2023 World Baseball Classic

Helobious

I wont be surprised if this is the last year for MLB players World Baseball Classic, despite its popularity in Japan and the Latin countries. ESPN has it at the bottom of the page after Women's college gymnastics and refuses to give a shit about baseball. Then you have complete garbage idiots like olbermann and cabowabo that want it cancelled and its just way too easy to influence morons

5 hours ago, cmontexas said:

I wont be surprised if this is the last year for MLB players World Baseball Classic, despite its popularity in Japan and the Latin countries. ESPN has it at the bottom of the page after Women's college gymnastics and refuses to give a shit about baseball. Then you have complete garbage idiots like olbermann and cabowabo that want it cancelled and its just way too easy to influence morons

ESPN has been doing just about everything it can to ignore this.

BTW, this quote is gold:

“I can’t believe anybody would rather stay in spring training than play in a game like that,” Realmuto said. 

I wish they’d abolish spring training instead or cut it down to 2 weeks. All it has done EVERY year the past few years is injure half the Yankees starting rotation and give Aaron Hicks practice at how to be fucking terrible at baseball. One WBC every 4 years isn’t an issue.

7 hours ago, cmontexas said:

How could MLB stop them from playing? 

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I wish they’d abolish spring training instead or cut it down to 2 weeks. All it has done EVERY year the past few years is injure half the Yankees starting rotation

That would be a good way to injure the remaining half of the rotation. 

US vs Cuba tonight at 6pm CST! Winner goes to the Final on Tuesday night. 

Great comeback win for the US last night! It looked a bit grim as they kept bleeding runs all game, but they pulled ahead with a grand slam and kept the lead. Fun game, although seeing Altuve injured is a shame. Stuff like that is going to kill participation by MLB players in the future :(

42 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Great comeback win for the US last night! It looked a bit grim as they kept bleeding runs all game, but they pulled ahead with a grand slam and kept the lead. Fun game, although seeing Altuve injured is a shame. Stuff like that is going to kill participation by MLB players in the future :(

Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't see it. This tournament seems to be wildly popular with the players.

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

I don't buy it. These were freak injuries, a weird hand injury and an injury partying after a win. It's baseball, not football, injuries are not that common and this is what? Seven games max every three years? If it was likely to be injured in such a small number of games all of MLB would be on IR by May. 

5 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Good thing no one ever gets injured in spring training. 

Been following this really closely because the Czech Republic qualified and actually won a game, which is amazing for their baseball scene.  The Czech society got started after WWII when GIs liberated the west part of the country, but then the Commies actually cracked down on baseball as a capitalist, Western form of influence. 

A Czech pitcher, who is by trade an electrician, struck out Ohtani and earned a bar story for life.  Ohtani later wore a Czech baseball cap to Miami and now they are sold out completely.  

All around great story. Hoping to see U.S.-Japan square off but also would love to smack El Tri when it counts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I don't buy it. These were freak injuries, a weird hand injury and an injury partying after a win. It's baseball, not football, injuries are not that common and this is what? Seven games max every three years? If it was likely to be injured in such a small number of games all of MLB would be on IR by May. 

Those big $$$ contracts the MLB teams give out isn't for playing for the US in the WBC. I think we may see teams add clauses to protect against this in the future. Injuries do happen, but if you're going to get injured to the point where you can't perform your job, then you should be getting injured on company time.