2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

3 hours ago, OB3 said:

IT team notes (Neyor & Catalon update)

Hide contents

Two players we’re frequently asked about, and with good reason, are wide receiver Isaiah Neyor and safety Jalen Catalon. Each are transfers who have yet to play a down despite Neyor being on campus for over a year now. Other things in common, they’re NFL talents coming off injuries. But, the best thing they have in common now is, barring a setback, they’ll be full-go come August camp. 

In Catalon’s case, the coaches may elect to put him in a green non-contact jersey but that would likely be precautionary. One source didn’t know if Catalon would be cleared for tackling if practice started tomorrow but he said Catalon is expected to be a full participant in August. 

Speaking of precautions, Neyor is still in a knee brace but he’s fully integrated into offseason workouts, meaning he’s running and cutting like everyone else. From a movement standpoint he looks perfectly fine. We won’t know more than that until the pads come on but he seems mentally strong and ready to return to the field. A source mentioned he really attacked his rehab and he takes his body and treatment seriously.

Jaylan Ford, Quinn Ewers, Ja’Tavion Sanders, and Jerrin Thompson have been described as some of the vocal leaders during workouts. As mentioned in the Four-Down Territory post, these workouts, specifically the Friday conditioning work, has been difficult but the team is ahead of where it was a year ago at this time.

The offensive line is status quo from last year’s starting group. There is still going to be robust competition at guard, but Cole Hutson is right back where he left off as the unit goes through offseason drills. An interesting note is Hayden Conner has leaned up and put in a lot of work towards becoming more flexible. He’s about 315 pounds. I mentioned this during his recruitment but he was always an enigma this way. I think his junior season he was up to around 325 but then I saw him at a workout the following Spring and he was around 300 and moved verywell. This could be an encouraging development, and it makes one wonder if Kyle Flood is going to have him compete with Jake Majors come August. Flood was going to do that with Junior Angilau last August. The amount of guards they have gives Flood flexibility to experiment. We’ll see.

I see The Replacing Majors at Center Dream is alive and well. IT scratched a lot of backs with that paragraph. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, MIkeHoncho said:

The new 'Childs Should Starts' or 'saving DJ for ou'? 

The new "Zach Shackleford isn't that good and player X should replace him at C this year”

Which was the new "Dominic Espinoza isn't that good and player X should replace him at C this year”

Which was the new "David Snow isn't that good and player X should replace him at C this year”

Which was the new "Chris Hall isn't that good and player X should replace him at C this year”

Which was the new "Lyle Sendlein isn't that good and player X should replace him at C this year”

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

Screenshot_20230611-150523_kindlephoto-10357700.png.439a622e175b7a16cd2b32b5b9901d5b.png

Not-so-quiet optimism has formed around the Texas Longhorns this summer ahead of the 2023 season for a program expected to compete for a conference championship and potential Playoff berth this fall. An anonymous Big 12 assistant coach recently told Athlon Sports for its robust 2023 season preview that the overflow of speed and athleticism on offense at Texas makes the Longhorns a nightmare to gameplan for on that side of the football.

“They could get scary good if Quinn (Ewers) plays the way he’s capable of," the coach said. "They’re really close to connecting it all on offense and playing up to that standard of a Sark (Steve Sarkisian) team. Losing Bijan (Robinson) is a serious blow, no doubt, but this is the kind of scheme and the kind of roster where you just adjust to the other talent; you don’t try to fill a hole. There’s so much talent there at tight end and receiver that they’re going to burn some teams.”

The Longhorns have momentum coming off Sarkisian's second season and are widely viewed as a preseason top-20 team this fall.

The roster has depth and most of all, is free of distractions.

"The staff has really, really changed that culture," the anonymous Big 12 coach said. "Bo Davis and those guys didn't screw around, and they've been weeding out the typical Texas entitlement we're all used to seeing. Those boys can hit now. ... They could actually back it all up this season, we'll see."

Sarkisian knows his team only goes as far as Ewers takes them, and is confident the former five-star has the tools necessary to help the Longhorns compete at the highest level. The transition from his first season as the Longhorns' starter into a more comfortable 2023 campaign is the secret sauce that should lead to notable progress, Sarkisian says.

"Year two is when you make those strides and become that elite player,” Sarkisian said during a stop on the Texas Fight Tour last month. “I saw it with Carson Palmer. In year two, he wins the Heisman trophy and ends up the first pick in the draft. I saw it in Matt Leinart. I saw it in Jake Locker, and he ended up being the 10th pick in the draft."

A quarterback whisperer of sorts, Sarkisian knows talent when he sees it. He helped developed several high-end passers at USC, turned Mac Jones into an All-American during Alabama's run to a national championship in 2020 and is now trying to do the same with Ewers.

