2023 World Baseball Classic

Helobious

First time since 2017. Starts tomorrow night, Cuba vs Netherlands. Dominican team is loaded and should be favorites. Most games appear to be on FS1/2. The 2017 WBC kicked all kinds of ass, but it did have more stars playing in it iirc. Hopefully this edition gets close to that. 

3F5B7538-397F-4CA1-A689-F1F25FF5B960.png.4fd50563d8c3910663a4571dab148f6a.png

https://www.mlb.com/world-baseball-classic/schedule/2023-03-08

I’ll be mostly pulling for Mexico I guess, although England or the Czechs making some noise would be the most awesome.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Is there a law against Cuban national teams ever having a good-looking uniform?

You ever been to Florida? The only thing shittier than their defensive coordinators is their color palette.

Edited by Massive Horn

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

My dad texted me : how does the Netherlands have so many black players ?

Same reason the United States has black players. 

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

The Dutch team… or more accurately “Curaçao players & a bunch of scrubs”  

And they usually overachieve in this tournament. I enjoy them.

3 minutes ago, Massive Horn said:

History of slavery?

Yep.

5 minutes ago, Massive Horn said:

As an aside, we only have four on the team by my count.  We've reached NHL territory. 

Yeah well we knew that was coming for awhile. But it seems like there are more black players in college baseball now so maybe that trend will eventually reverse itself.

3 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I guess the only requirement to qualify for Italy is you have ever eaten a piece of pizza?

To be eligible for the roster, a player must have an Italian passport, be a legal resident of the country, have a parent from the country or present documentary evidence that he would be granted citizenship or a passport in due course under Italian laws, if he were to apply for such citizenship or passport.

So basically be citizen or resident of Italy or have a parent who is Italian. I don't really know what it means to be granted citizenship if you were to apply, so maybe all you need a grandparent who was Italian.

They do have a pro league in Italy and traditionally have been pretty decent for Europeans but...to win in this tournament you need a few ringers. And DeLuzio, Mastrobuoni, Pasquatino, and Valente were not born in Italy either. Most of the native born Italians on the team are pitchers.

Edited by Valmy77

8 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

So basically be citizen or resident of Italy or have a parent who is Italian. I don't really know what it means to be granted citizenship if you were to apply, so maybe all you need a grandparent who was Italian.

They do have a pro league in Italy and traditionally have been pretty decent for Europeans but...to win in this tournament you need a few ringers. And DeLuzio, Mastrobuoni, Pasquatino, and Valente were not born in Italy either. Most of the native born Italians on the team are pitchers.

Rizzo played for them in 2013. Had grandparents from there.