Texas Midweek Games 3/7-3/8

Horny Bull

43 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

This team has pretty good upside in my opinion.

We don’t have the potential stars from last year. The pitching depth is better but what’s more important is that they finish the season strong.

We do have 2 guys that have a .300 hitting season. Several others that have shown flashes of being solid hitters. Freshmen with talent. O’Dowd and Powell have good swings. We’ve had good teams with less ability.

I’m not sure we have high-end pitching prospects but Gordon was as good as any Big 12 starter last year. Morehouse and LBJ can match many others rotation guys. Hurley looks strong. Witt can be the bonus.

They compete well. We just need to stay close enough early so that the late season matters.

Well let's not get carried away. But this was a big win against a decent mid major team.

A great start to hopefully a long winning streak. Winning can cure a lot.

Hopefully we can roll into conference play with some confidence at least.

8 hours ago, Had Enough said:

This team has pretty good upside in my opinion.

We don’t have the potential stars from last year. The pitching depth is better but what’s more important is that they finish the season strong.

We do have 2 guys that have a .300 hitting season. Several others that have shown flashes of being solid hitters. Freshmen with talent. O’Dowd and Powell have good swings. We’ve had good teams with less ability.

Which years do you have in mind?

• Haha 1

Which years do you have in mind?

There were quite a few Augie teams with hitting limitations. I don’t remember all of them but 2014 is an example. They did have Payton and Barrera. Payton hit .315 with two homers though. 2015 was pretty weak as well although Ben Johnson was good. 2016, 2017. 2014 was not great. Of course, some of those teams weren’t very good. Texassports.com only goes back to 2014, but I’m fairly certain there were other less than stellar hitting teams prior to that. I know the fences are in but Porter Brown is already close to being the home run leader on some of those teams.

There was one article I read that had Flores as a top 100 prospect before last years Draft. Thomas top 200. Maybe Belyeau too. Obviously they haven’t done it but they’ve already gotten some recognition for their potential.

Garret G and Carlson both have had solid careers elsewhere. And actually Carlson had a .300+ average so that makes 3 potential guys in our lineup.

So yeah there’s potential for this lineup. And potential for good depth with some decent hitting 1-9.

38 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

There were quite a few Augie teams with hitting limitations. I don’t remember all of them but 2014 is an example. They did have Payton and Barrera. Payton hit .315 with two homers though. 2015 was pretty weak as well although Ben Johnson was good. 2016, 2017. 2014 was not great. Of course, some of those teams weren’t very good. Texassports.com only goes back to 2014, but I’m fairly certain there were other less than stellar hitting teams prior to that. I know the fences are in but Porter Brown is already close to being the home run leader on some of those teams.

There was one article I read that had Flores as a top 100 prospect before last years Draft. Thomas top 200. Maybe Belyeau too. Obviously they haven’t done it but they’ve already gotten some recognition for their potential.

Garret G and Carlson both have had solid careers elsewhere. And actually Carlson had a .300+ average so that makes 3 potential guys in our lineup.

So yeah there’s potential for this lineup. And potential for good depth with some decent hitting 1-9.

2011-2016. Somehow we went from a freak lineup in 2010 to not being able to hit a beach ball the rest of Augie’s tenure 

2014 was weird. Those dudes were streaky. And horribly under coached. Luckily they got hot at the right time 

7 guys hitting over .250 now with our stat padding stretch coming up. Issue is the other 3 guys who see AB's (Flores, Campbell, Thomas), are .161 or worse. Need those 3 to be comfortably above .200 by the time conference play comes around.

Edited by Hookem2147

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Eh, this win will mean nothing and be forgotten a couple series into league play.  Maybe the first series in league play.  

Disagree. Sam Houston State will probably win their league. It will be our only pre-Big 12 win to do anything for us. They were our last chance for a decent win before we start league play and we got it. That was big. 

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

What was the year where Augie and the staff said their goodbyes before the Big 12 tournament because they figured they were getting fired and then we accidentally won the tournament? 2015?

Yep. Rolled into the NCAA tournament as a three seed.

For some reason the mygoodstream links haven't worked for me so far this year. Every time I click on one it tells me I need a VPN and won't do anything. The next link looks like it's going to fire up but then gives a license failure error. Anyone else having this issue? 

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

1-out walk, steal 2nd, take 3rd on a flyout, 2-out grounder through the infield scores the run. 

Like watching the 1987 Cardinals manufacture one.

Was that the year Tom Herr had more than 100 RBI but fewer than 10 bombs?