Ewers finished the Longhorns' spring game completing 16 of 23 passes for 195 yards and a touchdown. And while Sarkisian is confident in his starter, he also is making it clear that the other guys — Arch Manning and Maalik Murphy — still have something to fight for coming out of spring. Those three gives Texas one of the nation's deepest quarterback rooms.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Screenshot_20230611-150523_kindlephoto-10357700.png.439a622e175b7a16cd2b32b5b9901d5b.png

Not-so-quiet optimism has formed around the Texas Longhorns this summer ahead of the 2023 season for a program expected to compete for a conference championship and potential Playoff berth this fall. An anonymous Big 12 assistant coach recently told Athlon Sports for its robust 2023 season preview that the overflow of speed and athleticism on offense at Texas makes the Longhorns a nightmare to gameplan for on that side of the football.

“They could get scary good if Quinn (Ewers) plays the way he’s capable of," the coach said. "They’re really close to connecting it all on offense and playing up to that standard of a Sark (Steve Sarkisian) team. Losing Bijan (Robinson) is a serious blow, no doubt, but this is the kind of scheme and the kind of roster where you just adjust to the other talent; you don’t try to fill a hole. There’s so much talent there at tight end and receiver that they’re going to burn some teams.”

The Longhorns have momentum coming off Sarkisian's second season and are widely viewed as a preseason top-20 team this fall.

"The staff has really, really changed that culture," the anonymous Big 12 coach said. "Bo Davis and those guys didn't screw around, and they've been weeding out the typical Texas entitlement we're all used to seeing. Those boys can hit now. ... They could actually back it all up this season, we'll see."

Sarkisian knows his team only goes as far as Ewers takes them, and is confident the former five-star has the tools necessary to help the Longhorns compete at the highest level. The transition from his first season as the Longhorns' starter into a more comfortable 2023 campaign is the secret sauce that should lead to notable progress, Sarkisian says.

"Year two is when you make those strides and become that elite player,” Sarkisian said during a stop on the Texas Fight Tour last month. “I saw it with Carson Palmer. In year two, he wins the Heisman trophy and ends up the first pick in the draft. I saw it in Matt Leinart. I saw it in Jake Locker, and he ended up being the 10th pick in the draft."

A quarterback whisperer of sorts, Sarkisian knows talent when he sees it. He helped developed several high-end passers at USC, turned Mac Jones into an All-American during Alabama's run to a national championship in 2020 and is now trying to do the same with Ewers.

Ewers finished the Longhorns' spring game completing 16 of 23 passes for 195 yards and a touchdown. And while Sarkisian is confident in his starter, he also is making it clear that the other guys — Arch Manning and Maalik Murphy — still have something to fight for coming out of spring. Those three gives Texas one of the nation's deepest quarterback rooms.

I'm honestly not seeing a scenario where we lose a game this fall.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Athlon sucks shit. They think there’s a QB competition between Ewers and Manning, despite the fact Manning is currently 3rd string.

But yeah, no shit we’re going to be good if Ewers plays well. Good to read he fired John Daly as his nutritionist/personal trainer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/10/2023 at 12:27 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

It should happen.....

The staff wants to replace him. They've tried moving guys to Center two years in a row, but none of them have been able to outperform Majors so far. I like the move, but Conner was quite a bit worse than Majors last year, so it's far from a given he can win the job. 

18 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The staff wants to replace him. They've tried moving guys to Center two years in a row, but none of them have been able to outperform Majors so far. I like the move, but Conner was quite a bit worse than Majors last year, so it's far from a given he can win the job. 

Conner had so many drive-killing false starts. Doesn't seem ideal for someone who wants to play center. 

50 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

once again, everyone keeps saying this - and they have been saying it for the last decade+ about every center Texas has basically had.

Kyle Flood has been at Texas for 2 full seasons. he has had many opportunities to replace Majors through recruiting, the portal, moving players over, etc. ...and it hasn't happened because Majors isn't as shit as posters keep making him out to be.

Flood has been at Texas for 25 games. Majors has started all 25 of those games.

maybe that changes this year. i doubt it though.

there is a very real chance Jake Majors starts 53 games in a row at Texas - he's currently at like 26 games going back to the Colorado bowl game his freshman year.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

once again, everyone keeps saying this - and they have been saying it for the last decade+ about every center Texas has basically had.

Kyle Flood has been at Texas for 2 full seasons. he has had many opportunities to replace Majors through recruiting, the portal, moving players over, etc. ...and it hasn't happened because Majors isn't as shit as posters keep making him out to be.

Flood has been at Texas for 25 games. Majors has started all 25 of those games.

maybe that changes this year. i doubt it though.

there is a very real chance Jake Majors starts 53 games in a row at Texas - he's currently at like 26 games going back to the Colorado bowl game his freshman year.

Yeah it's not like the guy they were trying to put their last year tore his ACL or anything. They've been saying it for a decade plus because the position since Lyle has been shit.

Majors is a liability physically, plain and simple. He can only block a portion of the playbook. Once we can improve that position, regardless of how many starts Majors has, the better.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Park Gothic said:

Conner had so many drive-killing false starts. Doesn't seem ideal for someone who wants to play center. 

Maybe he's just a leader and can't stand waiting for someone else to start the play. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

They've tried moving guys to Center two years in a row, but none of them have been able to outperform Majors so far.

Didn't they both get hurt?

Schools like OU, Oregon, FSU, Ohio State, Southern Cal, Ole Miss, Florida, Iowa & TCU have all take IOLs though the portal this year. Could none of these guys have been an upgrade over Majors? Should we have tried? I guess we will see how they all grade out after this season.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

everyone keeps saying this - and they have been saying it for the last decade+ about every center Texas has basically had.

...and they all sucked.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Majors isn't as shit as posters keep making him out to be.

He is worse. 

25 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

Didn't they both get hurt?

Schools like OU, Oregon, FSU, Ohio State, Southern Cal, Ole Miss, Florida, Iowa & TCU have all take IOLs though the portal this year. Could none of these guys have been an upgrade over Majors? Should we have tried? I guess we will see how they all grade out after this season.

how many IOL offers went out that we know of? how many IOL portal guys visited? how many center offers to recruits have gone out since January 13, 2021?

23 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

...and they all sucked.

He is worse. 

keep pushing this narrative and we can check back when Majors starts game #50, if you are even still around then.

if he's so shit, why hasn't Flood replaced him? why hasn't Flood recruited another player to play the position? why hasn't Flood given anyone a meaningful snap in a meaningful game once in the 25 games he has been in charge of the OL?

here was every scholarship player in the room last year, how many of them took meaningful snaps at C?

everyone wants to act like Junior Angilau was going to replace Majors for sure at C...he tore his ACL in the first scrimmage of preseason camp. did he take snaps with the first team, but he also did that during the 2021 season and in the spring after the 2021 season. he was still playing with the first team at RG last summer.

image.thumb.png.88af4667f2a30a1a5d01c1aa8d244a92.png

here it was for 2021:

image.thumb.png.e5931a9364e786c4b9108fca1efae3f3.png

i know it's the football board but stop posting dumb shit for the sake of posting dumb shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Majors wasn't the weakness last season..sure he's not going to bulldoze anyone, especially DTs/NTs lined up directly opposite of him... however the play of both guard positions next to him was an issue.

he is who he is. Flood has had every opportunity to replace him a ton of times or to use the Pancake Factory/HWH/OneFund/whatever it's called now to bring in someone else to play C, or at this point to recruit someone from the high school ranks to replace him.

instead...he has started Majors in every game he has had the opportunity. acting like Majors was the weakest part of the OL last year shows that people need to go back and actually watch some games.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, NoName said:

he is who he is. Flood has had every opportunity to replace him a ton of times or to use the Pancake Factory/HWH/OneFund/whatever it's called now to bring in someone else to play C, or at this point to recruit someone from the high school ranks to replace him.

instead...he has started Majors in every game he has had the opportunity. acting like Majors was the weakest part of the OL last year shows that people need to go back and actually watch some games.

Majors sucks, stfu. He hasn't had "every" opportunity to replace him either so quit trying to push that narrative. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Majors sucks, stfu. He hasn't had "every" opportunity to replace him either so quit trying to push that narrative. 

i unhid your comment for the first time since i blocked you because i assumed it would be some dumb post very easily disprovable and guess what! i was right.

he hasn't gone after a high school center in 2 cycles, a portal center in multiple portal cycles or successfully moved anyone who was on the team to take his place.

just to write it down so you can see how stupid this opinion is...Flood has had the following opportunities to replace Jake Majors at Center:

• Spring 2021
  • Summer 2021
  • Preseason 2021
  • 2021 full season where he started every game (12 games)
  • Spring 2022
  • Summer 2022
  • Preseason 2022
  • 2022 full season where he started every game (13 games)
  • Spring 2023
  • Summer 2023
  • ...soon to be Preseason 2023

but sure - that's it, he just hasn't had enough opportunities to replace him lol he's been around for 880 days and just hasn't found the time to replace him?

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, NoName said:

if he's so shit, why hasn't Flood replaced him? why hasn't Flood recruited another player to play the position?

Flood & Sark have been completely opposed to signing any interior offensive linemen in three offseasons. If they get to the Big 12 title game this year, their strategy will be 100% vindicated. I will admit that.

Edited by Josef Pwag

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

i unhid your comment for the first time since i blocked you because i assumed it would be some dumb post very easily disprovable and guess what! i was right.

he hasn't gone after a high school center in 2 cycles, a portal center in multiple portal cycles or successfully moved anyone who was on the team to take his place.

just to write it down so you can see how stupid this opinion is...Flood has had the following opportunities to replace Jake Majors at Center:

• Spring 2021
  • Summer 2021
  • Preseason 2021
  • 2021 full season where he started every game (12 games)
  • Spring 2022
  • Summer 2022
  • Preseason 2022
  • 2022 full season where he started every game (13 games)
  • Spring 2023
  • Summer 2023
  • ...soon to be Preseason 2023

but sure - that's it, he just hasn't had enough opportunities to replace him lol he's been around for 880 days and just hasn't found the time to replace him?

He did apparently look around to see if any top tier Cs would be amenable to a move, but they weren't, and it wasn't worth bringing in a JAG when Majors at least is experienced and knows the system.