know. "He came to work. He fought through it. There were days in practice where we purposely didn't throw him balls just to take some of the pressure off of it. But I think we're going to see a version of Xavier Worthy that's going to be dramatically different now that he's healthy."

So we're all just glossing over this?  WTF Sark?  

Edited by Biff Tannen
next you're gonna tell me Ewers had a hurt hand in the OSU game and you played him anyway
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, BigHornedLurker said:

so i guess im the only one concerned that our QB2 is still injured, potentially forcing Arch into action sooner than expected ? 

qb2 is playing. Murphy was QB2 for short term issues. If Quinn goes down for an extended period of time, Manning is the next man up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

It also appears the WR he targeted I think 14 times in that game didn't want to catch a football with his broke hand.

This is the biggest issue.

If it's true that Worthy had a broken hand and wanted to play through it, ok.

That doesn't explain why we went stretches of games taking deep shot after deep shot to him, knowing Quinn likely wouldn't hit him and if he did Worthy likely wouldn't catch it.

I'm not down on Worthy, either.  I wouldn't be surprised for him to bounce back this year find a better rhythm with Quinn given a full offseason to work on timing together with no split qb1 reps.  But this is kind of a bullshit explanation for how we used him and how he performed with that usage last year.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

5 hours ago, Mr. Drummond said:

it's March 6th.

:) 

All that said... this is the first season in a long time that we have talent and depth and experience at nearly every position. We reloaded at running back. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we're talking fifteen years since we've been even close to this situation as far as personnel goes.

I expect a winning record to be a hard floor.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

But this is kind of a bullshit explanation for how we used him and how he performed with that usage last year.

It doesn't make any sense.   If he can't lay out because he has a broken hand, Sark is telling us that using 14 downs of decoy was an intentional game plan and that's farcical.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

48 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

All that said... this is the first season in a long time that we have talent and depth and experience at nearly every position. We reloaded at running back. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we're talking fifteen years since we've been even close to this situation as far as personnel goes.

I expect a winning record to be a hard floor.

we don't yet have a road-paving o-line that guarantees 100 yard rushers in every road game

we don't yet have a receiver room that never drops a catchable ball

we don't yet have kickers that are icy coffin corner nails from 55

we don't yet have DBs that merit the "U" moniker who shut down 3rd and long stopping opposing offenses that moved the ball at will between the 30s every game last year

we haven't yet proven we've reloaded the backfield and that is a TALL ORDER and the burden of proof on this one is VERY HIGH

we don't have a human-eating pass rush that puts the fear of god in opposing QBs and OCs that have to plan for it and design around it

cheer is a lost cause and pom has been down for a decade

anything else i've missed?

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Ha. “Uncomfortable” like they were going to jinx us “uncomfortable”. 

I thought a jinx had already been in place for 13+ years.  Double jinx to reverse the original jinx.  It just might work.  

we don't yet have a road-paving o-line that guarantees 100 yard rushers in every road game
we don't yet have DBs that merit the "U" moniker who shut down 3rd and long stopping opposing offenses that moved the ball at will between the 30s every game last year
we haven't yet proven we've reloaded the backfield and that is a TALL ORDER and the burden of proof on this one is VERY HIGH
we don't have a human-eating pass rush that puts the fear of god in opposing QBs and OCs that have to plan for it and design around it

9cb64cc7924c5902a0e1a9ee7a070105.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Sassy Told You So GIF

24 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Well, yeah. You missed something:

You’re a lousy softball player, Jack!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

38 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I mean... not yet, anyway. We've had one day of no-pads Spring practice.

All I'm saying here is that a winning record is our floor this year. Last year, I said it was our ceiling... and mostly because we had a lot of talent, but most of it was young and they'd make dumb young people mistakes. They did. You saw greatness in a few games... and "What he doing?" in others.

THIS year, we have experience and another massive class committed. We will be a good team. Not competing for a national title or nothing, but we're going to win more than we lose, and we should expect to win almost all of our games.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Take your opinion, roll it up real nice and tight like and shove it up your candy ass! It’s the offseason, we are natty bound, baby!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

All I'm saying here is that a winning record is our floor this year. Last year, I said it was our ceiling... and mostly because we had a lot of talent, but most of it was young and they'd make dumb young people mistakes. They did. You saw greatness in a few games... and "What he doing?" in others.

Given that we finished ranked and 8-5, I'm not sure your handle on floors and ceilings is the *best*

6 hours ago, tokamak said:

My #1 takeaway is that 'Umeozulu' is pronounced way differently than I thought.

And that AD Mitchell is from the mysterious town of Mirrouri City

• Hook 'Em 1

I'll hold out all opinions until I see the run-blocking of the oline.  We haven't had a road-grading oline in 16/17 years.  Last year we had a generational-type starting RB and his backup is a fucking beast, and we still couldn't get 3rd/4th & short w/out a minor miracle.  Most frustrating shit ever, football wise. 

• Hook 'Em 5

10 hours ago, Rimbo said:

:) 

I mean, in 2019 we were returning a veteran team after a 10 win season that included a Big 12 championship game loss and a Sugar Bowl beat down of Georgia, and two straight top 3 recruiting classes. Of course those veterans and their coach shit the bed and we spiraled back down to mediocrity, but there was much more logic for optimism than now.

• Like 1

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic