2023 World Baseball Classic

Helobious

11 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

There are 25x more Mexicans in the U.S.  than Japanese. I think Fox will be plenty happy if Mexico is in the championship game. 

Japan has more eyes on TVs / screens for this event and Ohtani is probably the biggest draw in the world.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

I am cool with it. They had a great tournament. Japan just got lucky at the right moment. 

Yes, they got lucky.

They didn't drain a 75 foot full court heave, dude. They smoked two doubles around a walk and didn't even need an out. And that's after the 8th where Mexico got lucky that a wild pitch hit the batter's head or Japan would probably have tied it before the 9th even started (admittedly assuming the sac fly still happens).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

There may be more than an elite few that would have scored on that play, but not many that would have made it so easily. Dude was pretty much at the plate when the cutoff man got the ball. 

Watching live I assumed we were gonna have a close play at the plate when SS got the cutoff and turned to fire. I couldn't believe that guy was already sliding into home, basically.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Japan has more eyes on TVs / screens for this event and Ohtani is probably the biggest draw in the world.

You’re right that the ratings in Japan are off the charts. But Fox isn’t the WBC broadcast partner in Japan. Or really anywhere outside of the U.S.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

Watching live I assumed we were gonna have a close play at the plate when SS got the cutoff and turned to fire. I couldn't believe that guy was already sliding into home, basically.

Same here about expecting a close play at the plate.  The ball was hit hard, bounced off the wall directly to the outfielder, good throw to the cutoff man, etc.  But Wheels was already dusting himself off by that point.

18 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Those big $$$ contracts the MLB teams give out isn't for playing for the US in the WBC. I think we may see teams add clauses to protect against this in the future. Injuries do happen, but if you're going to get injured to the point where you can't perform your job, then you should be getting injured on company time. 

The players don't play in the WBC unless they have insurance. Diaz is insured so the Mets will be reimbursed. Altuve's contract is also insured. 

Kershaw couldn't get insurance so he couldn't play: https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cubs/what-happens-mlb-contract-if-player-gets-injured-during-wbc

Hopefully the excitement and hype around this year's event results in more guys playing. 

There's no real risk of additional injury by playing in the WBC - guys like Altuve can easily get hit by some AA player who has no control that day and get injured. Diaz's situation is probably the only one unique to the event as nobody is going to celebrate like that after a spring training game.

ETA - I just read that although the contracts are insured that they still count against the competitive balance tax (salary cap). Not a problem for the Mets though because Cohen doesn't give a shit.

Edited by The Dog
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

There may be more than an elite few that would have scored on that play, but not many that would have made it so easily. Dude was pretty much at the plate when the cutoff man got the ball. 

The speed was elite, his read was even better.

• Hook 'Em 1

That game last night was fantastic.

and love it wasn’t all “3 true outcomes” 

japan bunting in the 8th even after the guy got to two strikes. Then Japan pinch hitting with a guy that has led his league in HRs 3 of the last 4 years and he delivers a sac fly.

then the pinch runner in the 9th to score the winning run.

that’s great baseball. 

• Hook 'Em 3