Daisy Jones & The Six on Amazon Prime

Bama Chick

Didn’t see a thread for this, so apologies if I missed it - search function suuuuuucks.

Anyway, one of my FAVORITE books and the first three episodes dropped last week, with a one episode a week schedule moving forward.

Book synopsis -

A gripping novel about the whirlwind rise of an iconic 1970s rock group and their beautiful lead singer, revealing the mystery behind their infamous breakup.

Everyone knows DAISY JONES & THE SIX, but nobody knows the reason behind their split at the absolute height of their popularity . . . until now.

Daisy is a girl coming of age in L.A. in the late sixties, sneaking into clubs on the Sunset Strip, sleeping with rock stars, and dreaming of singing at the Whisky a Go Go. The sex and drugs are thrilling, but it’s the rock ’n’ roll she loves most. By the time she’s twenty, her voice is getting noticed, and she has the kind of heedless beauty that makes people do crazy things.

Also getting noticed is The Six, a band led by the brooding Billy Dunne. On the eve of their first tour, his girlfriend Camila finds out she’s pregnant, and with the pressure of impending fatherhood and fame, Billy goes a little wild on the road.

Daisy and Billy cross paths when a producer realizes that the key to supercharged success is to put the two together. What happens next will become the stuff of legend.

The making of that legend is chronicled in this riveting and unforgettable novel, written as an oral history of one of the biggest bands of the seventies. Taylor Jenkins Reid is a talented writer who takes her work to a new level with Daisy Jones & The Six, brilliantly capturing a place and time in an utterly distinctive voice.

The structure of the narrative is the band members and the people intertwined in their story are being interviewed in present day by a journalist and they jump back and forth of their telling of the story from their perspective - all unreliable narrators. And then we get flashbacks to what the “real” story is.

Daisy Jones is played by Riley Keogh - daughter of Lisa Marie Presley and granddaughter of Elvis. And you can definitely see and hear the Elvis in her.

Sam Claflin plays Billy Dunne - the lead singer. I’ve only seen him in “The Hunger Games” movies and “Enola Holmes”, but he’s been really good so far.

The rest of the cast is pretty unknown to me except Timothy Olyphant who plays a sleezy tour manager and he’s shirtless a lot and Suki Waterhouse.

c8374abf3c0c31cea2614955cf9e15f7.jpg

I’m curious to see what y’all think! Definitely recommend it.

• Hook 'Em 3

i was pleasantly surprised by the first 3.  there's one thing about the format that drives me crazy but i won't mention it because it will likely lessen your experience.

fun fact, a bunch of this was shot at the bottom of my street.  they transformed the viper room into filthy mcnasty's for at least 10 days and had shit going on between there and the whiskey (one block west) for 2-3 weeks.  since they used mostly bar/storefronts, they didn't really close sunset, so it was like you were driving in 2022, then for a block you were in 1970, then back to 2022.  trippy.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

If you like the show, read the book! It’s great.

All of TJR’s books are good - “The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo” is particularly good.

I think it’s been optioned by Netflix.

These last two episodes exceeded my expectations - Nicky can DIAF and the shower/bathtub scene was perfect.

And Sam Claflin in the “I know what you look like when you’re in love with someone” scene was - whew

• Hook 'Em 1

Really well done series. Touching.

As much as I have a crush on Riley Keough, and as hot as Karen the key boardist is, Camilla is flat out gorgeous and sexy as fuck.

I just looked her up and saw pictures of her in bikini on beach with a fat Di Caprio….

b85ebead3c20f19bdaab72ad6e793616.jpg

I finishes the series and I've had a couple days to reflect. 

- An infinitely rewatchable series. I could watch 10 times and still be smiling at the end of the 10th watch. 

- That said, I think we got a Diseny ride version of Fleetwood Mac. Given the success of the series, the cost/interest in period pieces, I bet this is it. But hey, we got something. 

- Silver Springs is a great song. I found it because of this show. Stevie staring holes into Lindsey was the inspiration for the book/show. 

- Fleetwood Mac's music is much better than Daisy Jones, but Honeycomb is a great song. I don't think they really explained Billy's reluctance to play it very well. They just kind of made it a point that Billy didn't want to play it because he's mad at Daisy. Period. End of sentence. I watched this show pretty late at night. If I dozed off and missed something, my apologies. 

- I could have used about 1 more episodes to make me care about Karen and Graham. 

- Episode 10 is a master class in pacing and flashbacks. I was heart broken at the beginning and beaming at the end. Amazing. 

• Like 1

Just finished the series. Wow, that last episode left me in a glass case of emotions. 

I know there won't be a second season, but someone needs to make a Warren spin-off, because I would watch the shit out of that. "No one asks me to sign their tits anymore, but that's alright. OK, that's not true. Lisa, sometimes, just to be nice."

I listened to the audiobook of this and didn’t particularly like it, which I think is partly due to the interview format and constantly hearing people state their name before speaking 2 lines and then moving onto the next character.

The story felt like the Hallmark version of Almost Famous. Most of the main characters had a happy ending, but there were drug references and f-words sprinkled throughout in an attempt to make it sound dark and edgy. Rock and roll music is full of real life stories that involve actual tragedy, so this kinda flirted with tragedy but never let anyone suffer any serious consequences, and the story felt a little too clean and polished as a result.

Most of you seem to like the series. Is it still worth a watch if I didn’t love the audiobook?

16 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I listened to the audiobook of this and didn’t particularly like it, which I think is partly due to the interview format and constantly hearing people state their name before speaking 2 lines and then moving onto the next character.

The story felt like the Hallmark version of Almost Famous. Most of the main characters had a happy ending, but there were drug references and f-words sprinkled throughout in an attempt to make it sound dark and edgy. Rock and roll music is full of real life stories that involve actual tragedy, so this kinda flirted with tragedy but never let anyone suffer any serious consequences, and the story felt a little too clean and polished as a result.

Most of you seem to like the series. Is it still worth a watch if I didn’t love the audiobook?

It was entertaining. The interviews didn’t distract from the show imo.

However the rest of your critique matches how I felt. Meh. I wanted to like it a lot more than I did, nostalgia and all that. Ultimately I didn’t buy the interpersonal tension that was the crux of the show.

24 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Pretty much the same feelings here. Wanted to like it, but it was basically The Lifetime Fleetwood Mac Story.

13 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Pretty much the same feelings here. Wanted to like it, but it was basically The Lifetime Fleetwood Mac Story.

I watched the first two episodes last night and this is exactly where I'm at.  Riley Keough is absolutely mesmerizing, but none of the other characters/actors are remotely interesting.  

18 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Beyond the way they looked and acted on stage, none of their story tracked with Fleetwood Mac's history.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...